Following on from DET article: Pick your side.

Ambitious

As it currently stands, who is your favoured XI? With a lot of options, it's a good debate.

Mine stands at:

Grant

Wisdom

Keogh

Buxton

Forsyth

Thorne - purely on his form at Watford

Hughes

Bryson

Bamford

Dawkins

Martin

The tough one is the three upfront - Bamford, Dawkins, Ward and Russell are all very good Championship players. Martin is indisputable.

Just read the article in DET and I've noticed that quite a lot of people want Whitbread in the back 4

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Steve-Nicholson-gets-views-Derby-County-fans-Rams/story-20558072-detail/story.html

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Horses for courses but v QPR I would play

Grant

Wisdom Keogh Buxton Forsyth

Thorne

Ward Bryson Hughes 
Martin Russell

Bamford to come on mid way thru 2nd half or earlier if needed.

Just read the article in DET and I've noticed that quite a lot of people want Whitbread in the back 4

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Steve-Nicholson-gets-views-Derby-County-fans-Rams/story-20558072-detail/story.html

It's based on very little though, everyone is entitled to their opinion - no matter how wrong, or ill-informed it is.

Just like when Forest fans say their isn't one player in the Derby team they would have and £15m for Lascelles would be cheap - when arguably the most talented young defender in the world cost Real Madrid £10m

it's daft, based on nothing other than their imagination - if something is correct, you should be able to back it up with at least some evidence. 

For instance, reasoning like this...

Jake Buxton has done well but we have to defend deep when he plays, which gives teams too much time.

which is absolutely senseless when we're statistically one of the most high pressing teams in the division. 

Stability in the side. 

You only have to look at the player positions during the last two games to understand why we concede goals...

"http://i58.tinypic.com/14e6pf8" alt="14e6pf8"> "http://i58.tinypic.com/2vjx7yh" alt="2vjx7yh">

The player positions of the last two games, in what world is that deep defending? as I said, nonesense based on nothing other than their imagination.

which is absolutely senseless when we're statistically one of the most high pressing teams in the division. 

The player positions of the last two games, in what world is that deep defending? as I said, nonesense based on nothing other than their imagination.

What is also interesting from those images, is not only does Buxton roam slightly further forward than Keogh, but the actual formation we are playing appears to be... 2-3-5!

What is also interesting from those images, is not only does Buxton roam slightly further forward than Keogh, but the actual formation we are playing appears to be... 2-3-5!

That looks astoundingly like an old fashioned formation with full backs (in the old fashioned sense), half backs, inside and outside forwards.

Probably a formation that our FA cup winning team would recognise.

That looks astoundingly like an old fashioned formation with full backs (in the old fashioned sense), half backs, inside and outside forwards.

Probably a formation that our FA cup winning team would recognise.

When defending 2 banks of 4 would be best for us .

Think Cloughie was using that last night for Sheff U at Fulham !

Nice to have graphical info about what I said earlier.

I'd say it is more like two banks of five.

After losing ball first attacking 5 try to put immediately pressure to their defence to get ball back or at least make them busy. Usually that's enough but if visiting team knows how to counter that, we are pretty much screwed.

Grant

Wisdom Keogh Buxton Forsyth

Hughes Thorne Bryson

Russell Martin Dawkins

Buxton and Forsyth are only in there for me because there is nobody better in our squad. Both areas I think we could do with strengthening. Every time i've seen Russell play for us he's been very good. He's got a great touch, pace and a wand of a left foot. Can't wait to see him get a run of games.

I really like Bamford and he is obviously a natural goalscorer but I think we lack balance when he starts. He's an ideal to player to bring on second half to replace any of the front 3.

For instance, reasoning like this...

BOOM!!

Home run!

I fancy                         Grant

Wisdom               Bucko

Thorne / Eustace 

Bryson                                      Hughes

Russell    Bamford  Martin  Dawkins  Ward

Bugger the defence ,that should out score any team.

I fancy                         Grant

Wisdom               Bucko

Thorne / Eustace 

Bryson                                      Hughes

Russell    Bamford  Martin  Dawkins  Ward

Bugger the defence ,that should out score any team.

You could give Bucko a bugle and get Grant to shout "charge"  :D

Grant

Wisdom  Keogh  Buxton Forsyth

Eustace

Hughes       Bryson

Russell      Martin     Dawkins

Really difficult to choose the 2 players up with Martin, I know Bamford is in great goalscoring form atm, but I feel that Russell gives the team that bit more over 90 minutes. Dawkins and Ward was a close decision as well, but I think Dawkins has got more potential, he could be a real bargain once he has a full season under his belt. Finally Thorne has to play his way into the team, start by bringing him in at the 60 minute mark to keep Eustace fresh. It's certainly the best squad we have had for some time, if we are in need of a goal we have Sammon, Ward and Bamford to bring on.

Grant

Wisdom  Keogh  Buxton Forsyth

Eustace

Hughes       Bryson

Russell      Martin     Dawkins

Really difficult to choose the 2 players up with Martin, I know Bamford is in great goalscoring form atm, but I feel that Russell gives the team that bit more over 90 minutes. Dawkins and Ward was a close decision as well, but I think Dawkins has got more potential, he could be a real bargain once he has a full season under his belt. Finally Thorne has to play his way into the team, start by bringing him in at the 60 minute mark to keep Eustace fresh. It's certainly the best squad we have had for some time, if we are in need of a goal we have Sammon, Ward and Bamford to bring on.

I think along the same lines. I would play either Wardy or Bamford ahead of Dawkins though

For me

Grant

Wisdom     Keogh        Buxton      Forsyth

Thorne

Bryson            Hughes

Russell                                      Dawkins

Martin

I really like the look of our 5 attacking players, will be an interesting start to next season to see who Mac brings in to replace Wisdom and Thorne.

Might also be the right time to cash in on Hughes and use the money to build a proper promotion challenging team, exciting times ahead

Archived