PC Experts

EastKentRam

Need some assitance with purchasing a desktop.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to stuff like this but think I need a few requirements. Will basically purely be used for running poker applications and internet ****.

Prepared to spend the extra for a Solid State Drive, which massively boosts speed/performance from what I've read? That's my main requirement with everything else being fairly trivial.

Also want to hook up two monitors to it so need the correct video card?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRA-FAST-Quad-Core-8GB-1TB-120GB-SSD-Desktop-HTPC-Gaming-PC-Computer-AMD-HD-/141379021685?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-I5-4460-Quad-Core-Fast-Office-Home-Multimedia-Pc-Computer-SSD-4Gb-Van-B-/121187196201?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

They're just two thing I've found without looking much? Realise they dont come with an operating system but that's no problem although would rather they did. Any recommendations for websites?

Any help appreciated.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless you're doing anything that needs quick read or write times, which apparently you're not, the only difference you're likely to notice by using an SSD is in boot speed. To be totally honest for what you plan to use it for you could easily get by with a sub

Unless you're doing anything that needs quick read or write times, which apparently you're not, the only difference you're likely to notice by using an SSD is in boot speed. To be totally honest for what you plan to use it for you could easily get by with a sub

Thanks for the reply Dave, appreciate that.

What are quick read and write times? From poker forums/sites I've read a lot of people suggest getting the SSD as it helps with running the HUD software (stores every hand you play, stats etc, I must have hundreds of thousands of hands)

That link is useful, looks like I was going to over spend massively. What's the difference between those two links I posted and the one you posted that justifies them being more expensive?

Any advice on monitors at all? If I bought the one in that link I'd have much more to spend on a couple of decent monitors. 

So based on it being predominantly used for running multiple poker sites, basic internet use and maybe watching movies etc what would you buy? The link you posted?

Read/write times are how long it takes to access or move files on your system, hence why boot speeds are so much faster on SSD's.

As Daveo mentioned, but also, it's only a mini-ITX which is about half the size of the two you posted. Whilst there are the obvious space saving advantages, it means specifications tend to be weaker, and leaves very little room for upgrading/adding extra storage/memory. 

You wouldn't happen to have the recommended specs for the poker applications?

Yea what Daveo said, the one I linked is considerably less powerful than the 2 in the OP but should cope fine with your needs.

Haven't used HUD software myself for a long while but I can understand why it would perform better drawing from a load of small files with an SSD. The poker forum nerds will know better than I anyway.

What size monitors are you after?

Yea what Daveo said, the one I linked is considerably less powerful than the 2 in the OP but should cope fine with your needs.

Haven't used HUD software myself for a long while but I can understand why it would perform better drawing from a load of small files with an SSD. The poker forum nerds will know better than I anyway.

What size monitors are you after?

I'm not quite sure, I'm edging towards getting two roughly 18 inch monitors hooked up together. It seems the higher the resolution the more expensive they are. The higher the resolution the more tables you can fit onto one screen, but with two 18 inch monitors I dont think that will be an issue. 

Read/write times are how long it takes to access or move files on your system, hence why boot speeds are so much faster on SSD's.

As Daveo mentioned, but also, it's only a mini-ITX which is about half the size of the two you posted. Whilst there are the obvious space saving advantages, it means specifications tend to be weaker, and leaves very little room for upgrading/adding extra storage/memory. 

You wouldn't happen to have the recommended specs for the poker applications?

Ok, I found this, not sure if it's what you asked but ;

In a test while running eight Pokerstars tables, the Poker Stars download software only used19,740K of physical memory and 2-4% of the total CPU resources.

Compare this with Full Tilt Poker, which used 82,260K of physical memory and 10-22% of the total CPU resources.  Pokerstars is extremely efficient while being a robust poker software application.  You can feel safe downloading Pokerstars for use on your laptop or older computer.

Pokerstars Windows Download Minimum Requirements

Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT 4 , Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista

Yeah, the one Dave posted would be adequate, but like I said, with it being a much smaller case, doesn't leave you with a lot of flexibility should you want to add more storage.

As you'd be multi-tasking (i.e. lots of windows open) you'd probably want a more powerful motherboard (more cores/more GHz), and more RAM, I wouldn't recommend any less than 8GB.

As for your monitors, two 18" monitors would be suffice. I have a 22" and that's more than enough for 2 windows of Chrome side by side.

Ok, taking what you've said into account, I've found a few more links. No idea on the reliability of these sellers but they seem to meet the criteria you're saying. Which one would you recommend, considering value for money as well? Or would you look elsewhere?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Fast-Quad-Core-8GB-120GB-SSD-Desktop-Office-PC-Home-Computer-AMD-HD-128554-/141329310623?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item20e7e2239f

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GH81-I5-4460-Quad-Core-Fast-Office-Home-Multimedia-Pc-Computer-SSD-8Gb-Van-B-/371044649761?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item5663fc0b21

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-GB-6300-Six-Core-Fast-Office-Home-Multimedia-Pc-Computer-SSD-8Gb-Galaxy-/370808517107?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item5655e8f1f3

Also, is it easy to sort an operating system for these sort of desktops? What operating system would you choose? The latest Windows whatever?

Sorry for all the questions, but I havent got a scooby with this sort of stuff.

Archived