How to solve a problem like Forsyth

Suffolk Sheep

it seems unfair to judge forsyth on a couple of games. he's just getting used to playing left back and he's quite young. as he becomes more confident i can see him attacking more and also defending better. hoganson is definitely a better option as back-up than playing freeman at leftback and smith at rightback, because freeman will play rightback for us in the future, so why play him out of position and give smith, a loanee and frankly worse player, at rightback? one thing i think we could do would be to play hoganson on the bench instead of smith, as forsyth looks a little more shaky than freeman at the moment and therefore is more likely to be replaced.

hopefully we do see some more movement in the transfer window, but to bring in another centre back. keogh and buxton are, as a pair, in my opinion the weak link in the side. they are, in some ways, a "problem". 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on the quality of the team for me, if you are going to hopefully have more than 50% of the possession which we aim to do then your full back will be utilised as an attacking option more than a defensive one. Some defensive ability is a must as is some footballing ability.

The four left backs you mentioned were all far superior to camera for me. Mcevely played well in patches, was very good on his day. Roberts did a job in his three years here, still think moxey was unlucky to be sold. Jordan Stewart is pretty close I'll maybe give you that one.

Personally would much still much rather have moxey than Forsyth.

Personally thought Moxey was no great shakes to be honest, thought over rated by a lot of Derby fans, looked ok in a poor Derby side at the time, think he will get totally found out at premier league level with Palace. Maybe not even in the side come end of season, totally subjective of course!

We've conceded three goals in 6 games. 3 in 4 in the league. 50% of our games we've kept a clean sheet.

We've conceded one in the last minute, one own goal where we'd actually managed to block the shot on the line, and one away to Brighton where we're comfortable in possession, suddenly a rushed jeff ball to keogh and a hurried ball from keogh to Grant, one hoofed clearance and four "one touches" later they've scored.

I see what everyone is saying about Forsyth and Keogh and Buxton, but for heavens sakes lads, it's half a goal a game, it's not like any of the sides we''ve played have carved us open.

In other words Chill Winston.

If we keep going in that shape, we're going to go the whole season conceding 34.5 goals and we're going to be in very good shape indeed.

how to solve a problem like forsyth?

keep playing him.

i agree with srg post earlier. not the quickest - but is clearly learning the defensive side of his game.

i did't think his passing was awful yesterday and some of his crosses are excellent.

Forsyth is what he is a steady eddy and he adds a bit of height which we did lack. He isn't great at much but does his job to a level. Can we get better? Yes we can but that costs money which we don't have a lot off.

As for Mo I'm with the people who rated him, as a defender he was excellent, strong in the air, quick and no wingers got the better of him. He has one major problem which was he was terrible on the ball and it looked like a hot potato when he had it.

Personally thought Moxey was no great shakes to be honest, thought over rated by a lot of Derby fans, looked ok in a poor Derby side at the time, think he will get totally found out at premier league level with Palace. Maybe not even in the side come end of season, totally subjective of course!

I agree he's probably not prem quality, palace are in for a right tough season in my opinion. Nice to be having problems/debates like this whilst winning. Personally think all feels very optimistic around the club in general at the minute

I agree he's probably not prem quality, palace are in for a right tough season in my opinion. Nice to be having problems/debates like this whilst winning. Personally think all feels very optimistic around the club in general at the minute

Agreed, think they barely break 20points haven't got much quality at all. Might struggle for a couple of seasons as well. Yeah seems quite optimistic around club at minute, finally might have some goalscorers who might be capable of managing the magical 20 goal mark this season

Agreed, think they barely break 20points haven't got much quality at all. Might struggle for a couple of seasons as well. Yeah seems quite optimistic around club at minute, finally might have some goalscorers who might be capable of managing the magical 20 goal mark this season

Imagine if we've found two! Looks like its really made Sammon up his game as well, wonder if a centre back would do similar to Keogh and Buxton!

Imagine if we've found two! Looks like its really made Sammon up his game as well, wonder if a centre back would do similar to Keogh and Buxton!

I do think if hughes goes he will be loaned back an we will get one in either on loan or in January

For what it's worth, I thought he defended quite well last night. He got skinned in about the 2nd minute but after that not much got past him.

I think its quite clear that he is a confidence player so its important not to make him to the scapegoat which our fans always seem to need one of.

I think he has stood out in the last two games for the simple reason that the ball has spent a lot of time in his area of the pitch, I'm not sure if this is because teams are deliberately targeting him or if its just a coincidence that the last two teams that we have played star player seemed to be their right wingers.

As others have said, defends ok and this will get better with experience, brilliant crosser of the ball, its just his distribution when given time that he needs to work on.

talk about creating problems that aren't there.

Derby fans have a history of not understanding what they are criticising.

Fans used to slate Mo Camara. The reason was because he was useless attacking. BUT his actual job was to defend and Mo Camara was rarely (if ever) the weak-link or the defensive cause of a problem.

Forsyth is the same. HOW many goals have been a result of his poor defending?

Forsyth does need to improve the accuracy of his passing, but he rarely makes a mistake in the defensive 3rd, just when advanced.

Leave him alone and stop looking for problems. Keogh is the weak link

stop looking for problems. Keogh is the weak link, keogh is the weak link, stop looking for problems. Stop looking for problems, keogh is the weak link, keogh is the weak link, stop looking for problems.

stop looking for problems. Keogh is the weak link

stop looking for problems. Keogh is the weak link, keogh is the weak link, stop looking for problems. Stop looking for problems, keogh is the weak link, keogh is the weak link, stop looking for problems.

stop looking for problems. Keogh is the weak link

So Bucko is the weak link

Archived