Sachin Tendulkar

DCFC_17

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing to think he is the second greatest player ever in the history of the sport and I've seen him live.

100's of thousands of people have played the game over 100's of years and this guy is one of the best ever, only second to bradman.

RIP indian cricket.

It's impossible to say where he ranked in an all-time list (same reason as I posted in the boxing thread - time doesn't work like that) but people will try - it's second nature to make comparisons. Suffice to say he was a joy to watch. I feel privileged to have watched Gary Sobers, Graeme Pollock, Ken Barrington, Greg Chappell, Brian Lara, Viv Richards and a few others in their prime, and Sachin is worthy of inclusion alongside those chaps as someone who could turn a day at the cricket match into a day spent in heaven. 

Eddie I also had the privilege of seeing all those you mentioned, I was even at the Trent Bridge ashes in 1948, The Don and Ray Lindwall  and others, but can not really remember much, It was two weeks before my fifth birthday.

Saw Walcott, Worrell and Weeks, they were not too dusty.

Gary sobers is without question the greatest cricketer ever to lace up his boots .

Eddie I also had the privilege of seeing all those you mentioned, I was even at the Trent Bridge ashes in 1948, The Don and Ray Lindwall  and others, but can not really remember much, It was two weeks before my fifth birthday.

Saw Walcott, Worrell and Weeks, they were not too dusty.

Gary sobers is without question the greatest cricketer ever to lace up his boots .

I totally and utterly agree with this.

Sobers was a world-class batsman, a deceptively quick opening or first-change bowler, could also bowl leftie off-breaks and over-the-wrist to international standard AND was a brilliant slipper and leg slip. At the peak of his powers he would have walked into any team of any nationality anywhere in history. He was also a thoroughly nice and polite chap with time for everybody.

I had the privilege of bowling a few balls to him in the indoor nets at Trent Bridge

I totally and utterly agree with this.

Sobers was a world-class batsman, a deceptively quick opening or first-change bowler, could also bowl leftie off-breaks and over-the-wrist to international standard AND was a brilliant slipper and leg slip. At the peak of his powers he would have walked into any team of any nationality anywhere in history. He was also a thoroughly nice and polite chap with time for everybody.

I had the privilege of bowling a few balls to him in the indoor nets at Trent Bridge

I hope you faired better than Malcolm Nash

Archived