The demise of Forest

ladyram

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G star you are missing the point sunshine.

if you are unable to take points off the top teams how can you have any confidence going into a play off? Someone better tell Derby fans that Yeovil and Barnsley won't be in the play offs in May.

Unless of course you're deluded enough to think you'll finish top 2?

I don't get this argument.

In all honesty, if we beat the teams below us we will finish in the top 2 - Leicester x2 Burnley QPR Reading Wigan and your lot have been the teams that have beaten us, with our current squad only Leicester, QPR and Wigan, arguably.

We've got home games against Bournemouth, Millwall, Bolton, Charlton, Huddersfield and Barnsley left all of which fall below the bottom 10 away sides in the division.

We've also got away games against Wednesday Blackpool Doncaster Leeds Ipswich Reading and Middlesbrough - sides that have picked up LESS points at home, than we have away. 

Problem with your argument, it stems on our promotion push not being good enough due to our form with 5 other sides, in a division with 24... it's not really that much of a worry.

I think his point is that if we struggle to beat the top 6 sides during the normal season, we ought worry when we face them in the play offs, as we won't be facing the likes if Barnsley and Doncaster in the play offs.

However, I refute that because a) the season is not yet over, we still have plenty of games to play against top 6 sides, you never know, we might win them all (there's at least one we'll definitely win). And b) the play off games are one off occasions over two legs, winner takes all, no playing for a draw. Past performance against your opponent has absolutely no bearing on how you might perform against them in a play off, or any other type of cup game. Just ask Yeovil or Blackpool (it's getting old now, but I couldn't help myself).

So th while argument is pointless. Poor banter.

If you are showing form that consistently suggests that you can't get results vs the top teams then it's more than likely you won't win in the play offs

The same can be said for us against the weaker teams. Blackpool and huddersfield away will more than likely end in draws

If you are showing form that consistently suggests that you can't get results vs the top teams then it's more than likely you won't win in the play offs

The same can be said for us against the weaker teams. Blackpool and huddersfield away will more than likely end in draws

Surely it's about the better team on the day though, we score more goals than any other side in the division and aside from QPR and Brighton, we're the most dominant side in possession. 

I would only worry about our quality against the better teams if we was scraping games 1-0 or 2-1 and coming away with 45% possession...etc typical of what Leeds were doing when they broke into the play-offs. 

Surely it's about the better team on the day though, we score more goals than any other side in the division and aside from QPR and Brighton, we're the most dominant side in possession. I would only worry about our quality against the better teams if we was scraping games 1-0 or 2-1 and coming away with 45% possession...etc typical of what Leeds were doing when they broke into the play-offs.
I understand what your saying and your correct that anyone can beat anyone. I was just saying that given the evidence so far I think it's unlikely you ll get wins against the better teams in a play off. Has for scoring goals u are (I believe) the top scorers but up until Sunday you had let in one goal less than Yeovil. And if we win out game in hand we ll have a better goal diff than derby. I suppose it's all about opinions and if you like free attacking football that leads to be vulnerable in defense then that ok. I like the fact that we ve only lost by 2 goals twice since billy came back. Stability in defense.

I understand what your saying and your correct that anyone can beat anyone. I was just saying that given the evidence so far I think it's unlikely you ll get wins against the better teams in a play off. Has for scoring goals u are (I believe) the top scorers but up until Sunday you had let in one goal less than Yeovil. And if we win out game in hand we ll have a better goal diff than derby. I suppose it's all about opinions and if you like free attacking football that leads to be vulnerable in defense then that ok. I like the fact that we ve only lost by 2 goals twice since billy came back. Stability in defense.

Stability in the side. 

You only have to look at the player positions during the last two games to understand why we concede goals...

"http://i58.tinypic.com/14e6pf8" alt="14e6pf8"> "http://i58.tinypic.com/2vjx7yh" alt="2vjx7yh">

Well if we'd have beaten everyone in the play off positions so far, surely we wouldn't need to worry about playing them in the play offs, because we would be league champions. Or we certainly ought to be if we're able to beat everyone from 1st to 6th.

Forest have a pretty good record against 1st to 6th. When is the trophy ceremony or the championship title scheduled for, do you have the t-shirts printed yet?

Point is, us, you, burnley and reading may or may not make up the play of positions come the end of the season. If we do, it's because, over the course of the season, none of us were as good as the top two, we were all about as good as each other, and ultimately better than everyone else (except Forest were never better than Yeovil). A long way to go yet, and I dare say we'll get a result or two against the play off teams before the end of the season. If those results happen to come in during the play offs, then I'm happy with that.

I was thinking I'd be happy to loose valiantly in the play offs, if it set us up for a good run at automatic promotion next season (and another relatively fun year, not scrapping to a win every week in the prem).

However, have you seen the dross that's in the prem at the minute? none of the bottom eight or so deserve to be there, and would mostly struggle in the championship. Any one of six, possibly more, should not be surprised if they were relegated, and the only reason 3 won't be is because only 3 can go down.

So this season would be a brilliant time for any team to go up. I think there is a changing of the guard in store and it's the perfect opportunity for someone to go straight up and establish themselves as a regular fixture in the top tier. I wouldn't be surprised if all three promoted teams stay up next season (except QPR, if they get promoted, which I hope they don't).

ffs, we've only played Leicester and QPR away under McClaren.

And we have beaten teams in the top 6. Not our fault if they drop out after. They were there based on results when we played them. If Ipswich catch Reading can we get excited that we came back from 4-1 to draw with an super awesome top 6 side?

I understand what your saying and your correct that anyone can beat anyone. I was just saying that given the evidence so far I think it's unlikely you ll get wins against the better teams in a play off.Has for scoring goals u are (I believe) the top scorers but up until Sunday you had let in one goal less than Yeovil. And if we win out game in hand we ll have a better goal diff than derby. I suppose it's all about opinions and if you like free attacking football that leads to be vulnerable in defense then that ok. I like the fact that we ve only lost by 2 goals twice since billy came back. Stability in defense.

Under McClaren,

QPR - L 2-1 (a)

Wigan - L 1-0 (h)

Leicester - L 4-1 (a)

And then Chelsea in the Cup.

Everyone likes free flowing attacking football. I doubt you go to games to celebrate offside traps and clearances down the line.

Archived