End of Season Awards

-JW-

He needs time, not just games... Doesn't matter whether you're playing every game or no games players need days/weeks/months to improve... So my main gripe with the Sammon-bashers is that they have given people like Theo that time but haven't afforded Sammon the same luxury...

£1.2 million is peanuts... If Mackail-Smith costs £2+ million then that is the going rate for perfectly average strikers... Anything below that is a bargain... (and please don't quote Adam LeFondre or someone like that... Yes, occasionally people get lucky and pick up a goalscorer for next to nothing... but it's the exception rather than the rule...)

"We know he can find the back of the net" and "we know he can score goals" are not "He's gonna score more than Messi this season" - He HAS found the back of the net and he HAS scored goals... There were also plenty of quotes from Nigel stating that he WASN'T going to be a 20 goal a season striker...

You're attempting to defend the indefensible I'm afraid

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be fair.

Smoking only stunts your growth, whereas living in Leeds stunts your brain.

I only worked in Leeds, going to the same school as boycie is the real reason I'm not so clever ;-(

He has had a season, that's a third of his contract, it's not like he has come from brazil or somewhere? What does he need over a year for, to get used to the language barrier ? Climate change ?

As for this quote, was it before we signed him or after, I've looked for it and can't find it, and given he is not even a 10 goal a season striker is 1.2m still a bargain?

Generally it'll take a player who hasn't had a pre-season with the team time to adjust to playing with the team...

And I wouldn't call him a bargain, but it's no rip-off... Just about the going rate for a championship striker...

I support Clough for both the overall job he's doing, given the budget at his disposal, and his transfer record considering where he has to shop (lower leagues, Scotland, free transfers and the unproven / young). But I struggle to defend Sammon.

Let's hope he improves next season.

I support Clough for both the overall job he's doing, given the budget at his disposal, and his transfer record considering where he has to shop (lower leagues, Scotland, free transfers and the unproven / young). But I struggle to defend Sammon.

Let's hope he improves next season.

It's easy for me - an integral part of our team, without question one of our most important players.

Which kind of sums up why we aren't any better than we are.

You can't ever be better than you are... If we improve next season we'll still be equally as good as we are...

Do you mean we're not as good as you'd like us to be...

You can't ever be better than you are... If we improve next season we'll still be equally as good as we are...

Do you mean we're not as good as you'd like us to be...

What are you trying, and failing, to be going on about?

Playing Sammon week in, week out, is a reason why it is not possible for us to be a better team than we currently are.

I think Sammon will come good next year. 15 goals. Have some faith, the Posh performance and Millwall cameo should give us belief that his effort and physical impact can be matched with goals and influence.

Archived