George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good profile of this Peace chap here

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/profile-west-brom-chief-jeremy-1026953

Re Thorne £3m would be about the upper limit of what I'd pay really for someone with so few overall appearances and a couple of bad injuries in his past, however well he played for us after the time he found his way into the team (wasn't an automatic choice with us until the last couple of months).

Otherwise I think its going back to being a bit reckless like in the past, unless we have more to play with with different folk on the board maybe putting some in. Would say £2m-£2.5 would be more realistic for Thorne maybe but who knows with todays market. We have signed far far worse players for more than that!

I rated Christian Dailly and Gary Rowett about the same ability wise and one went for £5-m and the other for less than £1-m I think it was if I remember right.

Also that Livermore chap who I wouldn't  take for free on what I saw when he was on loan at Derby now going for a reported £5-m (ok he must have improved a bit if he has since played for England).

Would personally go in with a bid of £2-m next and take it from there.

Lazy linker! (I've always wanted to say that!)

Mowbray has been selected as the man Celtic want to replace departed gaffer Gordon Strachan. However, things are not that simple.

Peace is renowned as being one of the hardest operators in English football and Lawwell has been told expect a major battle if he opts to go toe to toe with him in negotiations.

The West Brom chief wants £2million compensation for Mowbray and his backroom team of assistant Mark Venus and coach Peter Grant - not a penny less.

Lawwell says he won't go that far but has been warned he'll lose if he gets involved in a straight fight.

Since joining the Hawthorns board nine years ago, Peace has been involved in battle after battle. To date, he hasn't lost one.

The former chartered accountant has taken his business acumen and hardline tactics into the game of football and directors, shareholders, managers such as Bryan Robson and Gary Megson and supporters have all been crushed by his power.

Peace joined the board of Albion in December 2000 and immediately became involved in a joust for control with chairman PaulThompson.Within18monthsThompson was gone and Peace was in charge.

At that point Albion had just won promotion to the Premiership after 16 years outside the top flight. Peace, though, was at war with Megson from the start over transfer funds and signing policies.

It was a fight Megson lost bitterly and, like Thompson, he was on his bike. The Bolton boss has still never forgiven Peace.

Record Sport could not prise a comment from the Bolton manager - understandable given the fact he said on his departure: "You will never hear me mention his name.

"I never will. I don't want to sully myself. I will never get over how I think he treated me and my family.

"I don't want to mention anything more about the bloke. I defy any manager to be able to work in that kind of environment."

Megson was not the last. Bryan Robson replaced him but that relationship soon turned sour in similar circumstances.

Sources in the Midlands claim a refusal to sanction deals for Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Ugo Ehiogu made Robson's position untenable and he was on his way.

Publicly, Robson stayed calm and said: "Unfortunately, Jeremy Peace and I fell out about the way the football side should be run and we parted ways.

"We were seven games into the season and four points behind the leaders."

Privately, it's understood he was furious.

Mowbray's public relationship with his current chairman remains clean at this moment in time. But there is no escaping the rumblings from the Midlands that, behind the scenes, Mogga has become as exasperated as Megson and Robson with Peace's ways.

Clubs have not escaped the West Brom supremo's ability to wring water from a stone. Peace's demand for top dollar saw Fulham having to stump up a staggering £6m for striker Diomansay Kamara.

Watford were forced to shell out an inflated club record fee of £3.5m by Peace when Nathan Ellington left the Baggies in 2007. The Duke ended up scoring just four goals at Vicarage Road at a cost of just over £850,000 each to the Hornets.

Peace has also taken on the club's shareholders and supporters and bothwere hammered. He controversially launched a share consolidation plan last year that ripped the club away from a host of its dedicated punters.

Peace's drastic proposals meant that 10 shares effectively became one under the new structure. At that point, with the share price at £80, anyone who owned one share was forced to spend an additional £720 to acquire a further nine shares if they wanted to retain a stake in the club.

The move was angrily opposed by the small shareholders, many of whom had invested merely as a token gesture of support to the club.

Peace wouldn't back down, vowed to see it through to the bitter end and the small guys lost as he snatched the majority of their shares to strengthen his position.

Solicitor David Billings, who led the rebel group, described it at as "an abuse of power". But yet again Peace won the day and Billings has told Record Sport Lawwell faces the battle of his Parkhead life if he thinks he'll get hisWest Brom counterpart to back down.

Celtic's current public profile in the game depends on getting their man but Peace is well aware of that and Billings said: "This guy is, to say the least, a tough negotiator.

"We had our own experiences with the shareholding issue and essentially the big guy crushing the little guy is a pretty fair assessment.

"Peace treats West Brom like a private investment company and I don't think he has lost a battle since going into the club.

"Anyone who knows him will tell you he is a bit of a cold fish. He's not a footballing man in my opinion.

"West Brom is an investment for him and he's here for the money. He'll say he has watched the Albion from the age of six but I don't believe that and Celtic are facing an extremely tough fight.

"There is always room for manoeuvre in any situation. The problem with Jeremy Peace is he leaves very little room.

