Delayed kick-off times for Hillsborough 25th anniversary

HeyHudson

As a mark of respect and remembrance for those who lost their lives as a result of the Hillsborough stadium disaster in April 1989, all Premier League, Football League, Football Conference and FA Cup matches taking place on the weekend of 11th to 14th April will kick-off seven minutes later than originally scheduled.

The match at which the disaster took place, the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest on 15th April 1989, was ended six minutes after kick-off, at 3:06pm.

In the Premier League, Football League, and Football Conference, matches due to kick-off at 3pm on Saturday 12 April will now kick off at 3:07pm, with the minute before kick-off (3:06pm to 3:07pm) seeing a period of silence observed at all stadia.

The first FA Cup semi-final on Saturday 12 April between Wigan Athletic and Arsenal will now kick-off at 5.07pm with a minute of silence between 5:06pm and 5:07pm. The following day, Sunday 13th April, will see Hull City v Sheffield United begin at 4.07pm with a minute of silence between 4:06pm and 4:07pm.

Fixtures kicking-off at other times on Friday 11th, Saturday 12th, Sunday 13th and Monday 14th April will observe the same etiquette with matches starting seven minutes later than originally scheduled.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/footballleaguenews/20140321/english-football-to-mark-25th-anniversary-of-hillsborough-stadium-disaster_2293334_3724371

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good, just a shame nothing was done for the Bradford fire like this, can't remember any minutes silence for 25 years since that awful disaster.

Fair play to paying respects and tributes etc

But kicking off 7 minutes late and getting everyone to be quite for 1 minute of it?

That's rubbish.

Not to begrudge the disaster it's attention but there's been plenty more disasters since then. Like I say, we can have a minutes silence every week for me. I'm not arsed, didn't lose nobody. There's other stuff to worry about since. Let it rest in peace.

(Please note: I'm not the most compassionate fella. I'm a cnut)

Oh, when I say "I'm not arsed.." I mean about the minutes silence not the disaster. If folks want to spend a minute paying their respects and thinking about the disaster then I'm not wishing to deny them. Go for it.

Myself, I'll spend the minute waiting for kick off. Hillsborough was when I was still wetting the bed. I'm more interested in the war crimes in Syria and such. But I'd just rather watch football. I go to football for a release not to get bogged down in politics etc. Football should stay about football and there's nothing wrong with paying your respects. But let things rest man!

The whole Hillsborough things gets a bit naval gazing etc. and woe is me. I do feel sorry for those who lost their lives and their families but as Alpha said, isn't it about time that the rest of football moved on...

I don't expect Liverpool fans or the rest of football spends much time thinking about Heysel do they...

25 years is very significent, especially now. Maybe if the longest investigation ever wasn't still going off, people would move on. As it is, we all know now who the guilty ones are.

As for the silences, I can't see a problem with it really, but think that they will perhaps stop when the final inquest verdicts are reached, and maybe just have them at Anfield.

I wouldn't mind if they did stop anyway. It doesn't take a pre-arranged minutes silence/ delayed KO for me to remember the victims, I just think of them, just like I do the Bradford fire victims - but if Bradford wanted a minutes silence, I'm sure they'd arrange one and it would be observed.

I remember the first home match at Derby after the disaster, standing in the Normanton end, holding my daughter's hand. I can't remember whether our fences had already been taken down that day or whether that was a week or two later, but it was the eeriest minute's silence I had ever heard, because it wasn't silent at all. There were hundreds, probably thousands, crying - or trying not to, choking back sobs. These were football fans who died - not Liverpool fans, not Liverpudlians, not Northerners, not English people - but football fans. Just like us.

They deserve to be remembered.

PistoldPete2

I remember the first home match at Derby after the disaster, standing in the Normanton end, holding my daughter's hand. I can't remember whether our fences had already been taken down that day or whether that was a week or two later, but it was the eeriest minute's silence I had ever heard, because it wasn't silent at all. There were hundreds, probably thousands, crying - or trying not to, choking back sobs. These were football fans who died - not Liverpool fans, not Liverpudlians, not Northerners, not English people - but football fans. Just like us.

They deserve to be remembered.

but why does Hillsboro get the attention, not Bradford or Ibrox or Heysel?

I know there's a joint Hillsborough/Ibrox Memorial Group and they support each other.

Suppose it's down to individual clubs how they choose to remember?

but why does Hillsboro get the attention, not Bradford or Ibrox or Heysel?

Because for so many fans over a certain age, we remember watching matches from inside cages, or trying to gain access to open terraces through tiny tunnels - where six or seven turnstiles fed into an area 2 or 3 people wide before it eventually opened out onto the terraces. Just like the central access tunnel at Leppings Lane. If the area in front of you was full, there was nowhere to go.

I have no idea whether you were watching Derby in the days at the start of the 1970's, but anyone who ever walked up to the Popside from the Vulcan Street entrance or (especially) the Columbo street entrance with 38,000 or 40,000 in the crowd will know that there, but for the grace of God, go we.

Good, just a shame nothing was done for the Bradford fire like this, can't remember any minutes silence for 25 years since that awful disaster.

I work in social care. There's a service user I've come across several times that we like to call a 'professional service user'. She campaigns for the rights of disabled people, and no doubt she has done a deal of good. But the most good she has done is for herself.

By and large, she's not a likeable person, she's a pain in the arse to work with, and she alienates and scares a lot of people. Which is how she often gets what she wants. I've not seen another person with such an army of personal assistants, a helper dog, and every benefit you've ever heard of (and several you've not), yet I've seen far more disabled and deserving people who have very little.

