Centre Half required?????

Seeing as this was supposedly one of our weaknesses last season by virtue of goals conceeded (compared to those teams in the top half), does it raise any concerns that we now have 4 central defenders with another on the forever injured list (appols SB) and that will be our lot for opening day.

Basically, if we dont replace Wisdom with someone equal to or better we will be weaker and liable to concede at the same rate which equates to a non top 2 finish.

I would have thought a quality CB to put pressure on Bucko and Keogh were a necessity but now we have landed Whitbread that looks like a no-no with OB as further back up.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shaun Barker will play in a pre-season friendly.  That will determine whether that is the end of the road for him or not.

Whitbread is a championship level centre-back and OB is fourth choice as it stands, fifth if Barker makes it.

It's worth remembering the second half of the season proved we were far more tight at the back, so it might not be the most urgent place to strengthen.

We got to 3rd in the league with Keogh and Buxton.

Who is saying they can't do that again with a full season under McClaren?

Hopefully Whitbread won't kick a ball this season because he won't have to as Keogh and Buxton are keeping us in the top two in the league.

Whitbread back up no more

Barker will never play for DCFC again as much as i hate to admit

OB Div 1 class...shame

We wont get 46 games out of our first choice guys taking in to account injuries and suspensions. I suppose loans may come in handy but the guy from Man U was just not up to the standard.

Still stand by my guns that we need a.n.other

??????

Was throwing something out there that i think if not at least addressed could hold us back this season.

All Rams fans need to accept that even IF Barks got fit again he would never dislodge the current incumbents. Need to move him to back room staff for starters.

Doesnt get away from fact that a 3rd option with paceand heighte is a necessity.

personally i dont think we need any, i worked out a while ago since McClaren came in we were the 5th tightest defence in the league, and we've been much better since birmingham, considering our attacking play im very happy with that, as we are bound to concede goals due to how we play

dyche is after keogh, so if someone whos job it is atm to find premier league players, who does football for a living than a mere hobby wants keogh for the premier league, who are we (or a lot of people that think he is only a solid championship defender, it has been said on here) to argue

and most of us rate bucko more than keogh, so by logic we dont need a new one

personally i dont think we need a new first team CB, if we had a defense as good as our attack then we'd supporting a champions league team

Good point. I suppose if you throw Thorne into the equation post Brum we looked a lot better. We still imo need a better option than Whitbread as back up.

I know there has been the link with Burnley and Keogh, but dont rule out links with Dyche and Bucko. I know for a fact that after 0-2 game their fans were well impressed with the big man. Bucko very much in the style of Dyche only a hundred times better.

Archived