Do we have a large turnover of players?

WilkoRam

When you look at the number of games some of the players on the list above has actually turned out for us you have got to question the decision to sign them in the first place.

I do think a number of the signings seem to have been haphazard and maybe you have to call the scouting of these players into question.

Clough does seem to have a habit of signing players who don't fit into his system and them discarding them when they aren't able to adapt or change, freezing them out never to be seen again.

Which players do you have a concern about being brought in and not fitting into the system? I can only think of Martin and he isn't even on that list. I don't think the turnover of players at Derby is that excessive compared to many other clubs, but that is the life of football - players come and players go. I have listed below the clubs who have a perfect transfer record:

Teams with perfect transfer record

1.                   -                          

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clough does seem to have a habit of signing players who don't fit into his system and them discarding them when they aren't able to adapt or change, freezing them out never to be seen again.

Do you mean Dave Martin, Chris Maguire, Thomasz Cywka, Theo Robinson and James Bailey?

Yes and you can probably add Jacobs and croft to Dan Martin to the list of wingers which we don't use.

For me the problem isn't the turnover of fist team regulars players like Brayford moved for the right reasons or the belief they are progressing in their career but its the players we sign who don't play it's just a waste of of money paying fees, agents and wages for players who don't ever get a run in the team.

Is it just me?

I think it's perfectly normal for any boss to hire some people, then when he realises they haven't quite worked out in the way they hoped, or they cant quite do the job they were brought in to do,  then the boss fires them or they let them go.

In the real world it's maybe called a trial or a probation period. In football they get fixed term contracts so can't just be booted out if they're a bad egg or a rotten apple.

It's really weird for me this concept of looking to blame a manager for moving players on just because he's asked them to do something and they haven't done or can't do what he asked.

I'll mention by the way that is isn't blindly defending our manager, it;s just making a normal natural point.

Yes and you can probably add Jacobs and croft to Dan Martin to the list of wingers which we don't use.

For me the problem isn't the turnover of fist team regulars players like Brayford moved for the right reasons or the belief they are progressing in their career but its the players we sign who don't play it's just a waste of of money paying fees, agents and wages for players who don't ever get a run in the team.

Michael Jacobs? A player who has made 40 appearances for the club in the last year?

So now are you are talking about players brought in for the first team squad then not played. Dave Martin who couldn't adjust and Chris Maguire who flopped and continues to flop. Croft never progressed but why would you include Jacobs in that? Jacobs had 42 appearances last year. 

Is it just me?

I think it's perfectly normal for any boss to hire some people, then when he realises they haven't quite worked out in the way they hoped, or they cant quite do the job they were brought in to do,  then the boss fires them or they let them go.

In the real world it's maybe called a trial or a probation period. In football they get fixed term contracts so can't just be booted out if they're a bad egg or a rotten apple.

It's really weird for me this concept of looking to blame a manager for moving players on just because he's asked them to do something and they haven't done or can't do what he asked.

I'll mention by the way that is isn't blindly defending our manager, it;s just making a normal natural point.

I tend to think an average manager doesn't have enough time to continually make poor investments. With the amount of money being spent on scouting, and the fact that the fundamental aspects and rules of football don't become different as soon as someone moves to another club, you'd expect players to at least be given a proper opportunity to achieve the level of performance that a scout would've predicted.

I tend to think an average manager doesn't have enough time to continually make poor investments. With the amount of money being spent on scouting, and the fact that the fundamental aspects and rules of football don't become different as soon as someone moves to another club, you'd expect players to at least be given a proper opportunity to achieve the level of performance that a scout would've predicted.

Don't you think that those players still have to earn their call-up to the team by showing what they can do in training? Sometimes it can be things outside of football that can affect a players performance. By that I mean the potential emotional upheaval of moving to a different area away from home and family or wife not settling in an area. Football is littered with big money signings who have not fitted in.

Archived