This may seem off track, but the point is, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

This is not to say the Liverpool fans and families plight is not deserving of recognition and respect, but it is not the only plight that is worthy of such. But because they've made such a big deal of it, it becomes a big deal for everybody, whether they want it to be or not.

The Hillsborough Hullabaloo continues... Whatever happened to people paying low key, poignant, dignified respects that people in this country used to excel at when compared to others.

So far we have:

- Not playing on the 15th of April 

- Delaying all games that weekend by 7 minutes

- A compulsory minute silence before the games for all clubs in England (not just Liverpool)

- Writing to every UK club to contribute to a shrine on the pitch at Anfield 

- Leaving 96 empty seats at both Cup Semi Finals (with Liverpool not even featuring)

- Give the families of the 96 tickets to the semi final games (agaih Liverpool not featuring)

Can only imagine some sort of black armband initiative is being lined up for this also.

39 that they want to forget though

Rocco Acerra (29) Bruno Balli (50) Alfons Bos Giancarlo Bruschera (21) Andrea Casula (11) Giovanni Casula (44) Nino Cerrullo (24) Willy Chielens Giuseppina Conto (17) Dirk Daenicky Dionisio Fabbro (51) Jaques Francois Eugenio Gagliano (35) Francesco Galli (25) Giancarlo Gonnelli (20) Alberto Guarini (21) Giavacchino Landinni (50) Roberto Lorenzini (31) Barbara in Margiotta Lusci (58) Franco Martelli (46) Loris Massore (28) Gianni Mastroiaca (20) Sergio Bastino Mazzino (38) Luciano Rocco Papaluca (38) Bento Pistalato (50) Patrick Radcliffe Demenico Ragazzi (44) Antonio Ragnanese (29) Claude Robert Mario Ronchi (43) Domencio Russo (28) Tarcisio Salvi (49) Gianfranco Sarto (47) Mario Spanu (41) Amedeo Giuseppe Spolaore (55) Tarcisio Venturin (23) Jean Michel Walla Claudio Zavaroni (28) Luigi Pidone (31)

In 1989, after a five-month trial in Brussels, 14 of the 26 Liverpool supporters who stood trial were found guilty of involuntary manslaughter and given a three-year prison sentence, suspended for 18 months, and each ended up serving about a year in total in behind bars. The remaining ten defendants were acquitted of manslaughter, but some had their £2,000 bail money confiscated, having been absent for part of the trial. And civil damages estimated at more than £5million were provisionally awarded to families of the Heysel victims against the convicted fans and the BFU.

But you never hear of this because the tragedy is taboo

I was shown a copy of the club’s official yearbook for 1985/86. There were two articles about the tragedy on page three, but they were both of the “Let’s put this behind us, improve the matchday Anfield atmosphere and look to restore the club’s good name” variety. There was no direct reference to what had happened. There was no hint of an apology.

The differences in attitude are stark Heysel and Bradford disasters should never be neglected or forgotten and should have as much media prominence.

Hillsborough is still brought to the forefront because it's still ongoing. We know Heysel was the fault of Liverpool fans and the opposition who were part of the fighting and some L'pool fans were convicted.

Well where's the coppers' convictions for Hillsborough? Why have they not been sent to prison? If Heysel was an injustice, so is bloody Hillsborough. If it wasn't for the families, Steve Rotherham, Andy Burnham and others, SYP would never have been found out - as it is, they're still getting away with it..To some it doesn't matter though, they don't care because it's Liverpool fans isn't it? Makes me sick.

For the record, all the victims should be remembered, including Heysel & Ibrox. It's interesting you'd like low key but just as much media prominence, I don't understand that tbh.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/history/heysel

Hillsborough is still brought to the forefront because it's still ongoing. We know Heysel was the fault of Liverpool fans and the opposition who were part of the fighting and some L'pool fans were convicted.

Well where's the coppers' convictions for Hillsborough? Why have they not been sent to prison? If Heysel was an injustice, so is bloody Hillsborough. If it wasn't for the families, Steve Rotherham, Andy Burnham and others, SYP would never have been found out - as it is, they're still getting away with it..To some it doesn't matter though, they don't care because it's Liverpool fans isn't it? Makes me sick.

For the record, all the victims should be remembered, including Heysel & Ibrox. It's interesting you'd like low key but just as much media prominence, I don't understand that tbh.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/history/heysel

For a start Heysel there was no fighting, it was innocents charged, they fled and the wall collapsed. SYP were found out in 1990, the blame was laid at their door in 1990 in the Taylor Report. Most crucially action was taken to ensure nothing of the like can happen again.

Prosecutions have been laid one found not guilty, no verdict in the other and that was in a civil case. 

Low key but not forgetting is the right way. A minutes silence for all 3 wouldn't be a bad idea. 

A trip to Juve in next years Champions League would be interesting to say the least for Liverpool.

Prosecutions? For Hillsborough you mean?? The one where the judge decided before the trial had even started that he was going to reach a not guilty verdict? Coppers lieing left, right and centre.

Omg don't make me laugh.

Prosecutions? For Hillsborough you mean?? The one where the judge decided before the trial had even started that he was going to reach a not guilty verdict? Coppers lieing left, right and centre.

Omg don't make me laugh.

Police lying it would be a surprise if they didn't to cover their arse, anybody who has had dealings with them would subscribe to that. If there is enough evidence to convict any of the liars and cowards great, if though they go for ambulance and police on the ground who got it wrong, faced with unimaginable circumstances I don't agree with that.

I am not sure about the way Burnham and co went about finding the truth, the composition of the panel and some of the conclusions of that report may backfire later in a court of law, if prosecutions do ensue, where everything will come under the maximum scrutiny.

Archived