QPR fan in peace -- a little context

flatfoot

oh ffs people take things too literally nowadays,

its like saying "oh that car is sick"

or "oh that car is gay"

hence, "oh that car is aids"

the car isn't actually phyciscally sick or homosexual and it certainly doesn't have an immunodeficiency virus, it's just a figure of speech.

And like it or not this is the society we live in today. Haters gonna Hate

I have to say mate that I didn't find your comment offensive in the slightest.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good OP, very educational.

But, to be honest, I don't give a toss about the context, or about QPR. They've got naff all to do with me, and if they disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't really care. But, over the past couple of years, my thoughts have gone from utter indifference, to a proper loathing of the club.

I'm not sure if it pisses me off, or if I find it funny, or what, but I just can't believe they spent so much, on so many genuinely good players - you can call them crocks, or whatever, but pretty much every single one of your players ought to be very much at home in most prem squads, and have known great success, you don't just turn **** overnight, unless, apparently, you play for QPR - and still managed to get relegated. Not only that, but you splashed out on a manager who was once touted as the next England manager, and, to be fair to him, managed to break the impenetrable top four and get Spurs in the Champions League. And you still managed to get relegated.

You were given everything you could possibly want, on a plate, and still managed to chuck it all away. And just when you thought that was that for QPR, lesson learnt, time to be a bit humble, lo and behold most of your big names actually stayed on for the immediate bounce back. You should have walked away with this league. But instead there were 3 teams clearly better than you, showing you that there is another way to run a football club.

It's the arrogance of the owners that pisses me and others off, and I think that arrogance has permeated to the manager, the players, and the fans. "We'll just chuck a bunch of money at it, buy the best players, then we'll just turn up, and we're bound to win."

So now I am hugely looking forward to stuffing you, so you won't earn promotion, all your players and your manager either being sacked, or, more likely, leaving in a blaze of sour grapes, saying they didn't want to be there anyway, and then you tumble down the league, til you find your natural place in the order of things. As has been said, QPR are, at best, a second tier club, but you're nouveau riche, and you can't buy class.

For me, you're worse than Forest, I only hate Forest more, because they're Forest.

And yes, spare a thought for the poor fans... ******! Like you weren't loving it when Fernandes waltzed in and started buying up all these players. You reap what you sow.

The only things the fans splashed out on were their season tickets.  You speak as if it is the fan base and not the owners who have made these purchases.  Of course we wanted to see money spent but not at the expense of our identity.  Most wanted to stick with our promotion winning squad and add a few key signings.  What we did is replace virtually the lot which was certainly not what the fan base wanted.

The only things the fans splashed out on were their season tickets.  You speak as if it is the fan base and not the owners who have made these purchases.  Of course we wanted to see money spent but not at the expense of our identity.  Most wanted to stick with our promotion winning squad and add a few key signings.  What we did is replace virtually the lot which was certainly not what the fan base wanted.

This is what people seem to miss, people mix what the club are doing and the fans are doing a bit too much at times. It's much easier to look at a club than see what the fans are like.

My only words to the true heart of QPR is that I hope you get through this period in one piece, because as we're seeing around the football world, money isn't always the answer, the heart and soul of the game is the fans, not the owners. You can own a stadium full of plastic seats, but if it goes wrong you won't simply be able to fill it with plastic fans anymore, and if the heart and soul were ripped out to make it to that point, that's where the trouble begins.

I hope it's a great game at Wembley, and I don't wish any misfortune on QPR. I would just recommend avoiding comments like "we only spent", because that is what makes QPR fans seem out of touch with the rest of the league.

If our owners started chucking money about then we'd all protest by not going to games...

It's football that's the problem. Not QPR as such.

However if we appointed Harry Redknapp then I'd shoot myself. And some of the tw@ts you've signed are laughable. If Redknapp and some of those players were here at Derby I'd be complaining everyday.

