British Red Cross - Ebola Outbreak Appeal

Ovis aries

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, one DCFC fan is doing his bit. The lad with the seat next to mine in the South Stand has been told today he's being posted to Sierra Leone.

750 troops are going out to set up medical centres there and he's one of them.

Can't say I'd fancy that posting

I think we may have been slow to react to Ebola, but they made a right screw-up of overplaying H5N1 bird flu. I have just set up a non- contamination unit in my house - it involves a kitchen table with a big blanket draped over it.

You are good citizen, sir. I hope that you have enough Victory Gin to last you through the current crisis, that you have a picture of Goldstein on your under-the-table dartboard and that you still set aside time for your daily five minute hate.

You are good citizen, sir. I hope that you have enough Victory Gin to last you through the current crisis, that you have a picture of Goldstein on your under-the-table dartboard and that you still set aside time for your daily five minute hate.

I was unsure in truth of your reference to Goldstein. I googled and assume perhaps you refer to 1984? You may have to further enlighten me as it is not, shamefully, a book I have ever read. I come from the era of Protect and Survive, so with me in my contamination shelter, will be the good lady wife, a lot of tinned product, in particular bully beef, numerous bottles of beer, and a bucket. I will store up all my wit, irony, sarcasm, and occasional hatred, until the wife has poked her head outside and tells me it is safe to venture out.

I was unsure in truth of your reference to Goldstein. I googled and assume perhaps you refer to 1984? You may have to further enlighten me as it is not, shamefully, a book I have ever read. I come from the era of Protect and Survive, so with me in my contamination shelter, will be the good lady wife, a lot of tinned product, in particular bully beef, numerous bottles of beer, and a bucket. I will store up all my wit, irony, sarcasm, and occasional hatred, until the wife has poked her head outside and tells me it is safe to venture out

All three (Victory Gin, Goldstein and the Five Minute Hate) are references to 1984.

Basically our (and all) governments want us to exist in perpetual fear, therefore if nothing happens, they have fulfilled their mandate of 'keeping us safe', even by doing nothing.

As far as kitchen tables are concerned, it is also possible to fashion an adequate (if somewhat cramped) shelter from a series of doors leaned up against a wall. However, choose your doors wisely, lest you invite into your house the mutant radiation-poisoned survivor zombies who will surely be wandering the streets as soon as the pretty mushroom-shaped cloud and its nice warmth has dispersed.

(I'm from the same era)

I think we may have been slow to react to Ebola, but they made a right screw-up of overplaying H5N1 bird flu. I have just set up a non- contamination unit in my house - it involves a kitchen table with a big blanket draped over it.

Ah ha.. You should always learn from the schoolboy mistakes of others.

I've been to Argos and purchased a zip up tent.

Totally air tight and sound proof.. I've got the wife testing it till it's needed by me.

975/9432.

Archived