Where would you rate our squad on ability?

Smyth_18

Fine margins? We only won 16 games last season... And we lost 17.. We won only 4 away games all season..

The 3 players we didn't have for a full season? Who are you talking about here?

If you're talkiing about Martin and Forsyth they barely made any difference..Martin joined us on the 21st of February. Our record since he joined was W5 D3 L6.. And the goalkeeper alone will make a huge difference? How do you know? It was this time last year that we signed a future England number 1 according to some on here..

Other than Lego I think I'd be correct in saying that all of our GK's have actually gotten worse under Clough.. I certainly don't think Grant is actually any better than an average/good NPC GK and I don't think he'll particularly improve us greatly in that area..

We played well in patches last year but we also played poor in other games.. The games like Leicester and Blackpool away we literally could have conceded 8 in each..

By fine margins I meant drawing away at Cardiff when we smashed them. Losing at home to Ipswich when we smashed them, losing at home to palace when we smashed them as well.

The players I was talking about were Hughes, Forsyth and Martin, I didn't include grant cos he's a brand new player, we didn't have him at all last year.

It's not even your views I mind so much, it's the sheer amount of time and effort you consistently put into proving how crap we are.

I'm enjoying the pre-season before we get started again, I'm excited by the players we've got and I genuinely,100% do not rate the way you judge your football anyway. If you were in a pub I'd stop listening after 30 seconds.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Current Ability - nothing to do with potential

Grant - Good Championship GK

Brayford - Quality Championship RB

Keogh - Good Championship CB

Buxton - Below Par Championship CB

Forsyth - Below Par Championship CB

Hughes - Good Championship CM

Hendrick - Good Championship CM 

Bryson - Good Championship CM

Russell - ???

Sammon - Poor Championship ST

Ward - Quality Championship ST    (however injury record reduces him to an average Championship striker in my opinion)

Martin - Average

Deeney - Very Poor Championship player

Jacobs - Below Par Championship winger

Davies - Average Championship Wide Midfielder

Freeman - Average Championship Full Back

Gjokak - Poor Championship CB

Coutts - Average Championship player

Terrible, just terrible ratings. First up:

Forsyth - Below Par Championship CB

That's either a very cheeky tactic, or you are confused about his position. He's a wide midfielder who also plays at fullback, where he played for us. Using a similar tactic:

Cristiano Ronaldo - Below Championship standard keeper

Lionel Messi - Below Ashes standard Cricketer

David Villa - Not proven in the Championship striker

Glenn McGrath - Below average grade level Batsman

Also, how on Earth is Buxton "below par", he has done as asked since arriving at the club, and is at worse an average Championship defender. The same can be said for Sammon, who as far as striker go, has been a damn site better than even "average" at this level. On goals and assists alone he was certainly above average, and that's before taking into account other contributions.

Overall the rest seem fair, but you did word it quite harshly.

That's either a very cheeky tactic, or you are confused about his position. He's a wide midfielder who also plays at fullback, where he played for us. Using a similar tactic:

Also, how on Earth is Buxton "below par", he has done as asked since arriving at the club, and is at worse an average Championship defender. The same can be said for Sammon, who as far as striker go, has been a damn site better than even "average" at this level. On goals and assists alone he was certainly above average, and that's before taking into account other contributions.

:lol:  love it.

haha - or could it be that Shabash did a typo on CB/LB for Fortsyth...?

What size are you feet Albert? 9?

Sorry for the confusion I know Forsyth is a left back. Typo. I agree he would be awful in the wrong position as you kindly pointed out with your examples.

However I stand by my rating Forsyth is below par for the division in my opinion.

Same for Bucko I think he is a steady CB player but not as good as the division average.

I think your judgement of Buxton perhaps fails to stick to your own rules of judging players on current ability alone, not taking into account past form or future potential.

When he first came he was definitely below the standard required, his partnership with Addison was terrifyingly bad at times. He ran funny, looked uncomfortable on the ball, consistently took himself out of position in his attempts to win the ball and more often than not lost out and got turned, mistimed headers, you name it he did it.

People should forget that Jake Buxton completely.

Jake Buxton of 2012/13 was nothing like that player, he's looked composed and competent, confident in possession, and I genuinely believe he is now a good enough to get in at least the first 18 of most clubs in the division, and would (having seen the standard of defending in this league) be an asset / in the starting line-up for at least one third of them.

Archived