Who is the cleverest person there has ever been?

sage

I would suggest Leonardo da Vinci. Great painter and also sculptor, writer, botanist and inventor. He designed helicopters, tanks, calculators, solar energy panels and double hull ships, hundreds of years before they were manufactured. He was too far ahead of his time for most of his concepts to become reality.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would suggest Leonardo da Vinci. Great painter and also sculptor, writer, botanist and inventor. He designed helicopters, tanks, calculators, solar energy panels and double hull ships, hundreds of years before they were manufactured. He was too far ahead of his time for most of his concepts to become reality.

Don't forget he stared in Titanic too.

Impossible to say. There might have been a subsistence farmer many thousands of years ago who stuck a post in the ground, walked backwards away from it and when it disappeared over the horizon, worked out the circumference of the earth as a multiple of his own height, and did it in his head - but because there was no written language, he was unable to record the information and consequently we had to wait until Eratosthenes of Cyrene 're-discovered' it.

It has been estimated that Stephen Hawking's IQ is around 160, whereas people like John Stuart Mill was 'supposed' to have a 200+ IQ. However, there are many scales applied to IQ, and without knowing the scale, the age at which the person was tested, the conditions under which the test was taken and a number of other factors, it is pretty well meaningless. It is also possible to 'learn' how to do IQ tests by performing them repeatedly.

Then there are dumbasses like me.

There's no need to bring the chap's private life into it, 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> he probably was ahead of his time and one of the greatest pioneers but I'd like to give Brunel a drop of recognition for his contribution, he was a good lad old Brunel.

There's no need to bring the chap's private life into it, 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> he probably was ahead of his time and one of the greatest pioneers but I'd like to give Brunel a drop of recognition for his contribution, he was a good lad old Brunel.

Who Frank Brunel 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Ok, make an argument for one of these.

i'm not saying these people are smarter than da Vinci, just listing some incredibly smart people that changed the world like him. its impossible to say who's the smartest ever because everyone contributes in different areas, for example einstein probably knnows more about physics than Darwin,

He drew pictures of helicopters not designed them, i can draw a picture of something and in 500 years time if it's invented will i be in the same class as da vinci?

Not that i'd be around to be smug about it.

I would say Copernicus, Galileo Galilei & newton for discovering the earth was not the center of the universe and that we rotate around the sun. Also the discovery and explanation to the world of gravity.

His remains are lying in Derby Cathedral and he had a school named after him in Breadsall Hilltop, arguably the most Intelligent man to have lived with so little recognition in the wider world- Henry Cavendish.

Problem was he was so shy (probably severely autistic) that he didn't publish the vast majority of his papers and others after his death have since taken credit and took his glory.

He was credited for the discovery of Hydrogen though and weighed the Earth to an accuracy even modern day instruments would struggle with. I don't think there was a pool he didn't dip his toe into.

Richter's law of reciprocal proportions, Ohm's law, Coulomb's law, Charles's law of gases, Dalton's law of partial pressures, essentially mapped out a blueprint for the laws of thermodynamics - all of which discovered after his death by a biographer going through his unpublished papers- very sad.

Certainly up there IMO.

Archived