iTunes - theres must be someone out there who can explain!?

Duracell

I'm really OCD about my iTunes music, I'm one of those people that HAS to have the album art on every single song before it can go on my iPhone.

Until recently, I took pride in the fact every single song had the correct album art.

But recently, with no reason, iTunes keeps deleting album art. Why?!

Even when I replace it, another one gets deleted. Then the one I just replaced removes the art again.

The most annoying thing is, I can't find anyone on any apple forum having the same issue as me.

There is my final chance - please, anyone....why is this happening and how can it be stopped?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, and another problem - I've downloaded the Arctic Monkey's full album after downloading the tracks released before the album. I then try to merge all the tracks I've downloaded into one album. I've done all the track listing and it works fine, apart from one track which should be track 9, and no matter what number I make it, it's always shown as the last track on the album.

It's the new iTunes, I never ever had problems like this before. But now it's impossible to work with.

I might just throw my laptop out of the bedroom window in a minute.

EDIT: okay, just synced my iPod and I've decided someone in apple HQ has a personal vendetta against me, it's now started syncing albums twice to the same iPod. What the hell is going on!?

Oh, and another problem - I've downloaded the Arctic Monkey's full album after downloading the tracks released before the album. I then try to merge all the tracks I've downloaded into one album. I've done all the track listing and it works fine, apart from one track which should be track 9, and no matter what number I make it, it's always shown as the last track on the album.

It's the new iTunes, I never ever had problems like this before. But now it's impossible to work with.

I might just throw my laptop out of the bedroom window in a minute.

EDIT: okay, just synced my iPod and I've decided someone in apple HQ has a personal vendetta against me, it's now started syncing albums twice to the same iPod. What the hell is going on!?

Might be able to help with the first bit about track 9 always being last. Check for spelling errors in all of the "Get Info" areas (they have to be identical) and put 1 in the sections "disc number" and "of" so it will be like "disc 1 of 1". When this happens to me, it's usually because the awkward track doesn't have the latter bit in. Otherwise, I can't help you :lol:

I've also experienced your problem of album artwork disappearing too. No idea what causes it (or how to solve it) but I find it's usually the songs I've illegally downloaded that it happens to most, if not all, of the time.

Might be able to help with the first bit about track 9 always being last. Check for spelling errors in all of the "Get Info" areas (they have to be identical) and put 1 in the sections "disc number" and "of" so it will be like "disc 1 of 1". When this happens to me, it's usually because the awkward track doesn't have the latter bit in. Otherwise, I can't help you :lol:

I've also experienced your problem of album artwork disappearing too. No idea what causes it (or how to solve it) but I find it's usually the songs I've illegally downloaded that it happens to most, if not all, of the time.

Thanks for the response, unfortunately I'd done all of that. Disc number, track spelling, genre etc - all matched up. Even checked for a rogue space in it. 

It comes up in order on my iPod, just not on iTunes. Which is annoying when it plays out of order.

Gah, this is doing my absolute nut in!

• 3 weeks later...

Help needed!!

I'm a total novice re iTunes/Ipod, but I've got involved in downloading about 100 CD's into iPod via iTunes (v 11) for somone I know who is in a care home, and who is virtually paralised.

I also use a program called Tune up to recover the artwork, which usually works, but not always. (I've found a way round this by scanning and cropping the covers, and pasting into the space in 'Get info')

The problem is, many of the CDs are (commercial) compilations, and Tune Up sometimes retrieves 3 or 4 album titles from 1 album, often with varying art work. e.g.1 album will have 12 of 18 tracks, 1 will have 1 of 1 tracks etc. I presume it's identifying some of the tracks from other albums in its database.

The Question is: how can I move the 'stray' tracks out of the bits and bobs into the main album. It's driving me nuts.

Any solutions? Remember, I'm an old crinkly as well as a novice.

Forget kids starving in Africa it's stuff like this I worry about.

Tell me more about this album art problem. You can't find anyone else complaining about this?

Apple censorship surely?

Cheers Alpha mate, nice to see someone taking a concern.

I won't bog down the rest of the thread with the technicalities so I'll drop you a lengthy PM to expand on the matter.

Help needed!!

I'm a total novice re iTunes/Ipod, but I've got involved in downloading about 100 CD's into iPod via iTunes (v 11) for somone I know who is in a care home, and who is virtually paralised.

I also use a program called Tune up to recover the artwork, which usually works, but not always. (I've found a way round this by scanning and cropping the covers, and pasting into the space in 'Get info')

The problem is, many of the CDs are (commercial) compilations, and Tune Up sometimes retrieves 3 or 4 album titles from 1 album, often with varying art work. e.g.1 album will have 12 of 18 tracks, 1 will have 1 of 1 tracks etc. I presume it's identifying some of the tracks from other albums in its database.

The Question is: how can I move the 'stray' tracks out of the bits and bobs into the main album. It's driving me nuts.

Any solutions? Remember, I'm an old crinkly as well as a novice.

You need to make sure every track has the exact same info in their "Get Info" tabs. Album and Disc Number need to be the same ("1 of 1"). Because it's a compilation (I'm guessing of different artists), you need to put Album Artist as "Various Artists" or something similar. This will make sure they're grouped together in your library.

You don't need Tune Up either. Click on all of the tracks (hold down the Control key to highlight them together), right click and choose "Get Album Artwork" (i think). Then it gets them from the iTunes store. Of course, for iTunes to recognise the album, it has to be named exactly how it is in the store.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a whirl.

To get the artwork from iTunes store, I seem to have to set up an account with credit card details and the like.

Is there a charge for the artwork? If not, why can't they just provide it like Windows Media player? (Rhetorical question)

No, there's no charge for album art on stuff you've already got. It's just they pull the artwork from the iTunes store, so you need to have an account.

Scott's right about the "Get info" part - it all needs to match in terms of Album Artist, Album Name, number of CDs and the date.

My problem is that having done all that, some of it still isn't right - but that's the theory at least.

The album art work is provided by a 3rd party supplier.

If you have a artist and song that appears in 2 or more of the albums you have eg Band X has song Y in Ablum Z also Band X has song Y in NOW 99.  iTunes does not know (most of the time) where it should belong and deletes the album cover so it can't be moaned/sued at.  It is also said that this happens for any artist/song that is duplicated in the 'real world' as fundamentally it  has no way of completly verify what the original source of the track was

As your collection gets bigger it gets worse, mine is only 35gig at the moment and I have stopped album art work, too much hasle

Archived