Steve McClaren: a thoroughly continental coach and an appointment not to be scoffed at

ConnorArmstrong

Hi all, Saints fan in peace.

I write for a fair few sporting news websites and having seen some of the stuff being pedalled about McClaren and some of the disparaging comments based on little other than force-fed tabloid spiel, I decided to write about the man.

Here's my view on McClaren, and why it has potential to be a good appointment.

Steve McClaren: a thoroughly continental coach and an appointment not to be scoffed at - http://connorarmstrong.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/steve-mcclaren-thoroughly-continental.html

All feedback welcome. Also, if you are able to share this elsewhere so more Rams fans could see it - I'd be most grateful.

Thanks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic read, I really enjoyed that.

No doubt people will tell you not to call us 'county'... But I don't mind. Just means were the biggest club in the world with the surname of County :)

Thanks for a little more insight into SM's career.

Top.

The best writer who ever put pen to paper about Derby County - George Edwards (Gerald Mortimer's predecessor) - often used to refer to us as 'County'. It's very much a modern trait for people to throw a wobbly whenever they hear it. I don't mind either way personally. We even used to say the 'C' word in a song on the Popside...

"Onward Derby County

Though the way is tough,

You can do it Derby,

You and Brian Clough.

What a combination

To set before the fans,

Knock the goals in County,

The best team in the land"

(repeat)

The best writer who ever put pen to paper about Derby County - George Edwards (Gerald Mortimer's predecessor) - often used to refer to us as 'County'. It's very much a modern trait for people to throw a wobbly whenever they hear it. I don't mind either way personally. We even used to say the 'C' word in a song on the Popside...

"Onward Derby County

Though the way is tough,

You can do it Derby,

You and Brian Clough.

What a combination

To set before the fans,

Knock the goals in County,

The best team in the land"

(repeat)

That's a bloody good chant that is!

I wonder why fans don't like it nowadays, I think it's quite cool. But hey I'm a young'un- what do I know :)

Must admit I don't know a Derby fan that does refer to us as county, have we ever?

I write for a fair few sporting news websites and having seen some of the stuff being pedalled about McClaren and some of the disparaging comments based on little other than force-fed tabloid spiel, I decided to write about the man.

Steve McClaren: a thoroughly continental coach and an appointment not to be scoffed at - http://connorarmstrong.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/steve-mcclaren-thoroughly-continental.html

All feedback welcome. Also, if you are able to share this elsewhere so more Rams fans could see it - I'd be most grateful.

Thanks.

LoL don't be a twonker.

When I was at college in the dark ages you had all these foreign students who just came and learned everything parrot fashion - ask them a question that was exactly the same as in the book and they could give you the perfect answer, but shift it about a bit, i.e instead of a+b=c ask them what's c-a and they hadn't a clue, they didn't understand what they'd learned, they could just regurgitate it.

Well that's McClaren all over. Might have the top EUFA coaching badge, but ask him to take what he has written on that bit of paper and apply it to a slightly different situation in real life with real people, their egos, their confidence or lack of it, etc, and he hasn't got a clue.

He might be able to talk for hours about the stuff he learned in a book and how it supposedly applies to football, but he's a man with no charisma, no personality, and no clue and he is probably one of the worst coaches in the game anywhere in the world.

His presence is taking effect already, 3-1 down at home after 14 minutes - and he's not even properly in charge yet.

RIP Derby County Football Club.

But good luck anyway.

LoL don't be a twonker.

When I was at college in the dark ages you had all these foreign students who just came and learned everything parrot fashion - ask them a question that was exactly the same as in the book and they could give you the perfect answer, but shift it about a bit, i.e instead of a+b=c ask them what's c-a and they hadn't a clue, they didn't understand what they'd learned, they could just regurgitate it.

Well that's McClaren all over. Might have the top EUFA coaching badge, but ask him to take what he has written on that bit of paper and apply it to a slightly different situation in real life with real people, their egos, their confidence or lack of it, etc, and he hasn't got a clue.

He might be able to talk for hours about the stuff he learned in a book and how it supposedly applies to football, but he's a man with no charisma, no personality, and no clue and he is probably one of the worst coaches in the game anywhere in the world.

His presence is taking effect already, 3-1 down at home after 14 minutes - and he's not even properly in charge yet.

But good luck anyway.

I'd love to be able to just learn a coaching manual, finish in the top eight of the Premier League and reach a European Cup Final then. As well as win the Eredivisie and build a pretty mean team.

Don't be so dismissive.

I'd love to be able to just learn a coaching manual, finish in the top eight of the Premier League and reach a European Cup Final then. As well as win the Eredivisie and build a pretty mean team.

Don't be so dismissive.

LoL - how many £millions did he spend to finish in the top 8 and win the almight league cup that no ones interested in?

How many £millions do you have for him to blow?

The suggestion for Middlesborough was that it was the senior players and their know how that achieved for them, not McC, and at twente it was the team assembled by the prior coach.

When he went there the 2nd time to do it all himself under his own steam he failed.

With the best players in the country at his disposal he failed miserably, as he has everywhere else.

Doesn't bode well however you look at it, and we know, we had him first and have seen first hand how dismal he is.

Thanks.

As said a good read and thanks for taking the time to post. Always liked Southampton as a good football City.

LoL don't be a twonker.

But good luck anyway.

You're kidding right? Those he's worked with consider him one of the most progressive and forward thinking English coaches in recent times. I understand you might not like the guy or think he's up to much because of what he did at your place but don't talk such *****.

Archived