QPR fan in peace -- a little context

flatfoot

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You, with a fraction of our wage bill and transfer costs, finished comfortably clear of us in third place, won more games than us, scored more goals than us and played better football than us.

Play-offs can be a real bugger...

Top marks for that response mate, proper made me chuckle

SillyBilly

Don't mind the money aspect, not the fans fault they have owners who seem want to throw good money after bad at it...may think there is a tinge of jealously there too.

However, I don't like the arrogance in a fan base that can seem to rear its head quite quickly in these cases.

A small request. KEEP AWAY FROM WATRB. I do not know of any QPR fan who would describe us as  big club. We certainly do not have your illustrious history and our fanbase is tiny in comparison

Personally, I do not think it is even possible nowadays for a club to become a big club, with the PL so sewn up between 5-6 clubs. You already have the history, with the added advantage of only having one team to represent your city. If you believe in teams being where they belong, then we are second level and you first. It makes little difference in 2 weeks time. Whichever team wins, they have a tricky season ahead in the PL.

If you win, I will wish you all the luck in the PL, as I am not quite too sure whether your squad are ready (and beating us will give you little indication!)

3.  We've only really spent on Austin, Simpson and Philips.  Most of the others are loan deals

6.  Who knows what would have happened if Austin hadn't been injured.  Certainly our poor form coincided with loosing Austin, Simpson and Philips.  Also this is when some of our loans like Morrison and Yossi joined.

Normally I have a lot of sympathy for fans of clubs that are being run in this way, the ones who feel the club are leaving them behind chasing fairies, but my word. Only really spent on Austin, Simpson and Phillips?! ONLY?!

I get Simpson came on a free (though likely high wages), but consider the other two:

Matt Phillips: ~£5 million

Charlie Austin: ~£4 million

You know our "big ticket" signings this off season?

Johnny Russell: ~£750k

Craig Forsyth: ~£150k

Our biggest signing since we came down was probably Sammon at £1.2 mil, yet you talk about Phillips and Austin as though they are minor signings, instead of the mega bucks moves that most Championship clubs see them. That's why supporters of other clubs hate QPR, that's why people think they go about it the wrong way. The frees you brought in as well were absolutely ridiculous for this level (as in number, quality and alleged wages), the likes of Yossi Benayoun and Richard Dunne. That's the issue, you appear to have no concept of how other clubs operate. £750k for most Championship clubs is a big ticket signing, you're talking about a pair of transfers that could cover more than a decade of transfers for some clubs at this level as though it is a minor spend.

As for "if Austin hadn't been injured", the simple point is that he was. Plenty of clubs lose key players for long periods of time. We lost one of our candidates for player of the season last year early on this season in Coutts, and he's still out, Barker's career may well have been ended against Forest well over a year ago now and so forth. It happens, get over it. If any club can cover for the loss of a key player, it's one that's outspending some entire clubs on single players.

Good luck in the final, I hope it's a good context, but don't dare play the "woe is us" card on those two points, they are comical and exactly the reason many fans hate QPR.

Well I registered today because you all seemed to be judging us on the basis of the posters on" wearetherangersboys" a website set up and run to divide the fanbase by allies of Gianni Paladini .

Also we were accused of being Chelsea wannabe fans which frankly is an insult . Rangers fans hate Chelsea with a passion not least because of the rascist thread that runs through their club from the days of Paul Canoville to the present club captain .

I have enjoyed today

how much truth is there in your comment about who set up wearetherangersboys? If that is true, then it's a very interesting move.

was this forum set up by allies of jim fearn? Or murdo? Ah, it was max rush!

Another QPR fan here . 

WATRB is an embarassment for us (Known as Fantasy Island by Rangers fans)   . Try Loft for Words , brilliant writing by the guy that runs the site (have a look at Mondays match report) and a crossection of ages and opinions .

Loads of us have been on there for years so we get some good threads going . 

To be fair, I have been posting on WATRB for a few months, and while there are a couple of foul-mouthed and small-minded cnuts on there (one called QPR Dave is particularly objectionable) most of the posters seems reasonable - albeit, completely QPR-biased. Of course, as a Leicester City fan, no-one would ever accuse me of being biased in any way.

OK, I'm going.

Incidentally, I think the OP was good, and very balanced.

Normally I have a lot of sympathy for fans of clubs that are being run in this way, the ones who feel the club are leaving them behind chasing fairies, but my word. Only really spent on Austin, Simpson and Phillips?! ONLY?!

I get Simpson came on a free (though likely high wages), but consider the other two:

Matt Phillips: ~£5 million

Charlie Austin: ~£4 million

You know our "big ticket" signings this off season?

Johnny Russell: ~£750k

Craig Forsyth: ~£150k

Our biggest signing since we came down was probably Sammon at £1.2 mil, yet you talk about Phillips and Austin as though they are minor signings, instead of the mega bucks moves that most Championship clubs see them. That's why supporters of other clubs hate QPR, that's why people think they go about it the wrong way. The frees you brought in as well were absolutely ridiculous for this level (as in number, quality and alleged wages), the likes of Yossi Benayoun and Richard Dunne. That's the issue, you appear to have no concept of how other clubs operate. £750k for most Championship clubs is a big ticket signing, you're talking about a pair of transfers that could cover more than a decade of transfers for some clubs at this level as though it is a minor spend.

As for "if Austin hadn't been injured", the simple point is that he was. Plenty of clubs lose key players for long periods of time. We lost one of our candidates for player of the season last year early on this season in Coutts, and he's still out, Barker's career may well have been ended against Forest well over a year ago now and so forth. It happens, get over it. If any club can cover for the loss of a key player, it's one that's outspending some entire clubs on single players.

