Craziest thing Ward ever did?

ilkleyram

I thought Boss had a fantastic idea to drag up the crazy things our ex-managers have ever done.

My first ex-manager was Tim Ward. The craziest thing he ever did was to pay £40,000 for a striker. From Bradford Park Avenue. I mean. Who are they? They're almost non-league

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bradford Park Avenue produced a surprising number of good players around the time Hector was there. Kenny Hibbet, Ronnie Bird and Ian Gibson all went on to play at a higher level. I think Kevin was the previous season's Football League top scorer when we signed him.

Rats! Tricked again!

I thought this was a discussion about Jamie Ward and I was tricked into reading a 'old fart' thread with people multiple times my age nostalgically discussing people I have no idea about!!  ;)

I'd say the craziest thing he did was agree to be a manager under the then board of directors.

I understand that when one of his best players was injured and coudn't play (may have been Hector) one of the directors said "I hope we don't have to pay him, then"

"Ward's management career started with an 8 day stay as Exeter City manager.

After being appointed manager on 4 March 1953, and despite travelling to their Third Division South  match against Ipswich Town, Barnsley who had never released Ward, recalled him on 12 March and appointed him manager two weeks later."

Bradford Park Avenue produced a surprising number of good players around the time Hector was there. Kenny Hibbet, Ronnie Bird and Ian Gibson all went on to play at a higher level. I think Kevin was the previous season's Football League top scorer when we signed him.

Ronnie Bird used to be our manager,at the Saturday side I played for.

You used to get fined,if seen out on the pop,Friday night.

What's that all about???

Archived