clough blames the quality of the opposition

sideshowbob

How can he blame the quality of the oppositon and not his negativity for the late goal conceded against Blackburn?

However you look at it, defending with 30+ mins remaining is feckin negative!!!!

And especially when at home on the 1st day of the season!

If he thinks Blackburn are tough, well so are most of the teams in this tight league, some of whom will be even better.

Considering we have had an 'exciting transfer window', we have 'the players we want' and 'we are pushing for the top six', complaining about the opposition being too good is sh1te.

(Didnt he say they had too many ex prem players last season?)

Pushing for top six?

Not with Non League Negative Nige!!!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first day thoughts...

Most games went the way you would expect.

We will lose 2-0 tomorrow and finish 14th at the end of the season.

We are not really any better off now than 5 years ago, apart from finances which quite frankly I do not give 2 hoots about.

Well we are one point better off than you thought, what are you moaning about, surely you should be saying Clough did better than you thought???

Blackburns strike force can't be used as an excuse forever kid.

How much did Yeovils cost? How much did Oldhams defence cost in total yesterday against a million pound plus striker - in which we only managed one mesley goal?

See, means nothing.

Blackburns strike force can't be used as an excuse forever kid.

How much did Yeovils cost? How much did Oldhams defence cost in total yesterday against a million pound plus striker - in which we only managed one mesley goal?

See, means nothing.

We won when we were expected to and we drew when we did not know what to expect = good start

I agree about tactics, it was tough to watch as we sat back NC made an error, but, we have some new players and yet to find our best side/form i believe, so, 1-1 isnt as bad as it seems, lets see where we are at xmas...... before we cast judgement on the whole season.

They're not WORTH £11m just cos some idiots decided to pay that much.

I am just looking at the facts.

Blackburn:

There two centre backs played in the Premier League one of which cost £6 million and probably has looked it in the Championship. Rochina also played in Premier League and Barcelona B, left back won League 1 last season and Rhodes has scored over 100 league goals in the last 4 seasons. Josh King, Norwegian international and has also scored for them. Jason Lowe, Ex premier League and regular England u21 international . Alan Judge, one of the best players in League 1 last season and Kane, Chelsea player.

Derby:

Lee Grant established Championship goalkeeper. Back four, Freeman inexperienced defender with potential. Keogh, Ireland international. Buxton, former Burton Albion centre back in the Conference. Craig Forsyth, let go by Watford. Coutts, no Premier league experience and has been relegated from Championship twice. Hendrick, Academy graduate Ireland international, great potential. Hughes, Academy graduate, genuine star quality but still inexperienced. Bryson, could not make the grade with Derby when he was younger, needed to climb the ranks in Scotland, fee of 350k. Ward, could not make the grade at Villa and got rid of by Villa and Sheff United and only us that got him out of a bad place, been brilliant since. Martin, Could not make the grade at Norwich and got released but a player with potential. Russell, genuine goal scorer who did not cost over £1 million.

Tell me that they do not have quality in their team compared to us.

No worries - to reinforce my point by your logic Conor Sammon is a better player than Roque Santa Cruz as Sammon cost anywhere up to 1.5 million and Cruz left Man City on a free this summer

Your saying it like Man City didn't pay nearly £20 million for him a few years back. Ridiculous statement.

Im saying that whatever someone paid now for something is not a measure of its worth later - I can pay 50 grand for shares today and in 10 years time they can be worth half that, ditto the price of a house, ditto any investment. Is no good saying well I paid 50 grand for them 10 years ago so they must be worth 50 grand now, it depends totally on the state of the market when I bought them  - the market may have been totally over inflated when Blackburn paid that sum of money for their 2 strikers, it doesnt mean they are WORTH that though.

On a related point I do agree Blackburn do have some better quality players than us, regardless of their price tags -some but not all by the way

Im saying that whatever someone paid now for something is not a measure of its worth later - I can pay 50 grand for shares today and in 10 years time they can be worth half that, ditto the price of a house, ditto any investment. Is no good saying well I paid 50 grand for them 10 years ago so they must be worth 50 grand now, it depends totally on the state of the market when I bought them  - the market may have been totally over inflated when Blackburn paid that sum of money for their 2 strikers, it doesnt mean they are WORTH that though.

On a related point I do agree Blackburn do have some better quality players than us, regardless of their price tags -some but not all by the way

Maybe I got the words wrong but it does not take away the fact that they paid that and which means they must be quality players. I agree that not all their players are better than ours but most of them are more experienced and have more football knowhow and quality about them.

Hughes  Blackburn post match interview says so much. He was incredibly frustrated and quite rightly so. A defensive midfielder is only needed in a select few matches, probably 5-7 away game starts and as a late sub in another 5-7. I want to see Hughes, Bryson and Hendrick start and finish as many games as possible. They are our driving force. 

Blackburn currently losing to Carlisle.

BCO

Talking about repetitives post with no contribution to the thread, what has happen to our Mexico freind?

I like how we have a good squad. A top 6 squad. The best squad since Nigel took over. An exciting squad. Nigel's signings can be talked up and praised against those who criticise. Their qualities lorded up and they can be spoken about as good players. Until Nigel says the oppo had better quality players, then their faults can be listed in abundance and we can highlight their failings and lack of experience. As long as we tow the party line and agree with Nigel then all is well.

I agree about tactics, it was tough to watch as we sat back NC made an error, but, we have some new players and yet to find our best side/form i believe, so, 1-1 isnt as bad as it seems, lets see where we are at xmas...... before we cast judgement on the whole season.

You saying we judge the whole season at Christmas?

Archived