What rule would you change or add/remove?

Mafiabob

The thing that really annoys me (except of course when Derby players do it) is 'shielding' the ball out for a goal-kick.

I think this is legal under the current rules, provided the player is near enough to play the ball.

However, the player is clearly making no attempt to play the ball, in fact if he did, and it went out, it would be a corner.

Similar to the back-pass to the keeper under the old rules, where the keeper could pick it up, this often gets the defender out of a tricky situation and breaks up an attack.

I read a suggestion somewhere that the rule should be changed so that shielding is only legal when the player is in control of the ball and to be in control of the ball he should not only be near enough to touch it, but should have already touched it. When he's done this of course it would be pointless to let it go out of play.

On the other hand, I hate these petty little rules that make the game more complicated.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always wanted to ban all offsides, I know games might end up 47 - 48 , and every team might have a fat goal hanger scoring goals, but it would be like games played at school. It always annoys me how many times game stopped for off side, and the linesman usually gets it wrong

I always wanted to ban all offsides, I know games might end up 47 - 48 , and every team might have a fat goal hanger scoring goals, but it would be like games played at school. It always annoys me how many times game stopped for off side, and the linesman usually gets it wrong

think the linesman gets probably gets it right 95% of the time.....

think the linesman gets probably gets it right 95% of the time.....

This set me thinking..what if the linesman and the referee got it right 100% of the time?

We've now got goal line technology that can detect if the ball is 1mm over the line.

What if this was extended to cover every event in the game?

A sensor in the ball signals the exact millisecond the ball is kicked and cameras instantly detect which players

have any part of the head, body or feet in an offside position.

Sensors in the players' clothing indicate when the shirt is pulled or a player is tripped......

No one would be able to get away with any infringement of the rules.

Perfect, but wouldn't it all be a bit boring?

This set me thinking..what if the linesman and the referee got it right 100% of the time?

We've now got goal line technology that can detect if the ball is 1mm over the line.

What if this was extended to cover every event in the game?

A sensor in the ball signals the exact millisecond the ball is kicked and cameras instantly detect which players

have any part of the head, body or feet in an offside position.

Sensors in the players' clothing indicate when the shirt is pulled or a player is tripped......

No one would be able to get away with any infringement of the rules.

Perfect, but wouldn't it all be a bit boring?

It would be boring! Still.... I would imagine Wenger, Pardew, Pulis, Mourinho etc would still find something to blame the referee for a defeat!

Seriously though, When a manager moans about a referee decision costing them, you never hear a manager say anything when a lets say 50:50 decision goes there way.

I always believe in what goes around comes around.

Everyone makes mistakes. We're only human :)

Give out yellow cards for simulation.

I'm talking about those knobs who feign injury, and then magically get up and run around fine after wasting two minutes.

The worst is when someone fakes an injury, lies on the floor then jumps to his feet the moment the yellow card has been handed out.

I'm talking about those knobs who feign injury, and then magically get up and run around fine after wasting two minutes.

The worst is when someone fakes an injury, lies on the floor then jumps to his feet the moment the yellow card has been handed out.

Agreed, whatakes it worse is that they are looking to see if the referee will get the card out whilst on the ground....

I would love to see a rule come in where any controversial decisions by REFEREES as to be accountable on tv, that means them having to discuss why they made that decision on SKY, MATCH OF THE DAY, etc, for to long ref's been getting away with murder and there decisions should be discussed with the media. What do you think?

I've heard that idea quite a lot, but what do you think they're actually going to say?

There's 2 options for why a ref gives a wrong decision shirley. Either they didn't see it properly or they were biased towards team X. Now I personally don't think any pro refs show bias, but even if they did they'd hardly come out and say so we'd just repeatedly get the same post match interview from the ref.

I suppose you might get the odd admission that they got their positioning wrong to see a certain incident but aside from that how would it be of any benefit to anyone?

Or when a player goes down outside of the touch line and rolls back into the field of play. Ah-la Millwall.

I would love to see a rule come in where any controversial decisions by REFEREES as to be accountable on tv, that means them having to discuss why they made that decision on SKY, MATCH OF THE DAY, etc, for to long ref's been getting away with murder and there decisions should be discussed with the media. What do you think?

you going to get every striker to explain why they missed an open goal or a defender who missed a tackle that led to a goal? Everyone makes mistakes!

1 Outlaw boots with blades, proper cogs only!

2 Put the lace back in footballs

3 Scrap the offside law (reintroduce the position of goal hanger)

4 Referees to wear black boots with white laces

5 No points for 0 - 0, most tattoos one point

6 No goal celebration bookings (except for kissing the badge)

7 Dump this dropped ball crap, straight on with the stretcher, play on

8 Red card, yellow card, pink card for diving cheats

9 Scrap fining clubs, mass player punch up, dock points ( as an alternative, mass player punch up, bonus points)

10 Jumpers for goal posts

9 Scrap fining clubs, mass player punch up, dock points ( as an alternative, mass player punch up, bonus points)

sounds like a Sunday league match.... Count me in

Could we extend #9 to managers? Billy Davies and Nigel remains one of the more amusing sights I've seen. Perhaps just bonus points for clocking Billy Davies?

you going to get every striker to explain why they missed an open goal or a defender who missed a tackle that led to a goal? Everyone makes mistakes!

World of Sport, which ran in Melbourne for nigh on 40 years, had a terrific segment called What's Your Decision?

Umpires (AFL)/ refs didn't mind explaining. Usually, you learned that there was an explanation you'd not considered or a reason they were unsighted (you know, the foreign object of his shorts type reasoning).

Or that they were just stupid..

Archived