clough blames the quality of the opposition

sideshowbob

The reason people cannot see it is because its nonsense. We did this several times during Clough's time here.

We were a threat (as were Blackburn) until the manager moved Russell out wide-right. then we were neutralised as an attacking force, but less effective defensively as we were bunched together and not spread out. Pulling our players backwards is a naive tactic and has NEVER worked effectively as sides can simply pass it past our midfield. The tactic of having all players in the box on defensive corners and freekicks is stupid too, I saw a hoof clearance come straight back as nobody was anywhere near the halfway line for Derby.

you may think this is a good idea, I would suggest there's never been a team in the history of the game that has been successful playing this way.

When do you believe our best part of the game was?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bris is sound you know really.

Different culture and philosophy and he's detached.

He doesn't give out abuse tbf for a guy that gets into some corners.

He does praise Derby. He did during our 4231 period. Obviously we know he loved the Burley era. Lets be honest, who didnt?

I've mentioned it before, i know he annoys everyone with his Spanish and Mexican stuff but he's probably the most realistic Derby fan on here, yes he comes across as anti Derby and sometimes even neutral but sometimes it helps to get the message across when we're all blinkered (like myself)

I reluctantly agree with most of the things he comes out with and I can only put that down to him wanting the best for Derby?

Unlessssss...... he's waiting until November when forest are way above us :lol:

I'm not gonna repeat myself anymore

I just don't see that many players in the Blackburn team, I'd want in the Derby team Dann, Rhodes and Rochina, anyone else, forget it. The quality point is all relative.

The top 6 was more of a general thing as people thought they'd make the top 6 last season after the cup game.

Being someone who has played the game, it is not a game where you drop back deliberately. We moved 5 in midfield. Right move considering there midfield was on top. Due to it being late in the game and our legs tiring, then we would probably need to drop back because if we do, Blackburn will pick up space in the gaps and we will not be able to track them. However, as Blackburn had a lot of space at the back, it meant that they could play long balls meaning that our defence would have to drop deep so that the ball does not go in behind which means that the whole team would have to drop deep in order for the ball not to drop to a red shirt. Due to them having quick strikers and midfielders ,it means that the team has to drop as we are not as quick. As the team are deep means there are no options up front and we have to clear which means the ball goes back to them and in the end it was unlucky for us that their lad has scored a beauty.

So frustrating that people cannot see this.

I agree with a lot of what you have said in this thread. However, fact is we took our most likely goal scorer and the best player on the pitch off. We went from being very comfortable to under pressure as a direct result and lost 2 points as a consequence.

I am a big Clough fan but he got it wrong on Saturday. We were the team on top until his changes.

But, one game doesn't define a season, there were plenty of positives, I expect us to kick on and with some favourable bits of luck even sneak the last play off spot.

I think the point is that it is sour grapes blaming the outcome of a result on the so called superior cost of the opposition players relative to yours - I seem to remember Clough rolled this one out last season again also against Blackburn when he lamented Danny Murphy wages were more than the entire Derby team (or to that effect) hence why we lost the midfield battle and therefore the game. 

I just don't see that many players in the Blackburn team, I'd want in the Derby team Dann, Rhodes and Rochina, anyone else, forget it. The quality point is all relative.

The top 6 was more of a general thing as people thought they'd make the top 6 last season after the cup game.

I don't think any of our players would be able to produce a finish like Best did. Hanley was also class. Spurr outshone Forsyth in my opinion as well.

I think the point is that it is sour grapes blaming the outcome of a result on the so called superior cost of the opposition players relative to yours - I seem to remember Clough rolled this one out last season again also against Blackburn when he lamented Danny Murphy wages were more than the entire Derby team (or to that effect) hence why we lost the midfield battle and therefore the game. 

SOUR GRAPES !? WE DREW

I don't think any of our players would be able to produce a finish like Best did. Hanley was also class. Spurr outshone Forsyth in my opinion as well.

Probably, but I wouldn't actively get Best, Spurr, Hanley etc all seem solid CCC players, like a lot of our squad bar Hughes.

Best is a crock and has a pretty poor scoring record, haven't seen enough of Russell or a fully match fit Martin, a player I rate.

