RD comments on Sammon, from transfer thread

peakram

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Polite Ipswich fan here again. I was at the game yesterday at the Madejski and saw the great man in action. Conor replaced David McGoldrick with around 20 minutes to go and teamed up with his compatriot Daryl Murphy in a 4-4-2 formation, against an injury hit Reading side hanging on to a 1-0 lead.

He was busy, and immediately started winning set-pieces through what seemed to be his strength, but also an ability to know what the officials were looking out for. He was as awkward as hell, and you could see the Reading defenders getting flustered. It was a pity he replaced McGoldrick, who is not fully sharp or match-fit after last season's injury. McGoldrick has a really inventive footballing brain, and would have been better at exploiting the spaces Sammon created rather than Murphy.

His trademark moment - and I thought of you all when it happened - was a wonderful pirouette to the left of Reading's box, where he beat two defenders, only to promptly beat himself as the ball ricocheted off some part of his lower anatomy, and straight out into touch. Only Sammon could do this, but I suspect you already would have known this.

I'm off to Birmingham for our away game on Tuesday, and will report back. I think that the trick with him as a supporter is to manage ones own expectations of what he will deliver. He is a useful striker, but possibly useful in a way that is different to any other striker who has ever existed, and our hope is that Mick and Terry will find ways to exploit this.

Polite Ipswich fan here again. I was at the game yesterday at the Madejski and saw the great man in action. Conor replaced David McGoldrick with around 20 minutes to go and teamed up with his compatriot Daryl Murphy in a 4-4-2 formation, against an injury hit Reading side hanging on to a 1-0 lead.

He was busy, and immediately started winning set-pieces through what seemed to be his strength, but also an ability to know what the officials were looking out for. He was as awkward as hell, and you could see the Reading defenders getting flustered. It was a pity he replaced McGoldrick, who is not fully sharp or match-fit after last season's injury. McGoldrick has a really inventive footballing brain, and would have been better at exploiting the spaces Sammon created rather than Murphy.

His trademark moment - and I thought of you all when it happened - was a wonderful pirouette to the left of Reading's box, where he beat two defenders, only to promptly beat himself as the ball ricocheted off some part of his lower anatomy, and straight out into touch. Only Sammon could do this, but I suspect you already would have known this.

I'm off to Birmingham for our away game on Tuesday, and will report back. I think that the trick with him as a supporter is to manage ones own expectations of what he will deliver. He is a useful striker, but possibly useful in a way that is different to any other striker who has ever existed, and our hope is that Mick and Terry will find ways to exploit this.

Nice one, hope it works out for both Ipswich and The Fish - God I really hope it works out

Polite Ipswich fan here again. I was at the game yesterday at the Madejski and saw the great man in action. Conor replaced David McGoldrick with around 20 minutes to go and teamed up with his compatriot Daryl Murphy in a 4-4-2 formation, against an injury hit Reading side hanging on to a 1-0 lead.

He was busy, and immediately started winning set-pieces through what seemed to be his strength, but also an ability to know what the officials were looking out for. He was as awkward as hell, and you could see the Reading defenders getting flustered. It was a pity he replaced McGoldrick, who is not fully sharp or match-fit after last season's injury. McGoldrick has a really inventive footballing brain, and would have been better at exploiting the spaces Sammon created rather than Murphy.

His trademark moment - and I thought of you all when it happened - was a wonderful pirouette to the left of Reading's box, where he beat two defenders, only to promptly beat himself as the ball ricocheted off some part of his lower anatomy, and straight out into touch. Only Sammon could do this, but I suspect you already would have known this.

I'm off to Birmingham for our away game on Tuesday, and will report back. I think that the trick with him as a supporter is to manage ones own expectations of what he will deliver. He is a useful striker, but possibly useful in a way that is different to any other striker who has ever existed, and our hope is that Mick and Terry will find ways to exploit this.

Hopefully he tears the league up with you and we get back what we paid. Win, win. Sammon works hard and offers something but not the sort of player I want to pay to watch.

That's basically what you get with Sammon. It takes a great amount of patience, tactical nous and unconventional play to get any worth out of him. But he does have his uses, honestly he does. It's just not an easy job to put him to good use.

That pirouette into tripping over the ball and himself is trademark Sammon  :lol:

Archived