I've seen Harry's magic at his other clubs. Doesn't matter how many journalists he has in his pocket everyone knows that Redknapp spends fortunes and has nothing to show for it in relevance.

The players at QPR. They aren't hungry footballers. A bunch of has beens following the money and have all the "do you know who I am" swagger.

Yes we know who you are. You all had 5 minutes in the spotlight which now you use to command big wages and strut about like you've actually won something.

I saw Redknapp write about Tim Sherwood. "Whoever spent £111m should be held responsible for the dud players. There should be an investigation to who finalised these deals"

LOL!!!! Does he not see the joke?!?!

------

I'm sure there are plenty of decent QPR fans. You boys seem alright. But (as can't be helped unfortunately) your club is easy to hate. You have attracted some right idiots with the way you've gone about business. Both fans and players.

It's sad that the traditional QPR fan gets to feel excited about an owner coming in and trying to give you great experiences but that has been ruined by the circus that's followed.

I can't help it. I hate QPR. No problem with you chucking money about. That's an option any owners has. It's risk v reward and the only way to reach the elite. It's the way QPR have gone about it.

From Sousa/Warnock treatment to bringing in super loans and buying cnuts.

I can't wish you luck in the future as a club. Sorry to the decent Rangers fans like yourselves.

Don't mind the money aspect, not the fans fault they have owners who seem want to throw good money after bad at it...may think there is a tinge of jealously there too.

However, I don't like the arrogance in a fan base that can seem to rear its head quite quickly in these cases.

The money thing is interesting. When we were first taken over by our Thai owners, they got in Sven-Goran Eriksson as manager, on a big salary, and he started paying out lots of money on slightly-but-not-much better-than-average players. Initially, I think most City fans were very excited about this, but within a surprisingly short space of time, we started to get seriously p1ssed off with the attitude that most of them displayed. Most of them clearly didn't give a flying fvck about the team or the fans, and were only interested in the money they were earning. And that showed in the results.

One of the best things about Nigel Pearson coming back is that he got rid of most of the big-earners, and replaced them with players who put in a real effort, week after week. And even though we are now in the promised land (for a season at least) the management and owners are emphasising a cap on wages of £30K a week: still obscene, of course, but much less than most clubs pay.

I think that most real football fans don't mind too much if players are paid a lot - after all, it's a short career. What sticks in the craw for most of us is when players are over-paid and don't try. That seems to be what irks many QPR fans - and many non-QPR fans - about the squad that Hughes and Redknapp have assembled over the past two or three years.

Incidentally, as a complete neutral I must say that this is a very enjoyable thread to read, especially as most of the posts are both literate and balanced. I'm surrounded down here by egg-chasing fans who think all football fans are air-headed numpties - to the extent that they express surprise that I support Leicester City "because you don't look like a hooligan". Especially when I do look like one.

First of all, let me just say best of luck in the final, may the best team win. Since Mclaren has taken over and the times I've seen you on Sky - been very impressed and you are rightly favourites.

Right, can I just address these QPR creeps on here... seriously please stop with the "please don't hate us" crap. We as a club/fan base don't need to explain where we have come from to other fans of other clubs. Its embarrassing that it seems to hurt your feelings that other clubs don't like us. No offence Rams and none will be taken but I couldn't give a fk what you think of us. If you want to judge a clubs entire existence on several years of OWNERS doing what they like with the club thats your problem.

Also as far calling QPR fans cocky, I've had a quick breeze through some of your threads and well the irony is there for all to see.

Hope we win and if so, I will be back to gloat ;) U R'ssssssss

First of all, let me just say best of luck in the final, may the best team win. Since Mclaren has taken over and the times I've seen you on Sky - been very impressed and you are rightly favourites.

Right, can I just address these QPR creeps on here... seriously please stop with the "please don't hate us" crap. We as a club/fan base don't need to explain where we have come from to other fans of other clubs. Its embarrassing that it seems to hurt your feelings that other clubs don't like us. No offence Rams and none will be taken but I couldn't give a fk what you think of us. If you want to judge a clubs entire existence on several years of OWNERS doing what they like with the club thats your problem.

