April 2014 Games

Alph

Sorry I can't have this 'anti-football' stuff, at what point in time did defending become less of a part of football than attacking?

Honestly I'm not sure what you expect at times. Should every team come out all guns blazing every game even when they know that they're horribly outmatched skillwise across the park? They might lose the game 8-3 but hey who cares, everyone, even the losing fans loved that incredible goalfest (hang on, no they didn't). Ok Chelsea aren't that much less talented than PSG or Atletico but less talented they are.

If you're not as good as the other team you have to try and level the playing field if you want to get a result. Whether that's playing to your strengths and defending deep and trying to nick it on the break, kicking chunks out of the opposition for as long as you can get away with it or disrupting the flow of the game by timewasting. They're all attempts to overcome a gap in skill, some more cynical/'anti-football' and less legal than others. I personally find all this adds to the uncertainty and excitement of football, though admitedly I can understand some frustrations when sitting through a dross 0-0 or 1-0.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With regards to the game though, I think you're probably right.

The Atletico equaliser led to Mourinho, rather uncharacteristically, panicking and chasing the game with 2 up front too early. That left the midfield open and allowed Madrid to continue to control and up the tempo. If Chelsea keep it 1-1 until 75-80 minutes then make the change I think there's a much greater chance Atletico get nervy and start dropping deep, allowing Chelsea a concerted spell of pressure to try and get the winner.

It's all easy to say in hindsight though, probably wouldn't have made a difference as Atletico are an outstanding side.

What's that sound?

Oh yes, it's the sound of Eddie's English darlings crashing out of Europe.

Out-fought, out-battled, outplayed...

Looks like Mourinho's defensive masterclass will see him win zero trophies this season. ZERO!

What an utter, utter shame.

You're just making a fool of yourself, Bris. I don't support Chelsea, just like you don't support Derby. I said that I thought that they would win, just to wind you up. I learned how to troll from watching you.

You're just making a fool of yourself, Bris. I don't support Chelsea, just like you don't support Derby. I said that I thought that they would win, just to wind you up. I learned how to troll from watching you.

Making a fool of myself?

Coming from the guy who thought Dani Alves was Spainsh and a 0-0 defensive display was actually a good result for Chelsea.

I don't think I've ever trolled once on here.

I've always stated my opinion and used facts to back them up - not really much wrong with that is there?

Chelsea haven't really got an outlet up top have they. They've got a big rebuilding job this summer because a few of their players are over the hill. Quite a few in fact.

Eden Hazard is over rated n'all, Oscar is much the better of the two but always seems to get injured.

Oh well, but when ya look at it like that, love him or hate him, Jose has done a decent job with a bunch of old aged footballers and no frequent goal scorer.

Chelsea haven't really got an outlet up top have they. They've got a big rebuilding job this summer because a few of their players are over the hill. Quite a few in fact.

Eden Hazard is over rated n'all, Oscar is much the better of the two but always seems to get injured.

Oh well, but when ya look at it like that, love him or hate him, Jose has done a decent job with a bunch of old aged footballers and no frequent goal scorer.

Lukaku might have been handy?

Have to say I love Hazard as a player. Think he's awesome when the tempo is quick and he's got plenty of options.

But yeah, that Oscar is class. I think they'd be a devastating pair if they weren't playing with pensioners and donkeys (in comparison to their rivals for honours.)

I'm sure Mourinho used to be funnier last time he managed in the PL? He's always grumpy now. Seems less charming and more entitled

Making a fool of myself?

Coming from the guy who thought Dani Alves was Spainsh and a 0-0 defensive display was actually a good result for Chelsea.

I don't think I've ever trolled once on here.

I've always stated my opinion and used facts to back them up - not really much wrong with that is there?

One fact I will bring up though.... 11 trophies in last ten years, not bad for a anti-football side....

Gotta love him!

"I'm going to tell you something -- a bit of the history of my career," he told journalists at his news conference ahead of Sunday's game against Norwich. "My career reached, against Inter, the maximum you can reach when you win everything. In 2010, I won everything: Scudetto, Coppa Italia, the Champions League.

"After that, this is the history of my career. In the first season [after 2010], I won the [spanish] cup against the best team in the world [barcelona] and finished second in the league after the best team in the world, and I lost the Champions League semifinal against the best team in the world.

"The next season, I was champion against the best team in the world, the champions of the records -- 100 points, 126 goals, the record team -- and we won that league. We lost the Champions League semifinal on penalties [against Bayern Munich] in a day when two of the best penalty takers in football missed, Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo. And that was a 'bad' season.

"In the third season, we won every match against the best team in the world -- in the league, the Super Cup, the cup, at the Bernabeu, at Barcelona -- we won everything against them. We won the Super Cup. We lost the league, finished second. And we lost the Champions League semifinal by one goal [against Borussia Dortmund].

