Derby County v Peterborough United

CumbrianRam

Same game as yourself. We created a lot of chances and dominated throughout but the football wasn't pretty. It was mainly played up field in the air...

All three goals came from passing on the ground - quick movement and crosses or set pieces.

The only hoofing occurrd when we went down to ten men - testament to how well Sammon played in that I didn't get worried we'd concede

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All three goals came from passing on the ground - quick movement and crosses or set pieces.

The only hoofing occurrd when we went down to ten men - testament to how well Sammon played in that I didn't get worried we'd concede

What?? No way did it! We hoofed the whole game. I'm not saying there weren't any spells when we passed it along the ground, there were, but the back four hoofed it constantly and Fielding kicked it long every chance he got. Seriously watch the full 90 when its back on and tell me again we only hoofed it only when we were down to 10.

I thought everybody played well i thought it was going to be easier than it was against a team who have not lost in 10 until Frank got sent off.  

Keogh scored does that give him a bonus point.

Its all about opinions even Toddy and Roy Mac didnt always get in the England team at the expense of say Norman Hunter.

Remember Poland stopping England qualifying for World cup when Roy Mac and Hunter were left floundering.

What was that goalkeepers name again  Jan Tomaszwewski   .

Think  Brian Clough said he was a clown.  

Just goes to show its about opinions.   

everyone did play well apart from Keogh. Luckily the rest of the back 4 covered for him. And no scoring in my book doesn't give you a bonus point. Sammon was miles better than Martin but Martin scored and Sammon didn't.

Btw are you asking if I remember the England Poland thing? Because I definitely didn't.

There's one thing that Keogh did way back in the cup loss to Blackburn that really sticks in my mind....

Blackburn cleared the ball, high and long, towards the middle of our half, where Keogh was stood under no presssure.

Keogh had about 3 seconds to see the flight of the ball, the positioning of the players, everything, and had 2 options:

The first was to head the ball to his right where we had another couple of players free and ready to receive the ball.

His second option was to head the ball to his left, where we had one player being closed down by 2 Blackburn midfielders

...what he did was position his body facing to his right, and head it to the left. Needless to say, we lost the ball.

It IS a bloody good job he's scored a few goals!

From a posh point of view:

Published on 21/04/2013 08:34

CHAMPIONSHIP REPORT: Derby 3, Posh 1. Darren Ferguson delivered a masterclass in stating the obvious after this dismal Posh display at Pride Park yesterday (April 20).

The manager confirmed that Posh were poor, Derby were excellent, if Posh play like this in their last two matches they will undoubtedly be relegated and Derby striker Conor Sammon terrorised a Posh defence that went into the game having conceded just six goals in their previous eight matches.

Fergsuon admitted that his team selection didn’t work, most noticably playing midfielders with far less composure, experience and passing ability than Grant McCann, but he insisted a place outside the relegation zone with two matches to go after losing 16 of the first 21 games is a situation that anyone daring to predict in December would have seen them drowned out by laughter and derision.

There was plenty of derision on display at Derby yesterday anyway. Heat-of-the-moment stuff as almost 1,800 Posh fans probably couldn’t believe they were watching their team, one that hadn’t lost for 10 games, unravel before their eyes.

Don’t be fooled by the final scoreline. Derby could well have won this by a landslide if they hadn’t lost goalkeeper Frank Fielding to a red card just after the hour mark for upending Dwight Gayle in the penalty area.

The home side were 3-0 up and looking set for more goals, but after McCann, who had wisely been sent on at half-time alongside Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, slotted home the spot-kick, circumstances demanded a more circumspect approach for the rest of the game and Derby settled for defending their lead in comfort against a toothless Posh attack.

Ferguson had little Alex Pritchard waiting to come on before the penalty was awarded. He might have changed his mind and sent Tyrone Barnett on to offer some support to Gayle as the team’s short-passing game hadn’t been working and it didn’t work against 10-men either.

The manager has won the right to be stubborn in his thinking, but Posh were sure to have more possession playing against 10 men and testing a defence aerially is always an option for a team struggling for form. The only chance Posh created in the final half an hour came from a cross that was headed out straight to Lee Tomlin who shot wide from the edge of the penalty area.

Tomlin cut a frustrating figure throughout the game (he doesn’t hide frustration awfully well) and he wasn’t alone. One can only guess what Gayle is thinking as he makes run after run that goes unrewarded, or worse, often goes unnoticed.

The team’s most potent goal threat dined on scraps for 90 minutes and yet sill managed to deliver the only shot at Derby’s goal in the opening 45 minutes. He also won the penalty and saw a ‘goal’ chalked off by a tight offside decision towards the end to confirm the view that he would be a one-man defensive wrecking crew if served more consistently.