Also as far calling QPR fans cocky, I've had a quick breeze through some of your threads and well the irony is there for all to see.

I'd much rather you come up to me outside Wembley and gloat to my face.

Of that, I have no doubt.

I'm actually questioning your sanity - why would you go to the trouble of registering on "the enemy's" message board just to try to get a point across that you have no point to get across in the first place? It all seems rather pointless. A bit like QPR's form over the last couple of months of the season.

i do agree that there are a few people on here that are just as arrogant as that at the rangers boy's, i wont name names, but there has been one post i read on this thread and thought, what an arrogant cock, he can hardly go on about qpr's arrogance.

im going to say this, the majority of posts made by qpr fans on here have been welcomed gratifyingly as there is no hatred or arrogance about it, but you are going around telling other people to not bother whether others like them or not, we are a social creature, we want people to like us, in real life and over the internet, and if people started disrespecting and making alligations that i didnt agree with about derby county, i would defend it, as most people would, dont slate other people for their actions

my second point is about you saying dont judge your entire existence on a few owners, the simple fact is were not doing that, pretty much everyone on here, and me, understand that the main view of qpr in its entire history has been to develop its own players, and not to be a money laudering club, we are not judging you on that, its the manner of how you have gone about things recently as to why many people dislike your club, of how youve been spinning money around a mill like you have it free to burn

and lastly, i have none whatsoever, any intentions of making an account on your forum's, to gloat, to gloat over one insignificant game in the league would be one thing, but to come and gloat over winning a £120,000,000 game of such importance is another, i wouldnt mind the first but the latter i find disrespectful

i will say i in no manner 'hate' qpr, or wish them failure, i would much rather them redevelop and start going about there business the 'right way', as i do understand that there are real fans about qpr that will stick with their club through thick and thin, and its for them i would feel sorry for to see their club burn, i for one would hate to see derby do so and end up fighting for football league survival, but i will stick with my rams till the end, every club has the die hard fans, even qpr, and even chelsea

In my time QPR came to the fore with Gerry Francis, Stan Bowles, Phil Parkes, Don Givens, Dave Thomas etc.

Under the management of Dave Sexton they took off and Terry Venebles did a good job there later on too.

They've had their moments. They're not known for being dirty or obnoxious - unlike say Millwall.

At times they've played football.

And they did us a favour when they poached the Doc of us.

They also sold us John Gregory who was actually quite popular as a player believe it or not.

The incident that sticks with me the most was an away game when the ref - alan 'topsy' turvey - sent off both bruce rioch and charlie george as a result of some alleged verbals after having ballsed up one of our set pieces.

The documentary programme on them when they went through Ainsworth, Dowie, Sousa, and Warnock was a classic.

They are not unlike west brom in many ways.

I'm just hoping they try to play football , so that we get to play our game.

barton will be gunning for chris martin though so lets just hope that ref isn't another topsy turvey and we keep all our 11 on the pitch.

I just want us to play like we did v forest, watford and brighton.

If we do then it will be a great day.

George thorne has made us much better than when we beat QPR at home, and the whole team is better than when we lost away.

But i still fear that we have the potential to fall flat as we did v leicester, and burnley.

COYR

Purely out of interest: this hatred of QPR for how the club has "gone about things".

Would it be so black and white, so vitriolic if, say, we were a small club in Blackburn, maybe, or Wigan that bought success?

And another thing: if our spending had led us to success in the Premier League rather than the abject failure. Like Fulham, say, or Stoke, would it have made a difference to your hatred.

Be honest...

Ah, Gerry, Stan, Phil, Don and Dave....they were the days when (some) footballers were'nt so pretensh ptretenc up their own arse they liked to be known by shorter names and fans (well me anyway) felt they were more approachable and not so aloof as some of them appear to be today...and no chuffin' headphones either.  ;)

Archived