"And the fourth season, which is this one, and probably the first where I don't win a single trophy -- unless we win the league -- I go to the Champions League semifinal and fight for the title until the last minute of the season. So these are the four bad seasons of my career."

He parks his blue bus if he wants to but to score 126 goals is one hell of achievement too.

He does what needs to be done to get a win and I appreciate it.

This is why I'm going off Mourinho. He barely gets criticised by anyone outside Madrid and Barcelona yet he continues to 'defend' himself.

"I've done this, I've done that"

Yes Jose, we know. Nobody is criticising you?

The criticisms start when you start acting like a spoiled kid. When you create a siege mentality and tell people how awesome you've done. When you insist on hyping a personal war with Barcelona. When you accuse teams of parking the bus but are well known as one of the best reactive managers ever. A manager who stops opponents rather than brings his own game.

Why has Mourinho lost that cheeky arrogance?

Used to love the guy. He's a great manager and if he has any doubters then he's created them by constantly picking fights and putting himself in the corner.

His digs at Barcelona are getting old. It's just coming across as publicising now. He'll start with Bayern Munich or Real Madrid or whoever he can gain reflected glory from.

Great manager who can turn the charm on. Why he's chosen to be a miserable and bitter, awesome version of Billy Davies I'm not quite sure.

Liked him better in Spain. Being at the JT and Lamps club doesn't help. If JT has a **** then the media call it a masterpiece

Lukaku might have been handy?

Have to say I love Hazard as a player. Think he's awesome when the tempo is quick and he's got plenty of options.

But yeah, that Oscar is class. I think they'd be a devastating pair if they weren't playing with pensioners and donkeys (in comparison to their rivals for honours.)

I'm sure Mourinho used to be funnier last time he managed in the PL? He's always grumpy now. Seems less charming and more entitled

I don't know about Lukaku, yes he's a good scorer, but for a top team performing in the league, cups and Europe he needs more to his game than just scoring goals. Maybe he models himself on Drogba, if so, he's got a lot of work to do to reach that kind of quality lone striker. Jose said himself, Drogba won pretty much everything in the air, he was an absolute beast. The best 'Chris Martin' i can remember.

When you think about Bamford being a Chelsea employee, he'll never fit into that squad as he is. He needs to butch up with immediate effect. That's not to say I don't think he can do it. A constant criticism from Derby fans is that he won't be able to hold the ball up well like Chris Martin, or Drogba. In the championship, he's almost there, but I think he's almost scared to do it. He's also to greedy to be a Drogba. Chelsea are probably the wrong team for him now Jose is back.

Lukaku fades in and out of recognition, I can't from memory recall him laying the ball back to the midfielders. He always seems to be inside the 6 yard box or running onto the ball.

I dunno, Jose did it once before at Chelsea, rather quickly, but I think his main weakness is that he needs to be offloading masses of cash to build the team he wants.

One of the best Champions League games I can remember was Chelsea vrs Barcelona at Stamford Bridge, football's changed a lot at the top end since then. Bring back Ronaldinho and his skills. What happened to that kind of player, now it's all a bit mechanical.

I think that's what I don't like about Pep now I think about it, it's just a mechanical way of playing football.

One of the best Champions League games I can remember was Chelsea vrs Barcelona at Stamford Bridge, football's changed a lot at the top end since then. Bring back Ronaldinho and his skills. What happened to that kind of player, now it's all a bit mechanical.

I think that's what I don't like about Pep now I think about it, it's just a mechanical way of playing football.

In that game Chelsea's fourth goal was an absolute disgrace as John Terry clearly blocked the goalkeeper from moving...

It's ironic how Chelsea fans forget that when they keep bringing up the 2009 'cheat' game.

I don't actually mind Mourinho, though his comments in his autobiography against Barcelona were horrific and totally uncalled for. I seriosuly don't understand his hatred for them - born out of clear jealousy IMO.

In that game Chelsea's fourth goal was an absolute disgrace as John Terry clearly blocked the goalkeeper from moving...

It's ironic how Chelsea fans forget that when they keep bringing up the 2009 'cheat' game.

I don't actually mind Mourinho, though his comments in his autobiography against Barcelona were horrific and totally uncalled for. I seriosuly don't understand his hatred for them - born out of clear jealousy IMO.

Jose is clever. He picks his opponents wisely. He picked a fight with the best team in that period and got the spotlight. He'll leave them alone if they drop away a bit now. He'll probably pick a fight with Pep again or Real Madrid and his time there. Either one will get him recognition and headlines amongst footballs elite. It all draws attention to him and what he's achieving.

Look at Rodgers. He's done something truly magical really and yet Jose still has the spotlight.

Nothing wrong with it. He's the modern Brian Clough. He'll be remembered longer than most the best managers of this generation. He's the biggest name in football. Well played to him.

Yeah that was a good game, but I meant the other one. Passion was boiling over the brim, think Barcelona won 1-2. Drogba called it a disgrace, Ballack chased the referee, Anders Fring retired? 

Archived