Player Suggestion Thread - Summer 2014

Very very good shout imo... but weren't we in for him before qpr got him? I may be wrong, but if he rejected us I wouldn't go for him now.

Just a thought, but obviously we all knew we were chasing thorne, but at the same time we wanted mccormack too? Doesnt this indicate we have that cash still available to spend? If we were willing to pay 3m+ for mccormack and still get thorne too? That throws all the ffp business and how people are saying we have little left to spend firmly out the window?

I might have this wrong, but I didn't think we had ever seriously bid for McCormack? We may well have done and I might have missed it but I thought it was just a lot of speculation in the papers and twitter.  I would have been surprised if we had been able to sanction a serious attempt at signing both R.M and G.T.

Saying that, I do think we might have a bit left over in the budget for another signing or two this season, but I'm not sure it will be another 3mill+.  After all the contract renewals, new players in the development squad and the GT signing there is likely an increase in the wage bill, not to mention money spent on signing on fees, all of which will have reduced any transfer budget slightly. 

Rush has been quite consistant when talking about the clubs commitments to FFP but he and the board have always maintained that the money would be available should the right player come to the clubs attention.  I think everyone is in agreement that we still need a few new additions to the squad (backup for Martin being a priority) but, i get the impression that, the majority of our budget has already been spent and unless the right player is available for an affordable permanant transfer we could well be relying on the loan market to provide any more additions to the current squad.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good teams have a solid core. We have Grant, Thorne and Martin through the middle. I wouldn't say that either Keogh or Buxton really come into that class. We need a quality centre half!

I'd be asking about Hangeland - even for a season to get us up.

Left Fulham... Probably cos he didn't want to play in the Championship...

I've heard whispering about Chris Wood again... I bumped into a Leicester fan I know last night and he reckoned there have been 'tentative approaches' but I'm not sure...

#PNITK

Good teams have a solid core. We have Grant, Thorne and Martin through the middle. I wouldn't say that either Keogh or Buxton really come into that class. We need a quality centre half!

I do like Hangeland but I reckon his wages might be a stumbling block.

Left Fulham... Probably cos he didn't want to play in the Championship...

I've heard whispering about Chris Wood again... I bumped into a Leicester fan I know last night and he reckoned there have been 'tentative approaches' but I'm not sure...

#PNITK

I think he probably left because he was sick of losing. Derby would be a new start in a winning side and he would benefit from working under McLaren. It would also be nice having someone who might win a header when we get a corner!

I think he probably left because he was sick of losing. Derby would be a new start in a winning side and he would benefit from working under McLaren. It would also be nice having someone who might win a header when we get a corner!

I think you're being optimistic... Can't see him joining a tier 2 side when he could have just stayed at Fulham...

Also, we have Forsyth, Christie, Thorne and Keogh who are all 6' 2" and Bucko has the jumping ability of a basketball player... We're fine for people heading balls from corners...

...and there was me thinking every corner we got was headed away last year.

Oooooohhhhhh right yeh of course... Adding another tall player GUARENTEES you'll be able to head away from a corner 100% of the time... basically we sign Hangeland and every team in the league just stop taking corners against us cos they know there's no point...

NO

I don't remember corners being a specific weakness last season... I think maybe you're just clutching at something based on a player you'd like to sign... I wouldn't complain about Hangeland as I think he's a great defender... just don't see it happening... AND I don't recall us being a particular disaster at corners... I think most of our defensive mistake came from open play...

Stats don't tell you how many we got away with, only how many were scored.

All I know is from being at every home game, we looked nervous and struggled defending crosses, particularly from set pieces.

Stats don't tell you how many we got away with, only how many were scored.

All I know is from being at every home game, we looked nervous and struggled defending crosses, particularly from set pieces.

Getting away with it is part of the the art of defending... What would you say happened at Wembley? And when Leicester came to the ipro early in the season? 

I don't think we specifically need to do something about corners, however having done a bit of stat hunting I think the defence in general needs to tighten up... Over the season we had only the 7th best defence and even if you took out the Nigel period (where we would drop 1 position defensively) we'd only jump to 5th which isn't good enough for a top 2 finish...

I think most interestingly Leicester had only the 3rd best defence BUT there were only 3 games where they failed to score last year... compared to 9 games for us...

I think we need more goals...  :D

Ive said since the thorne deal, that we need another option at rbk (nothing against christie he may be 1st choice) a cbk leader, a goalscoring wide man, and a stk (wood all day long) we missed out on dyer as the wide player he went to watford, wud have been ideal

My own eyes?

We **** the bed every time the ball went into the box.

That's your opinion...I'll admit I never got excited when we got a freekick in dangerous territory however I never felt vulnerable when we were defending set pieces. For the first time in 6 years I felt confident we'd clear it with ease. The only times we ever looked vulnerable was when Keogh or Buxton ran into trouble when marauding up the pitch or when we lost possession sloppily in the middle and teams countered us quickly. 

Danny Batth - 6'2", PFA Team Of The Season - anyone?

Not afraid to admit this guy was part of my premier league winning wolves team on FM. 

Getting away with it is part of the the art of defending... What would you say happened at Wembley? And when Leicester came to the ipro early in the season? 

I don't think we specifically need to do something about corners, however having done a bit of stat hunting I think the defence in general needs to tighten up... Over the season we had only the 7th best defence and even if you took out the Nigel period (where we would drop 1 position defensively) we'd only jump to 5th which isn't good enough for a top 2 finish...

I think most interestingly Leicester had only the 3rd best defence BUT there were only 3 games where they failed to score last year... compared to 9 games for us...

I think we need more goals...  :D

Would disagree massively with this. The 5th best defensive record is fantastic for a team who plays in the style we play! You don't usually get many teams who finish as highest scorers and lowest conceded. It's too tough of a league. You either get the very efficient sorts like your Cardiffs who don't score all that many but hardly concede or you get the types of teams who will score for fun but will not be water tight at the back. 

Archived