England Team

sage

If you were picking a team for England's next game, what would it be, presuming everyone is fit?

I would go for the 4-1-4-1 that all the best teams play

Hart

Walker Jagielka Cahill Cole

Gerrard

Walcott Barkley Wilshere Townsend

Rooney

Not massively happy with the choices at RB and Sturridge may squeeze Townsend out if he plays a few games out wide for Liverpool. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you were picking a team for England's next game, what would it be, presuming everyone is fit?

I would go for the 4-1-4-1 that all the best teams play

Hart

Walker Jagielka Cahill Cole

Gerrard

Walcott Barkley Wilshere Townsend

Rooney

Not massively happy with the choices at RB and Sturridge may squeeze Townsend out if he plays a few games out wide for Liverpool. 

Was typing mine out and then realized that it's exactly the same anyway.

LB will need replacing soon, and I really don't like the look of the centre-back pairing. Happy with the midfield though. Could really do with a decent alternative to Shrek too....

Was typing mine out and then realized that it's exactly the same anyway.

LB will need replacing soon, and I really don't like the look of the centre-back pairing. Happy with the midfield though. Could really do with a decent alternative to Shrek too....

Baines and then Shaw will replace Cole, when you get past those two centre backs it's a worry. Maybe if Moyes plays Smalling or Jones there from xmas onwards, they may challenge those two.  

Baines and then Shaw will replace Cole, when you get past those two centre backs it's a worry. Maybe if Moyes plays Smalling or Jones there from xmas onwards, they may challenge those two.  

Smalling yes, but I don't think CB will be Jones' eventual position tbh. Personally I'd have given Shawcross more of a chance in friendlies, he's always looked solid for Stoke when he's got someone decent playing next to him.

Shaw I think is a good call, but personally I don't really rate Baines. He's competant, but not outstanding.

Smalling yes, but I don't think CB will be Jones' eventual position tbh. Personally I'd have given Shawcross more of a chance in friendlies, he's always looked solid for Stoke when he's got someone decent playing next to him.

Shaw I think is a good call, but personally I don't really rate Baines. He's competant, but not outstanding.

Not good enough for international football. imo

Baines is good enough going forward, but he might end up like Prince Charles, waiting so long for someone older and better to retire and by the time they do a younger, brighter upstart will overshadow him

international football is all about control, you have to have a good shape and balance to the team

J.HART

G.JOHNSON  G.CAHILL  P.JAGIELKA  COLE

P.JONES  S.GERRARD

A.TOWNSEND  J.WILSHERE  D.WELBECK

W.ROONEY

It's a good point and for 'that game' in Manuas I'd be tempted to play creative midfielders in the wide positions for 60/70 minutes and then unleash the speed merchants. 90C heat and 80% humidity then seeing Walcott and Townsend coming off the bench on 70 minutes would be scary, even for Italian full backs.

Not good enough for international football. imo

Baines is good enough going forward, but he might end up like Prince Charles, waiting so long for someone older and better to retire and by the time they do a younger, brighter upstart will overshadow him

Problem is, most of the current crop of centre backs aren't really good enough, especially when you scratch beyond the surface of the first pair.

Baines, I'd describe as a 7/10 player. Again, not good enough for international football for me. Also the latest in a long line of fullbacks who are far more concerned with getting forward, and less about keeping the door shut at the back.

Forster

Johnson Jagielka Cahill Baines

Barry

Gerrard      Wilshere/Barkley

Walcott                                                            Welbeck

Rooney

Hart

Walker

Cahill

Jagielka

Baines

Wilshere

Carrick

Barkley

Lampard

Lallanna

Rooney

Not a fan of Walker or Jagielka.

Cole doesn't offer as much going forward as he did 2,3 years ago.

I still rate Lampard as a tidy player with quality set pieces and a genuine goal threat. I'd stick with him and get rid of Gerrard's action man performances.

Forster

Johnson Jagielka Cahill Baines

Barry

Gerrard      Wilshere/Barkley

Walcott                                                            Welbeck

Rooney

Looking at that team made me think of Everton. If i were Roberto Martinez i would buy Will Hughes for £12m cash up front, pair him in CM with Ross Barkley and have Gareth Barry looking after 'em in the Eustace position.

Fook off Martinez if your reading this btw.

Looking at that team made me think of Everton. If i were Roberto Martinez i would buy Will Hughes for £12m cash up front, pair him in CM with Ross Barkley and have Gareth Barry looking after 'em in the Eustace position.

Fook off Martinez if your reading this btw.

Be some midfield, that.

Always rated Barry. Bit of an unfashionable player in recent years but his ball retention is excellent and he does the simple things right. Unfortunately I don't think he'll ever live down the Germany game in 2010 but he's been one of the best English midfielders around this season.

Re Walcott - don't rate him particularly highly but we're not blessed with wingers. For what it's worth I'd probably put Glen Johnson on the wing, he's quick and good going forward. Obviously won't happen though.

Archived