August Review: It's just like last season, but newer!

Ambitious

I said I was going to do this, so here is my first installment. Feel free to comment, boo, call me a c*nt.. whatever really, enjoy. 

For all the excitement, pre-season hopes and dreams of a new dawn at pride park there seems to be one change at least, the inexplicable turn between home and away form from the previous season! The first month has finished, and we have lost 2 of our 3 league home games – bear in mind we only lost 4 through-out the whole of last season, but we have won 2 out of 2 league away games – bear in mind we only won 4 through-out the whole of last season! Despite the change in home and away form, which seems to be unexplainable the football we continue to produce is very similar to what we saw last season, this at least brings confidence that we are still a good footballing side and you have to back a good footballing side to do well in my opinion. There is cause to concern for the defence which has gone backwards since the loss of Brayford and the frustrating lack of concern for what is a ropey centre half partnership!

The games played at home in the league have left me feeling slightly uneasy, but what can you expect from 1 draw from a game which we arguably threw away 2 points and 2 losses despite having the majority of the ball and chances, but look idealess playing against well-structured defensive sides which arguably could be likened to the home games against Hull, Ipswich, Burnley and Brighton the year previous where we had the same problems. The football has been there, no denying that and we do look ‘promising’ with ‘potential’ to press on further but ‘promising’ and ‘potential’ don’t put points on the board. Away from home we have looked like a different animal to the year previous, implementing our own game plan on other teams pitches is what we struggled with last season, we seemed to lack perseverance and conviction, this season we travelled up to a good Brighton side and bettered their footballing side and made them change their gameplan, for me this is what we did a lot last season away from home, if we couldn’t get on top early doors we would play a direct brand of football, through the management or players I don’t know but it clearly didn’t work and that has most certainly been changed this season – Against Yeovil, we played at our own pace and picked them off when we had the chances, this was the most enjoyable away game I have seen for a long time and hope that it is a sign of this to come. The cup run has been enjoyable with our 5-0 home win being the game of the month, from our point of view. It was against a worse side, a much worse side but you still have to be professional and play what is in front of you – we played with clinical class and created enough chances to have won the game by double figures, with a lot of big and enjoyable performances.

The plan for this season, is to keep up with monthly reviews like this and watch every single game this season, and at the end of it have a comprehensive POTY and see where people have had ‘purple patches’ or been poor, who has been consistent – is there any players that get too much recognition, or some players that don’t get enough? Obviously these ratings are my own personal opinion, and this will vary between everyone, but, I can only put down what I feel and what I believe. I have also made a point of marking players down who have had an exceptional game against us and will also make an ‘opposition team of the month’ for ‘funsies’ as well as mark down goals and ‘assists’ since the term ‘assists’ is grey in terms of ‘some incidents’ I have decided to follow my own pattern in saying the last person to pass or touch the ball into the ‘goal scorer’ and if the goal is a penalty then the person that ‘forced’ the penalty, like Buxton did in the first game – therefore EVERY single goal should be accounted for by an assists, this is just for my own preference some people prefer the FL method, that’s fine but I’ll still mark it down here, markings will only be given to players who’ve managed a half or more – to keep the continuity of the ratings ‘fair’

Player Ratings:
Lee Grant – played 7 – average rating: 6.3

Adam Smith – played 3 – average rating: 6.3
Craig Forsyth – played 7 – averaged rating: 5.1 – Burnley MOTM
Craig Bryson – played 6 – average rating: 5.8 – Brentford MOTM
Richard Keogh – played 7 – average rating: 5.6
Paul Coutts – played 5 – average rating: 6.4
Jeff Hendrick – played 5 – average rating: 6.0
Chris Martin – played 6 – average rating: 6.8 – Brighton MOTM
Jamie Ward – played 3 – average rating: 5.0
Johnny Russell – played 5 – average rating: 6.0 – Yeovil MOTM
Michael Jacobs – played 1 – average rating: 8.0 – Oldham MOTM
John Eustace – played 2 – average rating: 7.5
Ben Davies – played 1 – average rating: 5.0
Kieron Freeman – played 5 – average rating: 5.8
Connor Sammon – played 2 – average rating: 7.0
Will Hughes – played 6 – average rating: 6.2 – Blackburn MOTM
Jake Buxton – played 7 – average rating: 6.1 – Leicester MOTM

*the players with greater than 50% game time in bold.

Team Rating:
Blackburn Game: 5.4
Oldham Game: 6.4
Brighton Game: 6.9
Leicester Game: 5.3
Yeovil Game: 6.5
Brentford Game: 7.6
Burnley Game: 4.4

Goal scorers & Assists:
Chris Martin – 5 goals + 1 assist
Craig Bryson – 1 goal + 3 assists
Connor Sammon – 2 goals + 1 assist
Johnny Russell – 2 goals
Will Hughes – 1 goal
Michael Jacobs – 1 goal
Adam Smith – 1 assist
Craig Forsyth – 1 assist
Richard Keogh – 1 assist
Jamie Ward – 1 assist
Ben Davies – 1 assist
Kieron Freeman – 1 assist
Jake Buxton – 1 assist

Chris Martin for me deserves player of the month, as well as performance of the month with his display against Brighton. I thought he was absolutely terrific that match, and got the highest rating of the month with a solid 9/10.

