Barnsley v Derby County

Ambitious

We played better in the first half I reckon, with a few more chances on goal. Barnsley came out scrapping 2nd half and had one or two spells which left you wondering how long it would be before they got 2.

Not at all convincing, but Mason I thought did really well, plys he had to deal with a few hoof balls.

Martin - imo - just didn't seem up for the scrap like they were; it looked like he didn't want it enough. If he wants to stay, he's got to start playing well and show some bloody commitment.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My bro-inlaw is a Tyke and he was there tonight agrees with Nigel.

We were the better side for the first half and the majority of the second half

he thought we should have had 2 or 3 by half time -- Handrick should have scored.

The beauty of football, opinions! We had chances yes, but general play and passing was so poor! This is probably the most annoyed I have been post game all season. Sorry but in my opinion very disapointing performance. Mason Bennett excluded as he looked a threat and dangerous throughout

Second half was dire.  We should've been 2 up at HT and as usual were punished for not killing the game.  Truth of the matter is that we don't have the quality to finish poor sides like Barnsley off.  In the end, surprised to get a point - and relieved.

I'll always take a point away from home before kick-off. And for those who were expecting us to win just because they lost 6-0 last week should know better. It's the Championship, every game is different.

Plus, that point's kept us out of real relegation danger. It would take something disastrous for us to go down now.

Sorry mate, without trying to be condescending, either your maths isn't upto scratch or you have a poor attitude to NPC football..

To say you need roughly 74 points to make the playoffs, a draw in every away game is only 23 points..

Meaning just to make the playoffs, or the average, another 51 points is needed... 51! That's 17 home wins out of 23, a feat no team in the NPC has.. No one actually has a record close to that, even table toppers Cardiff have only won 15 at home.. And that's to make the playoffs, for top 2, usually 80 points is required.. Meaning winning 57 points from home, 19 home wins.. Very doubtful.

We, or any NPC side for that matter, should be aiming to win everygame because there isn't one decent side in this league

We should have been a couple of goals up at HT, Coutts and Hendrick the obvious 2 for me for being guilty of wasting good chances. Despite us having a couple of chances more I thought we lacked any sort of game plan and relied heavily on Mason's pace behind the Barnsley back 4, caused the plenty of problems but they soon caught on. 

Second half was absolute dross. How is their man unmarked 5 yards out? 

I don't recall any meaningful shot at their goal either which is pretty shocking, we were so clueless it was cringeworthy. If you didn't know which team was which you'd have put your mortgage on us being the team in 23rd. Never seen so much hopeless hoofing from every single player.

I really hope we don't sign Forsyth, he's no improvement on Roberts apart from aerial ability and thats not enough got me. Roberts has more pace and he's 68!!! Clueless in possession, the main culprit for hopeless punts up field.  If we want to seriously push on we need to do better. 

Same can be said for Martin, started off brightly but now he's so ineffective. Would like us to look at better. 

Got a massive slice of luck to earn us a point, probably a deserved point if you look at the whole 90 minutes, but I'd be gutted if I were a Barnsley fan. 

Our striking options are pitiful, as well as the players themselves being poor to average too. We have no quality in the box whatsoever. None of them seem capable of being in the right place in the right time, everything falls to our midfielders or defenders! 

Our last attack summed it up, Bavies nicked the ball near the corner flag and was running in towards goal, a good striker would find a position for a cut back, Sammon just ran in with the 3 Barnsley defenders and gave Bavies no option but to smash it in and hope it came off someone. Abit of quality there and we could have nicked it. 

As you can probably tell, I'm far from impressed with what I saw tonight. One of the worst 45 minutes of football from us in a while. I thought this squad wouldn't need massive changed but I'm not so sure, unless we want another season like this. 

Anyway, it sounded to me like a game we should of won - just like it sounded like we should have won against Blackburn... and Ipswich, and Wolves, and Burnley....etc

The amount of games, where we've said - well we've played well and should of probably won the game this season, would have us top of the league on about 90 points  :lol:

I paid tentative attention to the game, but just seemed like we battered them first half and they went 1-0, similar to the blackburn game on saturday. We are obviously set up correctly, but why our players seem unable in their final product a lot of the time is beyond me. 

