Potential issue at centre half

davenportram

Just updated the contract dates thread with Whitbread and Naylor and realised that all of our centre halfs, bar Bucko with a one year option past 2015 , have contracts expiring in 1 year.

I hope that the guys behind the scenes are working on extensions because if we don't go up next year we could be held to ransom on contracts, or lose very valuable players for nothing.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barker, Naylor, O'Brien will hardly be missed, Whitbread looks like a 1 year cover when hopefully we get promoted and won't need him. Keogh if we was to get promoted I would hope we would be looking at better.

No issues here for me to be honest

Barker, Naylor, O'Brien will hardly be missed, Whitbread looks like a 1 year cover when hopefully we get promoted and won't need him. Keogh if we was to get promoted I would hope we would be looking at better.

No issues here for me to be honest

More concerned if we don't get promoted with Keogh potentially going for free, bucks would stay. But it's quite conceivable we could end the season with only 1 contracted centre half.

I think Burnley will be in for Keogh if they don't get Craig Dawson from West Brom.

The Baggies turned down a Burnley bid for Dawson last week but the player has put in a transfer request this week - a bit like the Thorne situation.

Dyche rates Keogh and he is Burnley's second choice after Dawson.

Can imagine Shackell and Keogh playing together with Trippier and Mee either side. Not a bad defence.

I think Burnley will be in for Keogh if they don't get Craig Dawson from West Brom.

The Baggies turned down a Burnley bid for Dawson last week but the player has put in a transfer request this week - a bit like the Thorne situation.

Dyche rates Keogh and he is Burnley's second choice after Dawson.

Can imagine Shackell and Keogh playing together with Trippier and Mee either side. Not a bad defence.

In the Premier League?

That is what i'd call a bad defence. The only one I'd back to make the step up is Trippier

Well....Shackell, Duff, Trippier and Mee were the BEST defence in the Championship last season - only 37 conceded in 46 games and ZERO in two games against the Rams.

Even if Burnley keep the same defence, it will be better than several Premier League teams - Leicester, QPR, West Brom, Villa and probably a couple of others. Even losing Lee Grant worked in their favour.

If they get Craig Dawson from West Brom, I can see Burnley staying up. 

Well....Shackell, Duff, Trippier and Mee were the BEST defence in the Championship last season - only 37 conceded in 46 games and ZERO in two games against the Rams.

Even if Burnley keep the same defence, it will be better than several Premier League teams - Leicester, QPR, West Brom, Villa and probably a couple of others. Even losing Lee Grant worked in their favour.

If they get Craig Dawson from West Brom, I can see Burnley staying up. 

I don't buy into them being the best defence, they had to deep-lying centre mids in front of them. 

Had less possession than their opponents, generally, and looked to park the bus - somewhat. It'd have been like us playing with Thorne and Eustace centre mid. 

I don't buy into them being the best defence, they had to deep-lying centre mids in front of them. 

Had less possession than their opponents, generally, and looked to park the bus - somewhat. It'd have been like us playing with Thorne and Eustace centre mid. 

Rubbish:)....They played 4-4-2 in every game home and away with Ings and Vokes up front. Two wide men (Kightly and Arfield) playing alongside a normal central 2 (Jones & Marney).

In my book, the best defence is the one that lets in the least goals (Burnley) and the most clean sheets (Burnley 2nd after Brighton). They did not have to park the bus (scored in 20 of their 23 away games).

Rubbish:)....They played 4-4-2 in every game home and away with Ings and Vokes up front. Two wide men (Kightly and Arfield) playing alongside a normal central 2 (Jones & Marney).

In my book, the best defence is the one that lets in the least goals (Burnley) and the most clean sheets (Burnley 2nd after Brighton). They did not have to park the bus (scored in 20 of their 23 away games).

Having seen both players play for us, it's quite terrifying to think that the best defence of the 2005/06 Championship ( which only let in 30 league goals all season) was built on a central pairing of Claude Davis & Youl Mawene.

Think on. How the hell did that even happen? (Billy Davies in charge will have helped, back when he was actually worthy of some respect)

Conceding less goals than another team doesn't necessarily equal having a better defence from a personnel perspective.

Keogh clearly has decent resale value so we should be looking to extend regardless of the division we're in in a year's time.

OB was a very hot prospect, but news on his recovery seemed thin on the ground last season. If I recall he made the bench on a handful of occasions. Is he recovered? Can he be the force he promised to be? I guess we're not going to know for sure until Christmas.

Whitbread seen as temporary cover hence the one-year deal.

Everyone thinks it's likely Barker won't play again. Everyone hopes we're proved wrong.

Archived