Good luck in the final, I hope it's a good context, but don't dare play the "woe is us" card on those two points, they are comical and exactly the reason many fans hate QPR.

I think it's a reason, rather than a complaint that we lost our two most attack-minded players and the goals dried up. Moist QPR fans will tell you that it was an accident waiting to happen - and buying old crocks like Johnson, Zamora and Doyle was scant insurance.

One player that no one has mentioned and that we have perhaps felt his loss the most is Alejandro Faurlin who is, perhaps one of the most talented midfielders I have ever seen at the club - streets ahead of Adel Taarabt in my opinion...

Oh, and as for Dunne and Benayoun, not many people were interested in taking them on - and we certainly didn't throw any money at them. Dunne was even told he would be turfed out if he failed to play 30 games this season...

I think it's a reason, rather than a complaint that we lost our two most attack-minded players and the goals dried up. Moist QPR fans will tell you that it was an accident waiting to happen - and buying old crocks like Johnson, Zamora and Doyle was scant insurance.

One player that no one has mentioned and that we have perhaps felt his loss the most is Alejandro Faurlin who is, perhaps one of the most talented midfielders I have ever seen at the club - streets ahead of Adel Taarabt in my opinion...

Oh, and as for Dunne and Benayoun, not many people were interested in taking them on - and we certainly didn't throw any money at them. Dunne was even told he would be turfed out if he failed to play 30 games this season...

Sounds like it's already too late.

We've only had these huge signings and money being thrown around for three seasons.  Before that it was very much austerity for as long as I can remember.  So we may have picked up some fans that don't remember us fighting for survival financially but the vast majority of our season ticket holders do.

As said before on this thread the vast majority of us want to see youth development and players progressing through the ranks with some supplemental signings rather than our current policy on blowing vast chunks of cash on over the hill players.  I think this season the signing policy is getting more realistic.  That's not to say were not still spending big relative to other clubs in this division.  

It's a shame the view a lot of your supporters have about our club and it's directly related to the panicked buying when we got promoted three season ago and continued up to this season.  It's not what our history is about or what are fans believe in so it's sad to see the impact it's had on the clubs reputation.  Hopefully our owners have wised up.  They're certainly trying to invest in the infrastructure to develop players that we lost when we went in to administration.

Not good mate, that could get you band.

oh ffs people take things too literally nowadays,

its like saying "oh that car is sick" 

or "oh that car is gay"

hence, "oh that car is aids"

the car isn't actually phyciscally sick or homosexual and it certainly doesn't have an immunodeficiency virus, it's just a figure of speech.

And like it or not this is the society we live in today. Haters gonna Hate  

or "oh that car is gay"

the car isn't actually phyciscally sick or homosexual and it certainly doesn't have an immunodeficiency virus, it's just a figure of speech.

If we were easily offended we wouldnt be on here . Its a football forum after all . I am sure I speak for my fellow RRs that we are cool  ;)  

or "oh that car is gay"

the car isn't actually phyciscally sick or homosexual and it certainly doesn't have an immunodeficiency virus, it's just a figure of speech.

"get you band........as in Band Aid".

Stop taking things too seriously.

My understanding is that a number of clubs looked at Dunne, including us, and that QPR blew the other offers out of the water, but hey, just going on what was said at the time.

Moist fans should probably invest in brollies.

Seriously though, it was good to hear your side of story, particularly as a long term supporter of the club, well before the money and the nonsense. The other chap who posted on here though doesn't really help the club's reputation, it seems that money has made the club forget how the Championship really is, and the way he talked about those signings gave the impression, the one that is given off by many QPR fans, that they don't understand the realities of the division and realise the level of silly money the club is still spending. Most clubs in this division wouldn't expect to drop £5-6+ mil on a single signing even if they went up, let alone two signings totaling around £9 mil on top of many high profile free transfers.

Good OP, very educational.

But, to be honest, I don't give a toss about the context, or about QPR. They've got naff all to do with me, and if they disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't really care. But, over the past couple of years, my thoughts have gone from utter indifference, to a proper loathing of the club.

I'm not sure if it pisses me off, or if I find it funny, or what, but I just can't believe they spent so much, on so many genuinely good players - you can call them crocks, or whatever, but pretty much every single one of your players ought to be very much at home in most prem squads, and have known great success, you don't just turn **** overnight, unless, apparently, you play for QPR - and still managed to get relegated. Not only that, but you splashed out on a manager who was once touted as the next England manager, and, to be fair to him, managed to break the impenetrable top four and get Spurs in the Champions League. And you still managed to get relegated.

You were given everything you could possibly want, on a plate, and still managed to chuck it all away. And just when you thought that was that for QPR, lesson learnt, time to be a bit humble, lo and behold most of your big names actually stayed on for the immediate bounce back. You should have walked away with this league. But instead there were 3 teams clearly better than you, showing you that there is another way to run a football club.

It's the arrogance of the owners that pisses me and others off, and I think that arrogance has permeated to the manager, the players, and the fans. "We'll just chuck a bunch of money at it, buy the best players, then we'll just turn up, and we're bound to win."

So now I am hugely looking forward to stuffing you, so you won't earn promotion, all your players and your manager either being sacked, or, more likely, leaving in a blaze of sour grapes, saying they didn't want to be there anyway, and then you tumble down the league, til you find your natural place in the order of things. As has been said, QPR are, at best, a second tier club, but you're nouveau riche, and you can't buy class.

For me, you're worse than Forest, I only hate Forest more, because they're Forest.

And yes, spare a thought for the poor fans... ******! Like you weren't loving it when Fernandes waltzed in and started buying up all these players. You reap what you sow.

Archived