Derby County v Birmingham City

Gritstone Ram

I haven't had the chance to see the replay of the goal yet but thought that we looked far better at right back with Wisdom than with Smith. He knew how to defend, hold his position and tackle and thought he had a good game. I know that some people want him to be a winger as well, but I'd rather we learned how to defend properly first.

Not so sure about Dawkins, one or two flashes but generally couldn't keep the ball under control and run at the same time, and hung onto it for far too long when a quick pass would have put a player in on goal. But seeing as he hasn't played much and is in a new team, happy to give him time and I'm sure there's more to come.

For those who said that Bryson was poor, I'd argue he made some cracking runs beyond Martin, but the supply line to him wasn't up to scratch from Ward or Dawkins. Hughesy too wasn't at the races, particularly 2nd half, where he looked tired. This is where we are missing Hendrick particularly to give us another option.

Sammon is what he is. There's not point playing the ball up to him in the air like you can Martin because he can't control it there. He missed that volley but give him credit for putting the defender under so much pressure he created the chance himself by getting the defender to miskick the ball into the air.

We all know about the chances we created, at least one of which should have won us the game, but actually Birmingham - albeit one dimensional and ugly to watch - had us in a panic every time they got a corner/cross in, some of which just flashed right across our goal and only needed a touch/ricochet to go in. I could see them sneaking it late on so wan't too upset with a draw. And overall I reckon Granty was the busier keeper with what he actually had to deal with (mostly corners).

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't had the chance to see the replay of the goal yet but thought that we looked far better at right back with Wisdom than with Smith. He knew how to defend, hold his position and tackle and thought he had a good game. I know that some people want him to be a winger as well, but I'd rather we learned how to defend properly first.

Not so sure about Dawkins, one or two flashes but generally couldn't keep the ball under control and run at the same time, and hung onto it for far too long when a quick pass would have put a player in on goal. But seeing as he hasn't played much and is in a new team, happy to give him time and I'm sure there's more to come.

For those who said that Bryson was poor, I'd argue he made some cracking runs beyond Martin, but the supply line to him wasn't up to scratch from Ward or Dawkins. Hughesy too wasn't at the races, particularly 2nd half, where he looked tired. This is where we are missing Hendrick particularly to give us another option.

Sammon is what he is. There's not point playing the ball up to him in the air like you can Martin because he can't control it there. He missed that volley but give him credit for putting the defender under so much pressure he created the chance himself by getting the defender to miskick the ball into the air.

We all know about the chances we created, at least one of which should have won us the game, but actually Birmingham - albeit one dimensional and ugly to watch - had us in a panic every time they got a corner/cross in, some of which just flashed right across our goal and only needed a touch/ricochet to go in. I could see them sneaking it late on so wan't too upset with a draw. And overall I reckon Granty was the busier keeper with what he actually had to deal with (mostly corners).

Someone who can comprehend what is happening on the pitch. Frightening on this forum. 

Someone who can comprehend what is happening on the pitch. Frightening on this forum. 

We all realise that only you know it all about football and all things associated with it and DCFC - we just try to have opinions and hope you dont scold us to much for not achieving what you consider to be your standard of football knowledge and DCFC.

We all realise that only you know it all about football and all things associated with it and DCFC - we just try to have opinions and hope you dont scold us to much for not achieving what you consider to be your standard of football knowledge and DCFC.

Why thank you, how kind.

We did not deserve a draw. 

For me, unless the goals / key points are dictated by incorrect refereeing decisions, every match ends with each team getting exactly what they deserved from it.

If a team has 20 shots on target and don't score, they don't deserve more from the game than the team who kept a clean sheet but scored with their only shot on target.

You're coming on leaps and bounds in dispelling the argumentative stereotype surrounding you.

Wasn't the row on the coach coming back from forest supposedly triggered by nigel taking the p.....out of the loans which were being suggested to him.

I heard that it was a discussion about the relationship between the 11-year sunspot cycle and the availability of decent prawns in the Dublin Bay area.

It's as believable as anything else.

For me, unless the goals / key points are dictated by incorrect refereeing decisions, every match ends with each team getting exactly what they deserved from it.

If a team has 20 shots on target and don't score, they don't deserve more from the game than the team who kept a clean sheet but scored with their only shot on target.

I hate this argument

It's as if there's little point ever analysing a game. Whether one side played better than the other is just completely insignificant.

If one side dominated the other, created numerous chances then they deserved to win. They were better than the opposition in more ways, but failed in the important one. 

Apparently......and there was a huge row......and the rest is history.

There was indeed - and it is indeed. It's like that South Park episode featuring the Underpants Gnomes.

Phase 1 - Collect Underpants

Phase 2 - ???

Phase 3 - Profit

We are all trying to fathom out what the '???' is, but does it matter any more if we profit?

I heard that it was a discussion about the relationship between the 11-year sunspot cycle and the availability of decent prawns in the Dublin Bay area.

It's as believable as anything else.

Well it was reported very swiftly at the time.....but if you prefer the sunspot theory then let me introduce you to Piers Corbyn sometime.

8/10 for sarcasm.

Well played, sir.

I hate this argument

It's as if there's little point ever analysing a game. Whether one side played better than the other is just completely insignificant.

If one side dominated the other, created numerous chances then they deserved to win. They were better than the opposition in more ways, but failed in the important one. 

I did say 'for me'. I wasn't saying other viewpoints are wrong, I wouldn't really call it an argument, per se - just an opinion.

Well it was reported very swiftly at the time.....but if you prefer the sunspot theory then let me introduce you to Piers Corbyn sometime.

The fact that there was an argument was reported. What it concerned wasn't. Just messageboard speculation.

Buxton has been Derbys most solid player for a while now. How he still gets stick is beyond me.

Wisdom looked excellent and I would love to see him and buxton in the Centre of defence.

Forsyth is not a left back but a left midfielder. Great going forward. Can't defend.

Hughes has massively had his head turned. Every game I see the price tag slip a couple of hundred grand.

Sammon is a horrible footballer. Can't hold up the ball. No composure. Two gilt edge chances wasted again.

Would love to see Jacobs actually given a chance.

Russell coming back will make a difference.

We're unbeaten under the new regime and they're learning about their squad.

A couple of transfer windows, a new captain/leader, a fit Hendrick and Russell, a deeper squad depth...

I'm optimistic.

Buxton has been Derbys most solid player for a while now. How he still gets stick is beyond me.

Wisdom looked excellent and I would love to see him and buxton in the Centre of defence.

Forsyth is not a left back but a left midfielder. Great going forward. Can't defend.

Hughes has massively had his head turned. Every game I see the price tag slip a couple of hundred grand.

Sammon is a horrible footballer. Can't hold up the ball. No composure. Two gilt edge chances wasted again.

Would love to see Jacobs actually given a chance.

Russell coming back will make a difference.

We're unbeaten under the new regime and they're learning about their squad.

A couple of transfer windows, a new captain/leader, a fit Hendrick and Russell, a deeper squad depth...

I'm optimistic.

Martin was very poor and I think that did not help Hughes or Bryson and when Martin was subbed Bryson and Hughes disappeared because sammon is just *****

Archived