NFL thread

Perky1106

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An awful game. Ivory is a beast though.

He's been excellent. I could see Philbin getting sacked after this. I dislike Mike McCoy's conservative playcalling but at least he's taken San Diego to the playoffs, Philbin doesn't even have that going for him.

Philbin is a finesse coach & it's not working. There's no leaders. They have the talent just not the coaching. Frightening to think this was meant to be the easiest part of the schedule & they could easily be 0-4. 1 sack in 4 games is the worse in the NFL.

@Cisse - quick question.  When they talk about a UK based NFL team, why do they talk about moving the Jacksonville Jaguars rather than it being an expansion team?

It's been posited many times that they'd become London Jaguars.

That's down to three things:

1) They've committed to playing at Wembley and the new Spurs stadium
2) The owner - Shahid Khan is also involved with Fulham
3) Short franchise lease.

2 and 3 also apply to St Louis Rams - Stan Kroenke of Arsenal is involved there. Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers also have short leases each.

It's more likely to be a move rather than expansion - most likely because of the number, 32 teams fits really nicely into the 8 divisions. There hasn't been an expansion team since the Texans came in in 2002. I do believe there are plans for expansion to 34, though. LA seems the favourite - but again - this might just be a move. 

However, professional AmFootball teams here have been few and far between and short lived, so whether it would be sustainable is up for debate. A lot of NFL fans here already have some sort of feeling towards one team, so Jax would simply become a second team, based on locality.

Would people watch a UK NFL team on a regular basis? Or is it the novelty of being able to watch them in one off events? Certainly, when I went to Wembley last year to watch Lions @ Falcons (which, incidentally is how I started following Falcons), there were jerseys from just about all of the franchises, with a certain bias towards the more recent successful teams or well known players - e.g. Patriots, Seahawks, Broncos.

Incidentally there are other expansion plans, but not teams - its expected that the IS games will spread out to Germany and Mexico.

For further reading..: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000547487/article/london-team-by-2022-nfl-continues-to-forge-forward-in-uk

Stick a fork in the Ravens. Can't cope with these injuries.

Starters that are out or limited at the moment including Suggs, Forsett, Dumervil, Webb, Davis, Campanaro, Gilmore, Taliaferro, Smith Sr. and Elam. There's more than that too, that's just off the top of my head.

It's been posited many times that they'd become London Jaguars.

That's down to three things:

1) They've committed to playing at Wembley and the new Spurs stadium
2) The owner - Shahid Khan is also involved with Fulham
3) Short franchise lease.

2 and 3 also apply to St Louis Rams - Stan Kroenke of Arsenal is involved there. Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers also have short leases each.

It's more likely to be a move rather than expansion - most likely because of the number, 32 teams fits really nicely into the 8 divisions. There hasn't been an expansion team since the Texans came in in 2002. I do believe there are plans for expansion to 34, though. LA seems the favourite - but again - this might just be a move. 

However, professional AmFootball teams here have been few and far between and short lived, so whether it would be sustainable is up for debate. A lot of NFL fans here already have some sort of feeling towards one team, so Jax would simply become a second team, based on locality.

Would people watch a UK NFL team on a regular basis? Or is it the novelty of being able to watch them in one off events? Certainly, when I went to Wembley last year to watch Lions @ Falcons (which, incidentally is how I started following Falcons), there were jerseys from just about all of the franchises, with a certain bias towards the more recent successful teams or well known players - e.g. Patriots, Seahawks, Broncos.

Incidentally there are other expansion plans, but not teams - its expected that the IS games will spread out to Germany and Mexico.

For further reading..: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000547487/article/london-team-by-2022-nfl-continues-to-forge-forward-in-uk

I think a UK based franchise would be sustainable as there are many many fans in the UK who would want to watch their team play. It would probably sell out every week as a different team comes to visit. Could be like a home game for the travelling team.

Archived