Gadget help/advice

Mostyn6

A few months ago, I treated myself to one of the Google Nexus 7 tablets.

It was a bit of an impulse buy, I didn't really know what to do with it.

I'm due to go on holiday on the 30th and will take it with me. I've done the usual stuff on it, loaded it up with music and social networking nonsense, but I've not quite mastered, or even attempted to upload movies etc to it.

I've recently installed an emulator or two but haven't played much with it as yet.

As anyone else got one of these? Is there anything I must definitely install?

I'm open to your wisdom, knowledge and experience.

ps. Daveo, sorry, I couldn't afford an iPad. I have an iPhone 5 though, so please accept me!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Nexus 7 is a great device to take on holiday, here's my 3 top tips...

1. If you go to the beach with food in a carrier bag, place the Nexus on top of the bag to keep sand out. You don't want sand in your sandwiches.

2. If you've made it down to the pool and found a lovely spot, forgot your sunglasses and don't want to lose your place to the Germans use the Nexus to shield your eyes from the sun until the Germans are asleep.

3. You're walking down to the local bar for a few swift ones, you spot a timeshare tw@t heading straight for you, quickly hold it up to your ear and pretend you're on the phone and shout into it.

If you like Apple stuff you should be thanking Google, If you take out features found on android before ios then from the last few updates your left with what? Apple maps?

As for the movies question, if you have them already on a device it's drag and drop the same as the music, otherwise you can get them from the play store or if you have the DVD you can rip it.

I don't load movies myself though so there could be better options.

If you're into newspapers the Daily Mirror is free Mon-Fri (on iPad as well btw), same as the paper copy you buy from the newsagent but free which is pretty awesome even tho it is a crap paper. Not sure how downloads will work abroad mind you but still thought it would be worth a mention.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.mediaspectrum.dailymirror5androidreplica

Daveo, the whole point is, as justified in this post, I watched a few mates buy iPads and do nothing different to what I can do on my iPhone. So the cost justification isn't there. I just cannot see myself getting enough usage out of it to justify paying the extra.

Should I develop my usage skills on the nexus 7 and then decide it's not good enough, I would be able to then justify paying the money for apple products, but at the moment, I can't.

See if you can download the utorrents app on it.

On my Samsung Galaxy tab I've got utorrents so can just download anything on to it, which I never really do to be honest, but downloaded the film Safe House in about 5 minutes, perfect copy as well. 

Daveo, the whole point is, as justified in this post, I watched a few mates buy iPads and do nothing different to what I can do on my iPhone. So the cost justification isn't there. I just cannot see myself getting enough usage out of it to justify paying the extra.

Should I develop my usage skills on the nexus 7 and then decide it's not good enough, I would be able to then justify paying the money for apple products, but at the moment, I can't.

You're right, I've got both and they are exactly the same and the Google Play store is improving now and most apps can be found on both. Opening post just had to be done tho! Didn't intend to start a Android v Apple debate, hopefully my other posts may be of some use

If you've bought DVD/Blu Rays and it comes with a free UV copy, create a UV account and download Flixster and link them, that will let you stream or download the films you have. Finally did it myself last night, now to go through all my DVDs and redeem the codes.

Archived