The Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

sage

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Barnsley get relegated and Frank Fielding leaves (as someone has said is a fact!), Luke Steele would be a really good addition. GK isn't a concern area but I guess we'll need someone if one of them moves on.

seen quite a few Barnsley fans say that he is a fantastic shot stopper, but awful at coming off his line and his kicking is extremely poor. although every time I've seen him he has been their best player, spose they have better educated opinions.

seen quite a few Barnsley fans say that he is a fantastic shot stopper, but awful at coming off his line and his kicking is extremely poor. although every time I've seen him he has been their best player, spose they have better educated opinions.

Never rated him anyway.

:ph34r:

I've been trying to piece together all the various things that have been said about the summer window and I'll go back to something SR said earlier.He talked of the balancing act between trying to reduce losses and running a competitive (top 6) side.The 11/12 result,if it had been in a year when FFP was at its toughest (£2m acceptable deviation +£3m equity injection =£5m allowable losses) I'd guess that they would have had to inject close to £3m equity.We know the loss has been reduced this year,but we don't know by how much.If they seek to get to a situation whereby they're not forced to inject equity when FFP is at its toughest,then there's more work to be done,either by increasing revenues,and/or reducing overheads.

Now let's take the scenario where SR said we were looking to keep our best players (thus no really significant transfer income) and yet still add the quality we need to make top 6.Since then 6 players have been talked about,and in this scenario one would have to guess that most would have to be 'frees'.Whatever the mix,there'd be 6 new lots of wages.So the first question is,if we're aiming for quality/experience,can we ditch sufficient wages to pay the new 6 without extending the wage budget? If this were increased,then this would take the loss in the wrong direction.

If you look at the income side, for a chance to both cancel this increase and reduce losses,there would appear to me to be 4 main strands:-

1) Increased gate receipts.Not a great start,and good signings needed to get this on track,probably.

2)Sponsorship.If you take the Don Amott deal at its max possible amount (£999,999) then the income credited to the accounts annually on a 5 year deal would be £200k,not even covering an extra £4k/week in wages.If the whole lot were paid up front,it would still amount to £200k/year against P/L,via the mechanism of deferred income....and of course it could be a lot less than the max possible.

3)Advertising.Taking the various screens,are they now well filled with advertisers (I don't know)?I heard a figure of £1m/year bandied around,but presume this related to full capacity.If they yielded £1m,then we're talking of something just over £17k/week (with ENIC added) to put towards the wages budget.

4)Plaza-haven't a clue how advanced this is and when we could expect income.Even then,if externally funded what share of income would we receive?

All in all,bearing in mind the uncertainties of the above (match receipts could easily reduce if signings don't meet expectations),I find it hard to get my head around a scenario of additional income both reducing losses and contributing to an increased wage budget.

In terms of FFP,opting for out of contract players does have a positive effect.If you signed players involving fees then amortisation of both these and agents' fees/league levies count against FFP.On the other hand,out of contract players would just have agents' fees capitalised and amortised-a big difference.Signing on fees aren't capitalised but are charged to P/L as and when paid.The other interesting thing about FFP is that although incomings have costs spread over the contract,any P/L on sales go straight to P/L in that year,so don't match off with amortisation in future years.In other words,a positive effect on profits/losses in year sold,but no contribution thereafter.I could see one way round this however.Say we sold someone for £6m,then this could be used to repay loan capital,which could then be recycled into equity injections of,say,£2m/year over 3 years (effectively converting loan capital into equity).

Whilst I've never liked accountancy,I must admit that FFP produces stimulating challenges for a football club financial planner.If you take clubs that sail close to the wind of actually budgeting for a £5m FFP loss (reckless in my opinion),then what can you do if your budgets go awry? Loaning players out can reduce the wage bill,but it would be foolish to rely on this.Selling players in January would be an option,unless sold at a loss,but might other clubs get wind of the fact that they would be forced sales and therefore squeeze on price? If I were the CEO of a club wishing to recruit,I'd certainly be watching the market for signs of distress.

After all of this,I smell a significant player sale coming-hope I'm wrong. 

Ramblur, I couldn't see any player coming in without either Brayford, Hendrick or Hughes (or any combination) being sold first. I think this was the plan. The Southampton way...

No,I'm pretty certain SR said that we were going to try to keep our best players and bring in the required quality.It was said in a piece reproduced on this forum which I think (but don't know) came from the club's O/S.I concentrated on this because you can't rely thoroughly on anything reported from the forums/roadshow (and I seem to remember SR banned the use of recording devices and direct quotes of anything he said-though I think even this was reported by a poster rather than the man himself).

No,I'm pretty certain SR said that we were going to try to keep our best players and bring in the required quality.It was said in a piece reproduced on this forum which I think (but don't know) came from the club's O/S.I concentrated on this because you can't rely thoroughly on anything reported from the forums/roadshow (and I seem to remember SR banned the use of recording devices and direct quotes of anything he said-though I think even this was reported by a poster rather than the man himself).

I think someone said it was worded cleverly and left the impression that Hughes would be sold and loaned back?? I just see nothing in their history, unless they TRULY have faith in getting immediate promotion, that the owners will stump up good cash for top quality (at this level) players. They did bankroll Jewell to some extent, but they were sold the 'immediate promotion' promise.

I think someone said it was worded cleverly and left the impression that Hughes would be sold and loaned back?? I just see nothing in their history, unless they TRULY have faith in getting immediate promotion, that the owners will stump up good cash for top quality (at this level) players. They did bankroll Jewell to some extent, but they were sold the 'immediate promotion' promise.

No,I wish I could find the piece on here.I'm sure he basically said what I put,but left the door open for the sale of players if the money was too good too refuse.This is perhaps where the cleverness comes in because they could sell a player to fund incomings  and then say it was an offer too good to refuse,when it might have been the intention at the outset.We'd never know. 

I guess we know Martin, Forsyth and Baptiste are targets.

I'd assume a nippy striker Gayle? Grigg?

A wide player? Dunno who?

And Shabash says he's got info on players, and at least one position was "unexpected" or something...but he's not telling... :angry:  ;)

Big News

Watching rams player interview with jake Buxton who said the personnel we are getting in the summer are fantastic and will definitely help us reach the top 6.

He also said he was surprised by some of the names.

Well if bucko says it you'd better get your hopes up for a good summer.

I guess we know Martin, Forsyth and Baptiste are targets.

I'd assume a nippy striker Gayle? Grigg?

A wide player? Dunno who?

And Shabash says he's got info on players, and at least one position was "unexpected" or something...but he's not telling... :angry:;)

I know two players coming in that nobody has even suggested yet on the forum anywhere.

And some interesting transfers out

Archived