Derby MUST win for my mental health

FootballBet

Yeah, I got a massive issue!!! Chasing loses feels so lonely, my family don't know... If my dad finds out it would be unbelivably awkward he was fuming when he found out I lost £300 (started my losses), my mum would hate me, she was upset about £300!!! I told people at work I've lost a lot but didn't go into detail, I said I want to do another bet I must win!!! They said don't, count your losses or risk losing more. Betting is a mugs game and I'm a mug I feel like one. Not everyone, some people play smart or for fun but my situation I'm a mug! I'm just praying for a Derby County win. COME ON THE RAMS!

Stop today and get help. Good luck.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mate, I'm the son of a bad problem punter so I am a little ambiguous about your plight.

Your 'get out' bet is actually a sign of how out of control, how addicted you are. As a human being, I hope you win this but PLEASE - for your sake and the sake of your family - get help now!

Do not wait for the result of your 'get out' bet. If you do, you are still thinking like a gambler ("just need one win to come home" sound familiar?) and you will slide back into it.

It doesn't make you stupid or a bad person. For starters, you're 19. You're learning and, in some ways, it's a good lesson to learn now.

It means you have a problem but it is one you can control if you understand the triggers which signal the addiction mindset.

Please call your local Gamblers Anon or similar help line now. Do not wait for your bet to win or not. That is relevant to your financial outcome not your control over your illness. And it is an illness.

Good luck to you young fella.

I'd just take the advice from most on here my friend, stop gambling and go and find some help asap. I can empathise with Uptherams post above, I too have let things slip badly in the past but I'm getting by ok now. I do bet most days but now, apart from the odd occasion, it's money i can risk losing. Go and get some help bud and don't be ashamed or afraid of admitting you have a problem. If truth be told most people have some sort of issue or another they could do with getting sorted.

Very wise words. Note the reaction on here. If you open up, people will step up to help you help yourself.

Everyone admires honesty and courage...and it does take courage to admit you have a problem. It takes even more to act on it. But I sense you have it.

Speaking to someone would be helpful. Someone to understand the situation I'm in and to change my negative mindset and chasing losses mentality. My Co-Worker hit the nail on the head, "why chase? If it was that easy, everyone would be winning, count your losses and stop." He kept asking me how much I lost but I kept it private because I'm ashamed.

Speaking to someone would be helpful. Someone to understand the situation I'm in and to change my negative mindset and chasing losses mentality. My Co-Worker hit the nail on the head, "why chase? If it was that easy, everyone would be winning." He kept asking me how much I lost but I kept it private because I'm ashamed.

We do have a ex gambler on this forum. Wait until he spots this thread. I have a feeling he might want to help you. And know how to do it.

Not 'ex' Cisse, but 'recovering compulsive gambler ( but I know what you mean).

It's not something that used to be - it's there constantly but controlled by choices.

Not 'ex' Cisse, but 'recovering compulsive gambler ( but I know what you mean).

It's not something that used to be - it's there constantly but controlled by choices.

Good point. Still I think he will jump on this as soon as he finds this thread. Would be a big help for this kid I assume.

One thing you haven't touched on, can you afford to lose the money? You've said what you've staked, but you might have the sort of income to easily cover these losses. First rule of gambling, only bet what you can shrug ur shoulders at, and be honest. Anymore and u have a problem.

Thank you Derby County Football Club. I still need Arsenal to lift the FA Cup, disgracefully I've lost my passionate soul for that game of football as a spurs fan. I could be laughing at Arsenal Football Club not doing much for my life but I'd rather have over £5,000. Makes me feel like a plastic but I promise I'm not, I was born a Spurs fan from my Dad and have always been passionate about them. 1 out of 2 complete from my double bet. Good luck at Wembley, Derby County play nice football and deserve it. I need to sort my life out!

Archived