Confirmed: Freeman to Mansfield Town on 93 day loan

CumbrianRam

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Defender Kieron Freeman says he has not had the opportunity to prove himself under Derby County boss Steve McClaren.

The 22-year-old has joined League Two side Mansfield Town on a 93-day emergency loan and played in Saturday's 1-0 home defeat by Accrington Stanley.

Freeman moved to the Rams in 2012, but has spent much of his time out on loan.

"I've played about 30 games for Derby and after the change of managers I've never been given a chance," Freeman told BBC Radio Nottingham.

"I haven't played in the last year-and-a-half. I haven't been in the team. I don't know how I'm meant to prove myself."

The former Wales Under-21 international has not made a first-team appearance for Derby since McClaren took over from Nigel Clough in September 2013.

Freeman joined Notts County on loan in November and then had a spell under Clough at Sheffield United in March

And he is grateful to have now been given the chance to play regularly with the Stags.

Freeman played nine games for Mansfield on loan in 2011-12 and said that boss Paul Cox played a "massive" role in bringing him back to the club.

"It's so much easier to know him than to come to a manager I don't know, so I owe a lot to him," he said.

"It's a good club, a big club, with a big fan base, and a good manager and staff. I know a few of the boys, so it's nice for me to settle in."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29511950

I understand where he's coming from, it would be frustrating, but is he not there everyday in training? He's had two very good right-backs to compete with in the past year and he should appreciate that. 

I don't think he's a bad player, far from it, but, I don't think he's as good as Shotton or Christie. He can have no complaints really. 

Archived