Download 2014

rezner

I know there's a few metalheads on this ere forum, so, what do you think so far.

I reckon it's a poor attempt at head-liners for me.

All but Aerosmith are middle order bands.Don't get me wrong I like them all,but head-liners.......purrrlease.

Guess we were spoilt last year

Those who haven't heard 

Friday- AX7 with Rob Zombie special guest. Both great live let me add

Saturday Linkin Park(really !! ) and Fall Out Boy   :rolleyes:

Sunday - Aerosmith and Alter Bridge

Discuss..........

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really liking the look of the line-up so far.

Not a massive fan of A7X but wouldn't mind seeing them live.

Fall Out Boy are OK and Linkin Park are fantastic live (plus Hybrid Theory is one of my favourite albums). Deserved headliners too.

And I'd see Alter Bridge, even if it's just for Metalingus :lol:

I'd like the look of it too if there were 2 more bands above them.Something like Kiss and Motley Crue one day,Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam another and I'd keep Aerosmith and maybe Alter Bridge.You know what I mean?

Last years Iron Maiden,Slipknot and Rammstein were proper headline acts. :cool: (not a Maiden fan but they are great live)

It's just not doing it for me. :(

Wanted to take my lad to his first,but, it may be Bloodstock instead  :D

I'd like the look of it too if there were 2 more bands above them.Something like Kiss and Motley Crue one day,Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam another and I'd keep Aerosmith and maybe Alter Bridge.You know what I mean?

Last years Iron Maiden,Slipknot and Rammstein were proper headline acts. :cool: (not a Maiden fan but they are great live)

It's just not doing it for me. :(

Wanted to take my lad to his first,but, it may be Bloodstock instead  :D

Yeah, but they're older bands and Download have always tried to keep at least one of the headliners relatively current. You're not going to get many bands this side of the century that have sold 60 million albums worldwide like Linkin Park have. Even Slipknot and Rammstein haven't sold that many (perhaps combined?).

Album sales are the last thing you should ever, ever use as a measure of quality or worth. We might as well have Elton John headlining, playing Candle in the Wind 20 times in a row because he used to make rock albums.

Despite my protestations, I'm not really arsed who headlines, I'll just ignore them and go to watch some of the other hundred or so bands, far better to discover new ones to enjoy than to hang on to old ones in it for the paycheck.

I dislike main stage anyway, crap sound and crap views.

Album sales are the last thing you should ever, ever use as a measure of quality or worth.

Despite my protestations, I'm not really arsed who headlines, I'll just ignore them and go to watch some of the other hundred or so bands, far better to discover new ones to enjoy than to hang on to old ones in it for the paycheck.

Headliners have to be the most popular bands on the bill (able to draw the most people in). Popular = album sales + tickets sold.

If this very simple formula wasn't used, we may as well have Dying Fetus headlining.

Headliners have to be the most popular bands on the bill (able to draw the most people in). Popular = album sales + tickets sold.

If this very simple formula wasn't used, we may as well have Dying Fetus headlining.

Yes, I know.

It's the way it has to be, but I just can't help hating it, especially when people start hyping a headliner up as the best a festival has to offer and making decisions whether to go or not based on the headline acts.

I did some volunteering at a more folk / indie based one in 2012 and enjoyed seeing bands/artists I'd never heard of, then went to Download this year and focussed on the 2nd stage and tents and enjoyed it.

It drives me mad, all the hype. Mega-hype never does anything except drive me away from things.

At £300 for me and me lad,I want feck off explosions and to be thoroughly entertained with songs we(and most of the crowd) know from bands that can deliver.

Lights, big bangs and loud feck off amps.A visual and audible feast,if you will.

I have no doubt there will be loads of other bands doing great sets and making it a great weekend but for a finale I want all of the above.

Luckily, there are several stages. Last year we watched the headliners and a couple of bands on the main stage per day, but there was some absolute quality on the Encore Stage (Monster Truck besides - they were crap) - Dir En Grey, Uriah Heep, Dragonforce, Europe, Thunder, Masters of Reality, Amon Amarth, Airbourne in particular were absolutely fantastic and even Ghost were a laugh (yes, I was pissed by then). We even spent quite a bit of time at the acoustic stage (when I say 'acoustic' some bands did take the piss with that description).

A festival's much more than the headliners.

Re the Dying Fetus campaign, I think we need to get the might of Derbyshire Metal to really push Witch Cross for either Download or Bloodstock - if not both. At least there's one decent headliner for Bloodstock next year - Megadeth, and the mighty Saxon are there too.

£300! Feck! I was at the Monstrous Cock festival 20 years ago - WTF happened to it?

20 years ago? You Johnny-come-lately.

Saxon in 1980 were pretty good, and Judas Priest were superb, Scorpions even better. Never could stand Rainbow - I honestly thought that they were 'below' Ritchie Blackmore. One memory about that first ever Monsters of Rock - there was a band who had totally slipped below my horizon and faded from my memory, who produced an absolutely superb cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man. I had to google them to remember who they were - April Wine (a Canadian band, still going strong).

Here they are from the same year, broadcast by the Beeb on their Rock Goes to College programme, raping innocents with napalm fire…..

20 years ago? You Johnny-come-lately.

Saxon in 1980 were pretty good, and Judas Priest were superb, Scorpions even better. Never could stand Rainbow - I honestly thought that they were 'below' Ritchie Blackmore. One memory about that first ever Monsters of Rock - there was a band who had totally slipped below my horizon and faded from my memory, who produced an absolutely superb cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man. I had to google them to remember who they were - April Wine (a Canadian band, still going strong).

Here they are from the same year, broadcast by the Beeb on their Rock Goes to College programme, raping innocents with napalm fire…..

April wine were(still are) excellent,I only got 2 of their albums though.Nature of the Beast and Greatest Hits.I went to all of the Monsters of Rock one dayers.Only been to 2 or 3 Downloads,or was one an Ozzfest, can't remember.

Great days out I presume,i was pretty much p1ssed for third act in  :rolleyes:

Ozzfest at Donington was 2002 (he said, Googling it) - the year before Download started. They did christen the Saturday in 2005 Ozzfest Day though.

To me, it's still just Donington, always has been Donington and always will be Donington. Never heard Bruce shout "Scream for me, Monsters of Rock". I like the fact that the 'old' bands still refer to it that way too - and of course Saxon immortalised it with "And The Bands Played On"

Archived