Neil Lennon, good manager or not?

RLACML

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neil Lennon would be an awful choice. Terrible terrible manager.

RL, let's set on one side that like Spain and Italy the Scottish Premier League is a fairly limited competition. You can only beat the opposition put in front of you.  Let's also set on one side that the amount of money sloshing around in Scottish football is relatively small when compared to the EPL and other leagues and therefore even the 'top' Scottish teams (one only at the moment) struggle to recruit properly top class players from around the world.

Glasgow is, from my personal experience, a hot house of cultures and religious and footballing ferment. In four years, Lennon's Celtic won their league three times, their cup twice and qualified for the knock out stages of the European Cup.  He also had to deal with being assaulted on the pitch, being sent bullets through the post and having legitimate bomb threats made against him.  He coped with and suffered from clinical depression, never mind the constant and microscopic attention that being a football manager brings in that city.

He may not be the right choice for Palace, but I don't think it fair to say that he's a terrible, terrible manager

RL, let's set on one side that like Spain and Italy the Scottish Premier League is a fairly limited competition. You can only beat the opposition put in front of you. Let's also set on one side that the amount of money sloshing around in Scottish football is relatively small when compared to the EPL and other leagues and therefore even the 'top' Scottish teams (one only at the moment) struggle to recruit properly top class players from around the world.

Glasgow is, from my personal experience, a hot house of cultures and religious and footballing ferment. In four years, Lennon's Celtic won their league three times, their cup twice and qualified for the knock out stages of the European Cup. He also had to deal with being assaulted on the pitch, being sent bullets through the post and having legitimate bomb threats made against him. He coped with and suffered from clinical depression, never mind the constant and microscopic attention that being a football manager brings in that city.

He may not be the right choice for Palace, but I don't think it fair to say that he's a terrible, terrible manager

He only ever won the league when Rangers weren't there (or points deduction). He won 2/7 domestic trophies and he qualified to the champions league group stages 1/3. He did well to get them to the last sixteen but it was the only notable thing he did in his time. He's actually quite good at signing players, but terrible at managing.

He is a very solid manager and one fans will like if he becomes coach of their team.He has the pull to sign players also,but as RLACML says he doesnt always manage those right.He is solid in certain aspects but pretty bad in others.With seasons underway he now is in the waiting game for a new job.

He only ever won the league when Rangers weren't there (or points deduction). He won 2/7 domestic trophies and he qualified to the champions league group stages 1/3. He did well to get them to the last sixteen but it was the only notable thing he did in his time. He's actually quite good at signing players, but terrible at managing.

In his first season they finished just a point behind Rangers, the next if you ignore the points deduction they finished 10pts ahead of Rangers and won the following 2 titles.

4 seasons, 5 trophies.

Terrible manager my arse.

What makes you say he isn't great?

Wouldn't it be fair to say he's a young manager 4 seasons into his career, he's won trophies up in Scotland and it will be interesting to see how he does in England.

I would like to see him in the Championship next, a club that's looking to push on into the play offs, a club like Ipswich or Brighton if they didn't have managers.

In his first season they finished just a point behind Rangers, the next if you ignore the points deduction they finished 10pts ahead of Rangers and won the following 2 titles.

4 seasons, 5 trophies.

Terrible manager my arse.

First season, he didn't win the league. Second season, Rangers were in turmoil. The two league titles after that are literally irrelevant, Celtic would win the league without a manager. 

In 2009/10 - Lost to first division Ross County in the Scottish Cup semi final

In 2010/11 - Lost to Rangers in Scottish League Cup final

In 2011/12 - Lost to Hearts in Scottish Cup semi final, Lost to Kilmarnock in Scottish League Cup final

In 2012/13 - Lost to St Mirren in Scottish League Cup semi final

In 2013/14 - Lost to Aberdeen in Scottish Cup fifth round, Lost to relegated first division side Morton in League Cup first round

I was wrong before. Lennon entered 9 domestic cup competitions as Celtic manager, and won 2. To manage in a Scotland basically without Rangers and only do that is a shocking record. He did well to reach the last sixteen of the Champions League but didn't have any success in Europe besides that. 

The only reason Celtic fans liked him for so long was because he's 'one of them' and he got sympathy for the death threats etc. 

First season, he didn't win the league. Second season, Rangers were in turmoil. The two league titles after that are literally irrelevant, Celtic would win the league without a manager.

