Neil Lennon, good manager or not?

RLACML

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every dog also has it's day off, for every bad game I can show you a good one.

Inept moron with 3 league titles and 2 cups 4 seasons into his career ;)

Scottish trophies...

...seriously Daveo, you really love Celtic don't you.

Lennon is a bit untried, but nothing wrong with clubs looking at him. Actual leagues are very different from Scotland, but on his record currently the worst you can say is that he might lack the experience of managing a side that is struggling to stay competitive.

You can only beat what's put in front of you though, and he's done that.

I wouldn't mind a cheeky bet that he doesn't win 3 league titles and 2 cups in the next 4 seasons at Palace..... ;)

That would be cheeky and I would say no bet!

I'm not saying he's a great manager (yet) just not a terrible manager, he's new to management and had great success up at Celtic. I don't think he should go to Palace, wait for a Championship club falling just short of the play offs, see what he can do with them.

He's still a young manager with a lot to learn, taking on a club fighting for Premiership survival is a big task, walking into another managers squad and if they went down I doubt he would be given a crack in the Championship next season with them, he'll be gone that's football

That's not really relevant ... besides which, Commons went up there for an easy ride and we all know that.

Exceedingly small pond, medium sized fish.

I didn't know that, not had a chance to speak to him yet.

Scottish trophies...

...seriously Daveo, you really love Celtic don't you.

Lennon is a bit untried, but nothing wrong with clubs looking at him. Actual leagues are very different from Scotland, but on his record currently the worst you can say is that he might lack the experience of managing a side that is struggling to stay competitive.

You can only beat what's put in front of you though, and he's done that.

Again I was defending a comment that said he was a terrible manager. Trophies are trophies in any country, even the A League, I'm sure you will fire a stat at me showing how easy each is to win but he still won them and should be noted as achievements. If he was a terrible manager he wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes up there just like John Barnes.

Again I was defending a comment that said he was a terrible manager. Trophies are trophies in any country, even the A League, I'm sure you will fire a stat at me showing how easy each is to win but he still won them and should be noted as achievements. If he was a terrible manager he wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes up there just like John Barnes.

To be completely honest I'd rate an A-league trophy as more worthwhile than a Scottish one, from the manager side of things at least. In Scotland the method of getting a title at the moment is "Be Celtic", in the A-league sides have to battle with a salary cap, so it's a good test of what a manager can actually do. There are rumours going around that Tony Popovic from the Western Sydney Wanderers might even be an outside chance of taking the reigns at Crystal Palace, and he hasn't even won an Australian title yet.

As I said, there's nothing to say he's a terrible manager, but pointing to Scottish trophies and going "look how good he is!" would be a bit pointless as the Scottish title at this moment really isn't worth much, either in terms of standard, nor balance. It's Celtic dominating a sinking league.

You're right though, Lennon could only beat what's in front of him and he did that, you can't call him a terrible manager, but at the same time those same achievements say little about how well he would do elsewhere.

To be completely honest I'd rate an A-league trophy as more worthwhile than a Scottish one, from the manager side of things at least. In Scotland the method of getting a title at the moment is "Be Celtic", in the A-league sides have to battle with a salary cap, so it's a good test of what a manager can actually do. There are rumours going around that Tony Popovic from the Western Sydney Wanderers might even be an outside chance of taking the reigns at Crystal Palace, and he hasn't even won an Australian title yet.

As I said, there's nothing to say he's a terrible manager, but pointing to Scottish trophies and going "look how good he is!" would be a bit pointless as the Scottish title at this moment really isn't worth much, either in terms of standard, nor balance. It's Celtic dominating a sinking league.

You're right though, Lennon could only beat what's in front of him and he did that, you can't call him a terrible manager, but at the same time those same achievements say little about how well he would do elsewhere.

You see I would disagree and put A League trophies around the same level as Grimsby Sunday League H, but they are still trophies and an achievement for whoever wins them.

I'm also looking at the odds and can't see this Popovic guy anywhere, and if he even gets a phone call from Parish I will step down and hand this forum over to you.

You see I would disagree and put A League trophies around the same level as Grimsby Sunday League H, but they are still trophies and an achievement for whoever wins them.

I'm also looking at the odds and can't see this Popovic guy anywhere, and if he even gets a phone call from Parish I will step down and hand this forum over to you.

I really wouldn't suggest that, but you know...

Don't think it'll happen, but I think you'll find there's more legs to the rumour than you'd think.

Former player, coach, assistant manager, and actually one who is wanted by some of their fans. Worked under tight constraints in the A-league, is a good man manager and a decent tactician. Again, doubt it, but you never know.

As for your thoughts on the Australian league, again, people seem to have hit a nerve with the whole Scottish thing. Calm down mate.

No nerves have been hit at all, I think you know my thoughts on Australian football way before this thread even came up.

First few years we had a Gold Coast United fan on here, I haven't changed my opinion over the years

No nerves have been hit at all, I think you know my thoughts on Australian football way before this thread even came up.

First few years we had a Gold Coast United fan on here, I haven't changed my opinion over the years

That's nice, watching it first hand and as much of the Championship as I can, I'd probably rate the better teams in the league around maybe midtable in the Championship in terms of quality, but under less pressure they tend to play a better brand of football. Brisbane Roar in particular play some brilliant football.

The league has really moved on since Clive's circus though, oh those were dark days for the Australian League. He's a politician now, I kid you not.

Paul Jewell is a former PL boss...............

They named the three former Premier League bosses supposedly in the frame.

The odds on Popovic are shortening... Now 20/1 having not even been listed when Daveo checked it seems. He's 5th favourite now...

Archived