Steve McClaren, good cup record, advantage for us?

Winning the Carling Cup, defying the odds and taking Boro to the Uefa Cup final, 2 FA cup semi finals and final of the Dutch cup

Not a bad cv for the cup competitions, with McClarens tactics regularly being praised for getting back into cup competitions after falling behind if you read up on it.

This could help us in the play offs, In effectively a small cup competition. Hopefully over the 2 legs and fingers crossed the final we can outwit and outclass the better squads on paper

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking a similar thought. It's a little glimmer to hang on to. But I think the play offs are such a crap shoot we won't really know until the trophy is raised at wembley. We have as much or as little chance as anyone really. Perhaps we have a teeny bit more chance than some, but that doesn't mean we'll win the thing.

None of it means anything whatsoever. 

You need to discard everything that's happened over 46 games, produce everything in your locker but you also need a bit of luck, like Idiakez skying a peno or Phillips smacking the bar.

Which reminded me of an odd fact. 

We went into the play offs under George Burley and lost to Preston's Billy Davies.

Then went into the play offs under Billy Davies, and beat George Burley's Southampton.

Small world, football.

We went into the play offs under George Burley and lost to Preston's Billy Davies.

Then went into the play offs under Billy Davies, and beat George Burley's Southampton.

We went into those play offs against Preston having beaten them 3-1 on the last day of the regular season!

None of it means anything whatsoever. 

You need to discard everything that's happened over 46 games, produce everything in your locker but you also need a bit of luck, like Idiakez skying a peno or Phillips smacking the bar.

Which reminded me of an odd fact. 

Small world, football.

The play off's are great, we should go into them full of confidence against anyone we play, it's the way to win them that is for sure just like when we beat West Brom.

The reason behind your two results quoted.....Billy is a better manager.

The play off's are great, we should go into them full of confidence against anyone we play, it's the way to win them that is for sure just like when we beat West Brom.

Possibly, but George got us playing much more attractive and exciting football. Give me a season of Burley over Davies any day of the week.

Billy may be a better manager, but George is a better man.

And, I dare say, on his day, a better manager too.

Archived