In 2009/10 - Lost to first division Ross County in the Scottish Cup semi final

In 2010/11 - Lost to Rangers in Scottish League Cup final

In 2011/12 - Lost to Hearts in Scottish Cup semi final, Lost to Kilmarnock in Scottish League Cup final

In 2012/13 - Lost to St Mirren in Scottish League Cup semi final

In 2013/14 - Lost to Aberdeen in Scottish Cup fifth round, Lost to relegated first division side Morton in League Cup first round

I was wrong before. Lennon entered 9 domestic cup competitions as Celtic manager, and won 2. To manage in a Scotland basically without Rangers and only do that is a shocking record. He did well to reach the last sixteen of the Champions League but didn't have any success in Europe besides that.

The only reason Celtic fans liked him for so long was because he's 'one of them' and he got sympathy for the death threats etc.

How many managers win the league in their first season? Finished second by 1 point!

League titles are never irrelevant, he's won 3 plus 2 cups in 4 seasons. That is not a terrible manager, don't talk soft they could have done it with no manager, ridiculous thing to say.

Also the Ross County defeat was after 1 month in charge, he only took over in March when the season was almost over and you're counting that. And what about managers like Wenger and the cup exits he's had over the years?

How many managers win the league in their first season? Finished second by 1 point!

League titles are never irrelevant, he's won 3 plus 2 cups in 4 seasons. That is not a terrible manager, don't talk soft they could have done it with no manager, ridiculous thing to say.

Also the Ross County defeat was after 1 month in charge, he only took over in March when the season was almost over and you're counting that. And what about managers like Wenger and the cup exits he's had over the years?

My mum could have managed Celtic and done that. Poor manager, ginger pussy and a bloody cnut to boot. Close thread.

My mum could have managed Celtic and done that. Poor manager, ginger pussy and a bloody cnut to boot. Close thread.

Shut up you!

Following Mowbray's departure from Celtic on 25 March 2010, Lennon was appointed caretaker manager for the remainder of the 2009

League titles are never irrelevant, he's won 3 plus 2 cups in 4 seasons. That is not a terrible manager.

Celtic winning the league is like Rangers winning the league the last two years, it's as expected as can be. You don't gain any credit for doing it. Similarly to Lennon, McCoist hasn't done a good job and Rangers fans are now turning on him.

The cups aren't as important for Wenger. For the past few years, Celtic winning the league was a given, so he should have been able to win at least one trophy a season, and probably win a treble. 

The Ross County defeat was a month into the job but it's still a first division side. Lennon's side got a reputation for bottling the big events

Celtic winning the league is like Rangers winning the league the last two years, it's as expected as can be. You don't gain any credit for doing it. Similarly to Lennon, McCoist hasn't done a good job and Rangers fans are now turning on him.

The cups aren't as important for Wenger. For the past few years, Celtic winning the league was a given, so he should have been able to win at least one trophy a season, and probably win a treble. 

The Ross County defeat was a month into the job but it's still a first division side. Lennon's side got a reputation for bottling the big events

Utter rubbish, winning any league is not a given. The cups aren't as important for Celtic either, it's all about winning the league and a strong European campaign.

Pulling out games like Ross County, look at Barca, Real, Man Utd etc. results over the years, look at the teams they have lost to.

4 seasons winning 3 league titles and missing out on 1 by 1 point is an achievement, throw in a couple of league titles and you have yourself a successful manager

Utter rubbish, winning any league is not a given. The cups aren't as important for Celtic either, it's all about winning the league and a strong European campaign.

Pulling out games like Ross County, look at Barca, Real, Man Utd etc. results over the years, look at the teams they have lost to.

4 seasons winning 3 league titles and missing out on 1 by 1 point is an achievement, throw in a couple of league titles and you have yourself a successful manager

For Celtic to have a successful season, they need to win the league, a cup and do well in Europe. Lennon did that once in four years

Neil Lennon never played Real Madrid or Manchester United. Played Barcelona four times and won once. Fair play for winning once but one game doesn't make a good manager. Take a look at his European record, he had three bad years and one good. 

Ahhh makes sense now

I'm Scottish and here's my expert opinion on the old firm. Rangers are scum, but they know it. Celtic are scum but think they are saints. Celtic are the scummiest of the scum, horrible club and people. Rangers > Celtic.

Pointless discussing this any further, clear hatred for Celtic, obviously anything they do will be rubbished by you.

Thinking any club in any league are given a title and could do it with no manager is plain silly talk.

Ahhh makes sense now

Pointless discussing this any further, clear hatred for Celtic, obviously anything they do will be rubbished by you.

Thinking any club in any league are given a title and could do it with no manager is plain silly talk.

I hate Celtic, I hate Neil Lennon. That is completely irrelevant to this discussion. 

How is saying that Celtic should win the league easily, showing clear hatred for them? I'm saying that Celtic are that much better than every other Scottish team. It pains me to say it. 

But you're right, it is pointless discussing it further. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Well done to Neil Lennon, he sure beat the might of St. Mirren and Kilmarnock.

Archived