In this game he was over-shadowed by a man with probably less than half his natural ability. Sammon rarely scores, but his hard-running and physical approach completely unsettled the Posh back four, including the team’s iron man Gaby Zakuani who watched the second-half with a definite dead leg and possibly some wounded pride.

It was Sammon’s strong run that created Derby’s opening goal for Craig Bryson in the 41st minute of a half played out completely in the Posh half. The corner count in the 47-minute first period was 16-1 in the home side’s favour as Derby pressed high up the pitch winning every 50/50 and even some 40/60s against a Posh midfield that tackled feebly and passed the ball atrociously.

The Posh half-time substitutions briefly threatened hope. Very briefly in fact as Derby scored in the 49th and 51st minutes through Chris Martin and Richard Keogh (from corner number 18) to render a red card and a goal from a penalty irrelevant apart from in goal-difference terms.

Sammon was denied the goal he deserved in injury time by a smart Bobby Olejnik save, but a 3-1 final scoreline was very flattering for Posh. Their former player Paul Coutts, a constant menace down the right flank, had struck a post with a cross in the opening minute.

At least the result has simplified the relegation equation for Posh. Anything other than a win against Sheffield Wednesday in the final home match of the season next Saturday (April 27) is likely to prove disastrous so the news that Mark Little might make a surprise retrun to action was a highlight of an otherwise subdued post-match press conference.

Posh have missed Little’s dash down the right wing. Ferguson might also consider restoring Tommy Rowe to the left-back position as his ability to attack from deep positions has proven to be far greater than his ability to influence a match from an over-populated midfield area.

Sometimes, you need an away perspective to bring it home to some folk that they are not watching the same game as others. The problem with some is that they are ALWAYS looking for the negatives - and a fair selection of the posts this week have been from just that perspective. Even the opposition manager described Derby's performance as 'brilliant', but of course there are going to be those who will look upon that as 'making excuses for his own side's inept performance'.

Sometimes, you need an away perspective to bring it home to some folk that they are not watching the same game as others. The problem with some is that they are ALWAYS looking for the negatives - and a fair selection of the posts this week have been from just that perspective. Even the opposition manager described Derby's performance as 'brilliant', but of course there are going to be those who will look upon that as 'making excuses for his own side's inept performance'.

I can't make too many games but I was there yesterday. I couldn't decide whether to  laugh or cry at the ironic cheers that came Sammon's way from some people near me when he won headers early on. Eventually, those concerned realised that they were making themselves look very silly and they stopped but not before pointing out that he didn't usually play so well. His contribution for the first goal was met with silence. I felt that they were willing him to do badly to justify their stance. Great supporters.

There were some good things about our attacking performance as far as I'm concerned. I didn't see too many shots on our goal from Peterborough despite Keogh's alleged awful efforts. I suppose some people must always have someone to criticise. That's where they get their kicks.

I guess I'm just not a perfectionist - more a realist. In my real world, Sammon and Bryson caught the eye in a pretty good all round performance [for 60 minutes] from a mid table team.

I can't make too many games but I was there yesterday. I couldn't decide whether to  laugh or cry at the ironic cheers that came Sammon's way from some people near me when he won headers early on. Eventually, those concerned realised that they were making themselves look very silly and they stopped but not before pointing out that he didn't usually play so well. His contribution for the first goal was met with silence. I felt that they were willing him to do badly to justify their stance. Great supporters.

There were some good things about our attacking performance as far as I'm concerned. I didn't see too many shots on our goal from Peterborough despite Keogh's alleged awful efforts. I suppose some people must always have someone to criticise. That's where they get their kicks.

I guess I'm just not a perfectionist - more a realist. In my real world, Sammon and Bryson caught the eye in a pretty good all round performance [for 60 minutes] from a mid table team.

We are blessed with more than our fair share of dullards, I'm afraid. Whereas most birds fly South for the winter, our boobies fly South-East for Saturday.

I don't really understand all the criticism of Keogh, I thought he was ok. He put in an average performance maybe but fortunately that was all that was needed. I didnt hear it myself but I was told that he was Roger Davies' man of the match on radio Derby. It's all a matter of opinion I suppose.

I don't really understand all the criticism of Keogh, I thought he was ok. He put in an average performance maybe but fortunately that was all that was needed. I didnt hear it myself but I was told that he was Roger Davies' man of the match on radio Derby. It's all a matter of opinion I suppose.

He didn't get punished for his mistakes, but he made some howling decisions.

Dwight Gayle had his pants down with his movement in fairness - would love us to sign him, but think he'll have a line of clubs after him! 

Archived