The Official DCFCFans World Cup Prediction League, sponsored by Mafiabob

eddie

Just a quick note about first goal scorers - there are a few 'common' names  (Rodriguez for a start - there are 5 of them across the 32 squads) with subtle accent variations. Similarly, there are a few where one squad has 2 players of the surname. 

Basically I'm going to try to run a Vlookup an hour or so before the first game of each day to check whether I can identify a match for all the FGS selections against my master list (yes, I HAVE entered all 32 bloody squads into the master workbook). Any which don't match exactly but I can see an obvious spelling mistake (could be yours, could be mine) I will change. Any where I can't spot the error (perhaps I've missed a squad change from this week) then I will publish a list. There's also 'funnies' like Mikel John Obi / John Obi Mikel. On the official list his name is Obi. That's what I've used, but it should be easy for me to spot those.

On to the blooming South Korean squad. In order to avoid confusion (because they are phonetic representations), please use the whole name from the following list (or better still, hope they never score first):

Jung Sung-ryong

Kim Chang-soo

Yun Suk-young

Kwak Tae-hwi

Kim Young-gwon

Hwang Seok-ho

Kim Bo-kyung

Ha Dae-sung

Son Heung-min

Park Chu-young

Lee Keun-ho

Lee Yong

Koo Ja-cheol

Han Kook-young

Park Jong-woo

Ki Sung-yuen

Lee Chung-yong

Kim Shin-wook

Ji Dong-won

Hong Jeong-ho

Kim Seung-gyu

Park Joo-ho

Lee Bum-young

Forgot to add:

Please leave off ALL accents, umlauts etc when adding your FGS because I'm using an automated system for name matching.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick note about first goal scorers - there are a few 'common' names (Rodriguez for a start - there are 5 of them across the 32 squads) with subtle accent variations. Similarly, there are a few where one squad has 2 players of the surname.

Basically I'm going to try to run a Vlookup an hour or so before the first game of each day to check whether I can identify a match for all the FGS selections against my master list (yes, I HAVE entered all 32 bloody squads into the master workbook). Any which don't match exactly but I can see an obvious spelling mistake (could be yours, could be mine) I will change. Any where I can't spot the error (perhaps I've missed a squad change from this week) then I will publish a list. There's also 'funnies' like Mikel John Obi / John Obi Mikel. On the official list his name is Obi. That's what I've used, but it should be easy for me to spot those.

On to the blooming South Korean squad. In order to avoid confusion (because they are phonetic representations), please use the whole name from the following list (or better still, hope they never score first):

Jung Sung-ryong

Kim Chang-soo

Yun Suk-young

Kwak Tae-hwi

Kim Young-gwon

Hwang Seok-ho

Kim Bo-kyung

Ha Dae-sung

Son Heung-min

Park Chu-young

Lee Keun-ho

Lee Yong

Koo Ja-cheol

Han Kook-young

Park Jong-woo

Ki Sung-yuen

Lee Chung-yong

Kim Shin-wook

Ji Dong-won

Hong Jeong-ho

Kim Seung-gyu

Park Joo-ho

Lee Bum-young

Forgot to add:

Please leave off ALL accents, umlauts etc when adding your FGS because I'm using an automated system for name matching.

so do you just want the surname not full name?

so do you just want the surname not full name?

For the Koreans, the full name please. Fore everyone else, surname only. And no, I'm not pasting 736 names.

So spelling mistakes will be void?

I'm looking forward to this. :)

No, spelling mistakes won't be void - just do your best, Boycie. Nobody will judge you.  :lol:

The predictions that have already been made have been entered into the master spreadsheet, and it automatically checks for a match on the FGS. The ones that don't match are highlighted, and a quick check of the squads let me identify the spelling mistakes, ambiguities (two players named Valencia in the Ecuador squad etc), players who have withdrawn or not been selected for their country's squad (e.g. Ribery). I then PM'd the participant with the changes I had made (e.g. obvious spelling mistake) and highlighted matches where they needed to make a change and re-submit that selection.

Is there a prize though?

Cos they like prizes on here.

Isn't the knowledge that they have beaten everyone else into a bloody pulp and grabbed bragging-rights for the next 4 years a prize in itself?

Stewart should hold an enquiry. the organiser seems to be favouring one participant.

We're up to about 14 now, so mo55y's chances are down to 75%

Archived