next season...

nfb

We seem to debate about the same few points most of the time these days, 'We are/arn't good enough for the play off's, striker/no striker.. no ambition..... average/decent/cr@p manager.'.etc..

For me,next season is our IF season.....

It will go something like this,IF we get Barker back and IF he's a good as b4, and IF we can keep the squad we have, and IF to that squad we can find funds to add another decent striker and left back,maybe 1 other, and IF the key players stay fit ! we could do well......

Or IF we sell Hughes, ( Hendrick,or Brayford )(hopefully not all three), and can get 3/4 (or even 5/6 depending who goes) decent players for positions we all know do or will need strengthening (if we do,NC does, one hopes !) with the money....... then i think we can do better than the mid/ upper mid table position i predicted for the last 2 seasons.......... IF

But if not,i think that gates will decline further, and Clough will go, by choice, because i believe even he will feel that enough is enough of flogging a 'dead horse' (my euphemism for no ambition.),

Oh well,rant over,I had to get that off my chest, and i hope that the board give us a clue about their real views on the direction of the club so we can all understand sooner rather than later, not season ticket hype ......

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We seem to debate about the same few points most of the time these days, 'We are/arn't good enough for the play off's, striker/no striker.. no ambition..... average/decent/cr@p manager.'.etc..

For me,next season is our IF season.....

It will go something like this,IF we get Barker back and IF he's a good as b4, and IF we can keep the squad we have, and IF to that squad we can find funds to add another decent striker and left back,maybe 1 other, and IF the key players stay fit ! we could do well......

Or IF we sell Hughes, ( Hendrick,or Brayford )(hopefully not all three), and can get 3/4 (or even 5/6 depending who goes) decent players for positions we all know do or will need strengthening (if we do,NC does, one hopes !) with the money....... then i think we can do better than the mid/ upper mid table position i predicted for the last 2 seasons.......... IF

But if not,i think that gates will decline further, and Clough will go, by choice, because i believe even he will feel that enough is enough of flogging a 'dead horse' (my euphemism for no ambition.),

Oh well,rant over,I had to get that off my chest, and i hope that the board give us a clue about their real views on the direction of the club so we can all understand sooner rather than later, not season ticket hype ......

How good is b4? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

This season was judgement season in my opinion because if we had finished around 16 or below there would have been drastic change.

Next the season the ticket count will be low again but nothing major.

There has been improvement but we really need to finish in the top 9 this season to give us confidence for next season, we will also be able to attract better players too.

Next season we need barker to be fit and in addition two good signings (keogh/Brayford/ward standard) a left back firstly and a striker. Then any funds left over spend on a rapid pacy right midfielder.

If we sell Hughes or Brayford in the summer that will be a whole different story.

I'd want to keep EVERYONE we have now, and buy 2-3 players,

i wouldn't keep EVERYONE we have now:

OUT

Tyson, Davies, Doyle, Deeney, Robinson and Oconnor

IN

Barker, Left back, Striker x2, Right Midfielder

Legzdins

Brayford Barker Keogh New LB

Coutts Hendrick Bryson Ward

New ST Sammon

Fielding, Obrien, Freeman, New rm, New st, Jacobs, Hughes

we have depth at GK, RB, CB, CM

we need more at RM, LM, ST, LB

ward moving to LM could help but coutts needs competition. Theo and Tyson ??? cant see a long term future at the club. depending on how good freeman and hoganson are/become we should still get a lb. a goal scorer would be nice too.

Next season will be the same as this one...

Same owners, same manager, same old same old boring useless rubbish!

The fans will say there is always next year (again), that we should be pushing for the playoffs (again), but it wont happen.

Prediction, well I will go for 18th and average attendances dropping below 20k.

OUT

IN

Legzdins

New ST Sammon

ward moving to LM could help but coutts needs competition. Theo and Tyson ??? cant see a long term future at the club. depending on how good freeman and hoganson are/become we should still get a lb. a goal scorer would be nice too.

Sorry, I meant keep everyone we have in the starting 11.

the 2-3 players we need are a ST, LB and CB. The rest are fine.

The fans will say there is always next year (again), that we should be pushing for the playoffs (again), but it wont happen.

This is why a good finish this season matters.

This board are saying that we will get promoted via slow progression with emphasis on youth and a low wage bill.

They improved the financial position of the club in the first few years but there wasnt good football. Now clough has a team playing good football with good young hungry (besides coutts) players. The progression in the past 2 seasons has HAD to be there as the problems off the pitch cannot be used as an excuse, if we finish in the top 9 this season. In my opinion we have to finish in the top 6 next season if not i personally will be protesting because we are going backwards as a club. So far we have in fairness been going forward all be it slowly. If we ever go backwards that is when i will be worried about this club but at the moment i have no quarrels with the slow progress.

you need to stop being so optimistic all the time.

Am sure we had this same thread last summer and the summer before that too 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

OUT

IN

Legzdins

New ST Sammon

I wouldn't move Ward back to LM. He's shown how effective he can be up front (9 goals and 8 assists in 15 games I believe) and I'd rather have Jacobs play their anyway.

The team I'd like to see next year would be (I'm omitting Hughes because I think he's pretty much a dead cert to leave):

Legzdins

Brayford

Keogh

New CB

New LB/Hoganson

Coutts/New RM

Bryson

Hendrick

Jacobs

Ward

Sammon/New ST (Clough won't drop his 1 million pound man though)

Bench: Fielding/new GK, Freeman, OB, Davies, new CM, Bennett, new ST

Lets look at the squad we will have if the 1 year option on Theo contracts is taken up and no other contracts are extended.

[size=5][size=4]Keepers [/size][/size]

[size=4][/size]

[size=5][size=4]Frank Fielding..............2014

Adam Legzdins.............2014

Full Backs

John Brayford..............2014

James Oconnor...........2014

Kieron Freeman..........2014

Centre Halves[/size][/size]

[size=5][size=4]Josh Lelan ..........?????

Valentin Gjokaj.....2014

Jake Buxton ......2014

Shaun Barker ......2015

Mark O'brien........2015

Tom Naylor...........2015

Richard Keogh......2015

Midfield[/size][/size]

[size=4]

[/size]

[size=5][size=4]

Jamie Ward ........2014

Craig Bryson.......2014

James Bailey.......2014

Jeff Hendrick........2015

Will Hughes ........2015

Michael Jacobs....2015

Paul Coutts...........2015

Strikers

Theo Robinson ....2014

Nathan Tyson .....2014

Callum Ball ..........2014

Mason Bennett.....2016.(until he's 20 apparently)

Conor Sammon .....2016

[/size][/size]

1st year professionals

Mats Morch

We will need a left back, even if Hogansen is given an extension for cover

look okay numbers wise for centre half

need right and left midfield as we only have Jacobs and Coutts

Strikers look okay numbers wise.

Still missing quality up front. Think Ball and Bailey will leave and we will get only 2-3 new players in

Am sure we had this same thread last summer and the summer before that too 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Not sure we could have done, because i think this is the 1st season for the last 3/4 that we have even talked about the quality of the squad,and possible play offs with any sense of realism (some may say it was unrealistic), but the point has been made that we have the 'potential' for them...... which is why most of us want to try to keep the squad together and add 3ish decent players to it to stand a chance,but it also shows we are close.......... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' />

Archived