9 points left, in 3 win-able games... If we finish on anything less than 60 points this season, I will be disappointed but this season has gone, I'm just hoping.. no, praying.. that next season is going to be evidently better, starting with a promising summer month. 

I can't help but think, for Rush and the board next season the goal should be concise and clear... top 6 minimum, but, even I think that's unfair without throwing some money at it. 

What happened to derby fans sticking together on the road, my mate who is 16 was assaulted by a group of Barnsley fans, whilst derby fans watched on.

Then he was attacked by a fellow derby fan in the sheffield train station, because the guy who must have been at least 2 years older disagreed with our convo about clough.

This is ridiculous! Makes me ashamed of our fans

No offence like mate but what were you doing whilst your mate was getting jumped ?

I had a weird incident in Barnsley a few years back, 4 of us walking from the station to the ground bumped into around 10 Barnsley, they approached us and offered us a little brawl, we politely declined and they moved on with a smile and a pat on the back, fair play to them.  

Sorry mate, without trying to be condescending, either your maths isn't upto scratch or you have a poor attitude to NPC football..

To say you need roughly 74 points to make the playoffs, a draw in every away game is only 23 points..

Meaning just to make the playoffs, or the average, another 51 points is needed... 51! That's 17 home wins out of 23, a feat no team in the NPC has.. No one actually has a record close to that, even table toppers Cardiff have only won 15 at home.. And that's to make the playoffs, for top 2, usually 80 points is required.. Meaning winning 57 points from home, 19 home wins.. Very doubtful.

We, or any NPC side for that matter, should be aiming to win everygame because there isn't one decent side in this league

Who said I was aiming for play-offs?

And this is entirely based off of Derby, no-one else. My point was I know how bad Derby are away from home and therefore, I would compromise and take a draw.

Who said I was aiming for play-offs?

And this is entirely based off of Derby, no-one else. My point was I know how bad Derby are away from home and therefore, I would compromise and take a draw.

Why wouldn't you aim for the top 6?

What's the point in even being in the NPC if you aren't aiming for the top 6..

That's like buying a lottery ticket aiming to get just 2 numbers..

No offence like mate but what were you doing whilst your mate was getting jumped ?

I had a weird incident in Barnsley a few years back, 4 of us walking from the station to the ground bumped into around 10 Barnsley, they approached us and offered us a little brawl, we politely declined and they moved on with a smile and a pat on the back, fair play to them.

We were just walking minding our own , not wearing colours or anything, and we couldn't get to him cause there must have been 30 of them, and they were coming for us aswell, we got surrounded

What happened to derby fans sticking together on the road, my mate who is 16 was assaulted by a group of Barnsley fans, whilst derby fans watched on.

Then he was attacked by a fellow derby fan in the sheffield train station, because the guy who must have been at least 2 years older disagreed with our convo about clough.

This is ridiculous! Makes me ashamed of our fans

Our away support is shocking now mate. Football is totally secondary, it's all about getting smashed and trying to shout a few decibels louder than the opponents. That's usually drink fuelled, which leads to stuff like this.

Hope your pal is ok.

Why wouldn't you aim for the top 6?

What's the point in even being in the NPC if you aren't aiming for the top 6..

That's like buying a lottery ticket aiming to get just 2 numbers..

Oh for the love of God, you're taking things way out of context.

My point was, with Derby's current away form and play-offs completely out of the question (that's what I meant), I would have taken a point before kick-off.

Why is that so hard to understand? This is based purely on the current situation, not every season.

Oh for the love of God, you're taking things way out of context.

My point was, with Derby's current away form and play-offs completely out of the question (that's what I meant), I would have taken a point before kick-off.

Why is that so hard to understand? This is based purely on the current situation, not every season.

Why is that so hard to understand? Read what you put in your post..

'I'll always take a point before kick-off away from home'

If you had put 'I would have taken a point before kick-off given our current situation and poor away record' then it would have made sense.. But you put always, implying everytime no matter what the situation..

Archived