And as promised I thought I would pay a few respects to the players that put in a good performance against us, and build an ‘opposition’ team of the month – with the majority coming from opposition defence then I have opted for a 5-2-3 formation.

Jake Kean – The former Derby County keeper was outstanding in the opening day of the season, making a couple of impossible saves and was imperative in his team’s ability to grab a late point!

Luke Ayling – Despite being on the end of a 3-0 home defeat he stood out like a saw thumb and for me was the overall MOTM on the day, he constantly looked a huge threat down the right hand side and linked up well with the player in front of him to make sure it wasn’t plain sailing even at 3-0 up.

Liam Moore  - Youthful defender that supported his bigger counter-part Morgan excellently, was a very experienced performance and made sure our strikers got no change out of him.

Wes Morgan – Notably since moving to Leicester has been nothing but outstanding against us, and this game made absolutely no change, and to be fair have to say he has been the best I have seen this month and I’m sure many will agree.

Jason Shackell – was always likely to happen, was THE integral part in Burnley win and even notched the third goal to add insult to injury, would have him back tomorrow.

Tommy Spurr – being lightly linked to him in the summer he was going to be a talking point regardless, thought he handled himself brilliantly and let nothing past him – as well as putting in some very important blocks and challenges.

Rohan Ince – not a household name, but a very good performance from an over-sized teenager. Played centre mid with Augustien(?) who was awful, so had to carry him as well as watch over Hughes which he did pretty well, good game.

Andy King – sat dead centre for Leicester and didn’t allow our midfield free-range, as well as linking up well with the attacking players at Leicester, thought it was a very comprehensive performance.

Ruben Rochina – a player with very good ability, was a massive and unforgettable hole in our side even if he did play 30 minutes before he came off injured, thought he was outstanding and put our midfield on edge.

Leonardo Ulloa – a very good striker, and if we were to get promoted I would love for us to sign him – a complete specimen upfront, and despite only given scraps against us nearly turned them into a feast, hitting the crossbar from a header 18 yards out – no player at this level should be able to do that, very strong but very good on the ball also.. class act.

Danny Ings – a player I have liked since I watched him at Bournemouth, so very talented (in my fantasy football team) and one I expected to hit the ground running when he signed, has struggled with injuries but as it seems now he is fully fit, and very much like enjoying his football – didn’t get ‘incredible’ service against us, but he made us sweat.. a lot.

That concludes my first monthly report, hope everyone enjoyed the read and it wasn’t too jaded – not used to writing in this format, and let me know where I could improve it as I will look to do this every month, as I sit and watch every single match.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair play mate. Would struggle to argue with anything but tiny details in that assessment.

The poor home performances are as baffling to me as others. I think we've done alright in all 3 games, created decent enough openings and defended well for large portions if games but failed to really capitalise. Individual errors have cost us and i hope there's nothing more inherently wrong than a few mistakes and players finding their feet.

Martin is the stand out so far, i dont think many saw the goal return even though his quality wasn't in doubt.

Perhaps what we've really lacked in he home performances is a leader and someone to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. Whilst it's clear to me a comanding CB is a must perhaps it's a good opportunity to give Eustace a run in the side at DCM to protect and secure the back four and get a grip of the game in the middle of the park... We look lightweight without Jeff and Hughes and Bryso would get a bit more freedom up the field.

i definitely agree with martin as player of the month - i wasn't convinced that he was a good signing when he did join us. however i've had the privilege of seeing all three of his league goals for us this season. i'm also a big fan of his ability to draw fouls and win us free-kicks, even if at times he could be accused of diving.

what about goal of the month? who would you say that belongs to? i'll say bryson's vs yeovil - great move.

Thanks for the comments!

I will do this every month, and at the end of the season I should have enough to be utterly depressed until the next year.

We might need to book a monthly appointment with a therapist to help you through each difficult analysis period...

Our footballing style this season suits away performances rather than home. IF we can get teams to come onto us and we keep the ball like we have doen away from home, we will always stand a chance of a result.

At home though we do not get on the front foot enough, our build up play is too slow and good teams are organised at the back. We need to play quicker at home and not let teams get their defense set.. Clough needs to work this out and quick.

Players as groups..

Defense 3/10.. Too slow. League 2 at best.

Midfield 6/10.. Like the floating formation but the players need to work on it.. Too oftten get caught with a big hole in front of the back 4.

Attack 6/10.. Too early for Russell. All too static for me, not enough movement. Some good signs.

Management.. 3/10.. Like some of the football but Clough needs to adapt to situations quicker. Coaching meetings must be held in the Harvester, bunch of fat slobs.

Board/Owners.. 2/10 They have run out of spin credits.. Even the blind faithers are starting to get restless. Shape up or ship out.. Next seasons season ticket uptake is going to be interesting.. Message to the Rushmeister... NO PRODUCT, NO PUNTERS = NO SALARY FOR YOU. Don't ignore your customers... First rule of business. We don't expect you to sign Messi but we also don't expect to be lied to. Football fans from any club are alot more in the know than you think. You have spun your last spin your credibility is zero now.

:angry:

Archived