hughes at dm

Tricky1884

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought he was the best player on the pitch yesterday. He might struggle if there are lots of bodies thrown forward but that's not too different to most other players. Important thing about Hughes is that once he wins the ball, he NEVER loses it again. Even if it's a very simple pass, he always makes it instinctively, whereas some players might overthink it under pressure. Will always follows his instincts, which have always served him well. We've always known that in this way, Hughes is vital to our possession game, but at CDM he's even more vital.

Until he puts a foot wrong, I can't criticise him in that position.

Hughes is showing great ability for his age. Not many players can play so well as a DM/holding mid, CM and AM. I would prefer him as an AM. However given the circumstances I would play him in that role. It also gives an opportunity to another player on the bench due to Hughes' versatility. You have Eustace as backup. Which allows a greater opportunity for Bennett and perhaps Calero to be part of the match day squad. 

There's no doubting Hughes's vision, range of passing, and passing accuracy plus his ability to run with the ball. Playing deeper in the DM role allows him more space for these attributes to shine.

The real test will come when we are under pressure as to whether he can shield the centre-backs, break up the opposition attacks, and win tackles. The key to the DM role is being a defensive influence and lynch pin.

Will Hughes has all the attributes to become a great defensive midfield player. George may have his work cut out to get back. (How good are we)

I think he might end up there in the latter stages of his career. I still feel that he'd be an exceptional #10.

I think he might end up there in the latter stages of his career. I still feel that he'd be an exceptional #10.

Completely agree. We have seen him at his best here. When he shows his class and ability.He shows glimpses and then we all remember why everyone rates him so highly. Unfortunately he has never had a real opportunity. I hope he at some point gets a run of 5 or so games playing their and our formation switches to revolve around him. 

Against Rangers he wasn't playing against the quality that in parts the DM role will face in the championship, yes he had a good game and potentially was the best player for Derby or infavt on the pitch for the duration of the 90 minutes but by bringing in a loanee in that position would also keep the motivation high and each spot would be challenged, with Hendrick, Bryson and Hughes all playing and Thorne injured, the only player really challenging for a spot would be Calero but at this level he seems to be an impact player and may not make the starting 11 with the situation is, without development.

It will be incredible if he can step up to this role, what a great way to integrate our 3 best players. Thorne labelling him 'Busquets' may be a bit strong though!

i hate how people compare him to buesquets, he's no will hughes!

Archived