Spurr seems pretty solid, maybe in improvment for Forsyth but wouldn't make a massive difference to the team.

Don't know much about Hanley.

From half and hour to the hour mark then. The moment when Russell went on the wing to the moment Russell come off so therefore it was not the wrong decision.

Not at all, for the first half we were positive and in possession, even if we didn't threaten the goal other than some long shots. Our players were spread out, and our possession was effective. When we occasionally surrendered the ball, Blackburn showed they were a threat, but seemingly only through Rochina. Rochina's injury should've been our advantage, being replaced by a striker returning from injury, with no pace and on a lengthy goal drought. Possession is key at this level. 

Moving Russell in itself was not the bad decision, the collective of replacing him, Martin and Hughes AND surrendering possession and dropping back a sixth of the pitch was the wrong collective decision.

I agree with a lot of what you have said in this thread. However, fact is we took our most likely goal scorer and the best player on the pitch off. We went from being very comfortable to under pressure as a direct result and lost 2 points as a consequence.

I am a big Clough fan but he got it wrong on Saturday. We were the team on top until his changes.

But, one game doesn't define a season, there were plenty of positives, I expect us to kick on and with some favourable bits of luck even sneak the last play off

First game of the season so we did not want to burn the players out. Russell looked shattered and Hughes began to lose the ball a bit more so in that case it was the right decision. But you are right about one game of the season.

I appreciate that did not you talk to me like an idiot who is talking rubbish like some other people have.

SOUR GRAPES !? WE DREW

Was a generalisation. Clough has used the excuse in the past - see my previous post. It's a non-excuse in my opinion. As a matter of etiquette its poor form to post in capitals as it can come across as patronising or agressive which am sure you werent meaning to be.

None of our players would have had the chance as the opposition wouldn't had a pedestrian Eustace standing static whilst the ball floats past at hip height.

It was an average finish, but I would suggest Hendrick, Bryson, Keogh, Ward, Coutts, Russell, Martin, Hughes, Jacobs, Ben Davies and maybe even Sammon have the technical ability to produce a knee high volley and could've scored it.

Not at all, for the first half we were positive and in possession, even if we didn't threaten the goal other than some long shots. Our players were spread out, and our possession was effective. When we occasionally surrendered the ball, Blackburn showed they were a threat, but seemingly only through Rochina. Rochina's injury should've been our advantage, being replaced by a striker returning from injury, with no pace and on a lengthy goal drought. Possession is key at this level. 

Moving Russell in itself was not the bad decision, the collective of replacing him, Martin and Hughes AND surrendering possession and dropping back a sixth of the pitch was the wrong collective decision.

I think we should just agree to disagree because we are going nowhere with this but I understand where you are coming from in some ways.

I think we should just agree to disagree because we are going nowhere with this but I understand where you are coming from in some ways.

That's fair enough, I can understand why you don't won't people to get carried away after just one game, but for me, this is something I've been pointing out and whingeing about for about 3 years. I detest the tactic of pulling ALL players back for set-pieces as it gives the opponent the challenge to test their attacking skill. I remember when Crawley beat us in the FA cup and their manager, that horrid bloke, saying that it's so predictable and easy to attack against us (in so many words).

I just really believe that difference between success and stagnation (not failure) is simply being positive and trying to win.

Was a generalisation. Clough has used the excuse in the past - see my previous post. It's a non-excuse in my opinion. As a matter of etiquette its poor form to post in capitals as it can come across as patronising or agressive which am sure you werent meaning to be.

Not even going to be comment on this.

That's fair enough, I can understand why you don't won't people to get carried away after just one game, but for me, this is something I've been pointing out and whingeing about for about 3 years. I detest the tactic of pulling ALL players back for set-pieces as it gives the opponent the challenge to test their attacking skill. I remember when Crawley beat us in the FA cup and their manager, that horrid bloke, saying that it's so predictable and easy to attack against us (in so many words).

I just really believe that difference between success and stagnation (not failure) is simply being positive and trying to win.

I remember that night well and I don't believe we even had the players to play deep even if we tried. Awful night.

Archived