"I think his argument will be that Tony signed a three-year contract and agreed a buy-out clause.

"He'll tell Tony, "You accepted that and then took us down to the Championship. Therefore you owe us one.You owe us to stick with it and get us back to the Premiership.

"Also, if Peace is seen to surrender, the fans will go absolutely wild. At the moment he can say he is fighting to keep this man.

"Peace is a very difficult chap to deal with. I'm quite sure Tony feels that too.

"You or I would look at the situation of Celtic willing to play £1m and Peace wanting £2m.

"You'd say okay, let's meet in the middle, make it £1.5m, shake hands and do a deal. Peace isn't like that. He is No.1, very shrewd and won't budge.

"Celtic, if they don't know it already, will soon find that out.

Wrong, he's been with the club for 3 years so can break the contract.

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/football-player-breaking-contracts.htm

Article 17 of the FIFA Transfer Regulations

Article 17 of the FIFA Transfer Regulations states that players can unilaterally cancel their contract with their club after a certain protected period has expired if an amount of compensation is paid to their original club.

What is the protected period?

For players under the age of 28 the protected period for their contract is three years, meaning they will be able to unilaterally terminate their contract when they are three years into it. For players over the age of 28 the protected period for their contract is two years, meaning they will be able to unilaterally terminate their contract when they are two years into it.

------------------------------

So basically he can leave and all WBA will get is a fee to pay for the cost of his development, and that will be set by a tribunal and you might get £750k.  Now we are offering to buy the player and for more than a tribunal will give you, the player has clearly indicated he wants to leave WBA.

Or do WBA have special dispensation to ignore the rules of both football and fundamental right of choice?

Maybe someone should tweet GT that....

If this was the case then I'm sure it would happen regularly.

I'm struggling to think of it ever happening in the top English leagues.

As you seem knowledgeable on the subject perhaps you could name some occasions where it has happened?

Keeping Thorne at WBA somewhere he doesnt want to be it just bad business and negative for everyone. Pretty sure a baggie fan said Koumas or someone did something similar and this JP was a douche about that as well. The player still left though. I think WBA are 'deluded' at actually how big they really are.

Just a matter of time.

You're correct Koumas did end up leaving but not when he tried to engineer the move.

Having spent the season on loan he made it clear he wanted to make the move permanent. WBA had their valuation of the player £2.5m. Cardiff were only willing to pay around half of that.

WBA did not need to sell, despite Cardiff and their fans claiming WBA were being mean and horrible standing in the way of a player moving to a club he claimed to be happier at (sound familiar?)

Anyway Koumas was reintegrated back into the team and at the end of the season was named championship player of the season. After which he was allowed to join Wigan after WBA received a "head turning" £5.3m offer.

So yes he did eventually leave, but very much on JP's terms and to the betterment of his club

And you don't sign the player, excellent work indeed

If we don't sign the player, we'll move on to other targets.

As for you guys and your chairman, you'll have an unhappy player on your hands and you'll look like absolute t!ts to everyone else - bonus.

And it's taken you 53 posts to do that? You keep repeating yourself pal, we get it .... you don't think he'll sign. We thank you for your opinion

Yeah, cos you lot at still piping on about how you should put in a bid of circa £2m and quoting FIFA regulations that a player can leave after 3 years, someone tweet it to GT Haha, whilst you're at it, tweet him he is 6 months in to his contract and so only has another 2 1/2 years to go until it applies.

#deluded

If that were the case we would have accepted his transfer request and then accepted a bid from a club whose bid at least matched our valuation as we would have been 10% better off of the transfer fee.

Now Derby will have to bid at least 110% of what we value him at to make us consider the bid.

No, because does not make you look anywhere near as good in the eyes of the fans.

It's just keeping up appearances.

Yeah, cos you lot at still piping on about how you should put in a bid of circa £2m and quoting FIFA regulations that a player can leave after 3 years, someone tweet it to GY. Haha, whilst you're at it, tweet him he is 6 months in to his contract and so only has another 2 1/2 years to go until it applies.

But if you know that the deal isn't going to happen, why are you still here wasting your time telling us?

It would be like me going on the Dutch boards now and telling them they're not going to win the World Cup, and then repeating the same post another 50+ times because another fan is optimistic that it will happen.

Just walk away, and after the transfer window is finished, if you really crave that much attention come back and tell us all that you were right.

Yeah, cos you lot at still piping on about how you should put in a bid of circa £2m and quoting FIFA regulations that a player can leave after 3 years, someone tweet it to GT Haha, whilst you're at it, tweet him he is 6 months in to his contract and so only has another 2 1/2 years to go until it applies.

Who is GY? Think we're talking about a different player...

Who is GY? Think we're talking about a different player...

Picking me up on a mis-type on my phone. Is that your response to my post :D

Joking apart, I have enjoyed the serious discussions on here about Thorne. It's been many years since I have been on another club's board and whilst it's to be expected I would rattle a few cages it was worth it for the serious discussions and I'd like to thank you all for that.

Archived