The Big Sammon Thread

Rich3478

Whether Sammon has found his level in the Championship or he can rise once more to play in the Premier League remains to be seen, but a starting berth in the Republic of Ireland national team will certainly do his chances of progression no harm.

Let's hope lots of Premier League scouts are alerted and take a punt!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually laughed out loud, class.

We got stopped yesterday probably at just the moment you were writing your reply. Unfortunately it meant you didn't have the opportunity to answer the most important question.

Apart from the televised games, when was the last time you watched Conor Sammon play for Derby home or away?

One of his former team mates obviously without a football brain of course, dont seem to rate him much.

Some quotes from him :-

The game is crying out for Holohan because we have to try create and win. Sammon give me a break, jokeshop

Playing the ex-UCD striker is 'crazy' according to former Students man Alan Cawley.

isn't good in the air, doesn't have a good touch and I'm not sure what he offers.
Lad in work would want to go to specsavers, he was rank!!

Also taken from a someone else without a football brain :-

Wes Hoolahan again spent ninety minutes on the bench, while Conor Sammon toiled, but offered little more. Barring a couple of layoffs he was ineffective at retaining possession and, for all that his attitude cannot be questioned, there have to be real concerns (if there were not already) about his inclusion in any future starting eleven.

While his hard work made Shane Long’s job easier, and no doubt contributed to the West Brom man’s fine performance, it can’t be ignored that Sammon’s game is limited at this level. That he failed to once make himself a significant danger in front of goal, while ostensibly being Ireland’s target man, was merely the tip of the iceberg. The Derby County man has yet to show the positional sense, touch or quickness of thought required to justify his inclusion at the expense of players such as Kevin Doyle or Wes Hoolahan.

It just goes to show that opionions are very much divided on our Connor, oh well lets hope he proves everyone wrong in the next few matches (who think he is an average player).

We got stopped yesterday probably at just the moment you were writing your reply. Unfortunately it meant you didn't have the opportunity to answer the most important question.

Apart from the televised games, when was the last time you watched Conor Sammon play for Derby home or away?

I will get back to that thread, I play poker all evening and am putting in an afternoon session today so dont have time for lengthy responses. Either this evening or tomorrow I will reply.

To answer your question, I last watched him live away at Brighton. I've watched a few 90 minutes on ramsplayer (skip through some parts so probably more 70 minute matches). Lost a lot of drive and commitment to watch this current side live so havent been to as many games as I did the previous seasons. 

http://www.footballfriendsonline.com/blogs/2013/3/26/the-rise-of-the-sammon-derbys-in-form-striker-video.html?

Striker Conor Sammon finally looks set to make his full Republic of Ireland debut tonight after impressing this season in the Championship with Derby County.

At the age of 25, Sammon has had to wait some time to represent his country and perhaps has taken a longer and more obscure route into the international setup than many of his compatriots. The Irishman played part-time with University College Dublin in his homeland before making a move to fellow League of Ireland side Derry City.

Sammon made just a handful of appearances with Derry City before attracting the interest of Scottish Premier League side Kilmarnock with whom he joined in the summer of 2008 after impressing during a trial spell. Sammon flattered to deceive in his first two seasons in Scotland, often quashed by the presence of fellow striker Kevin Kyle in the first team. However, in the 2010-11 season Sammon began to show real glimpses of quality in his play and had scored 18 goals for Kilmarnock before the end of January.

At 6 foot 2 inches, Sammon certainly poses an aerial threat but has built his reputation upon his quick feet and excellent first touch. These skills impressed Wigan boss Roberto Martinez in January of 2011 and prompted the Premier League outfit to pay a reported £600,000 to bring Sammon to the DW Stadium. Although Sammon flirted with the fringes of the first team and failed to hold down a regular first team place, he was a figure in Wigan's great escape from relegation as the club retained their Premier League status in the last game of the season.

However, Sammon's role in Wigan's survival that year did not do enough to convince Martinez of his ability to hold down a regular place in the starting eleven. As such, Sammon was sold to Derby County last summer for £1.2 million and has impressed at Pride Park, scoring 7 goals in 37 games.

Whether Sammon has found his level in the Championship or he can rise once more to play in the Premier League remains to be seen, but a starting berth in the Republic of Ireland national team will certainly do his chances of progression no harm.

This is class

I worry when I hear such things, these don't tend to describe Sammon's best attributes, but hey...

One of his former team mates obviously without a football brain of course, dont seem to rate him much.

Some quotes from him :-

The game is crying out for Holohan because we have to try create and win. Sammon give me a break, jokeshop

Playing the ex-UCD striker is 'crazy' according to former Students man Alan Cawley.

isn't good in the air, doesn't have a good touch and I'm not sure what he offers.

Lad in work would want to go to specsavers, he was rank!!

Also taken from a someone else without a football brain :-

Wes Hoolahan again spent ninety minutes on the bench, while Conor Sammon toiled, but offered little more. Barring a couple of layoffs he was ineffective at retaining possession and, for all that his attitude cannot be questioned, there have to be real concerns (if there were not already) about his inclusion in any future starting eleven.

While his hard work made Shane Long’s job easier, and no doubt contributed to the West Brom man’s fine performance, it can’t be ignored that Sammon’s game is limited at this level. That he failed to once make himself a significant danger in front of goal, while ostensibly being Ireland’s target man, was merely the tip of the iceberg. The Derby County man has yet to show the positional sense, touch or quickness of thought required to justify his inclusion at the expense of players such as Kevin Doyle or Wes Hoolahan.

It just goes to show that opionions are very much divided on our Connor, oh well lets hope he proves everyone wrong in the next few matches (who think he is an average player).

Very sarcy LeedsRam. Well played.

See if I can do something similar? I've even bolded the bit I'm going to be sarcy about.

I'll have a quick look at this fella Alan Cawley's glowing career stats. Someone with such a fine ability of judging a player he's obviously done well for himself out of it?

He was poor for the first half last night no amount of dressing it up will change that.

Very sarcy LeedsRam. Well played.

See if I can do something similar? I've even bolded the bit I'm going to be sarcy about.

I'll have a quick look at this fella Alan Cawley's glowing career stats. Someone with such a fine ability of judging a player he's obviously done well for himself out of it?

He was poor for the first half last night no amount of dressing it up will change that.

My post was slight tongue in cheek, but it was you who said

"Where are all of these opinions from journalists and critics that say Sammon is garbage. Do you mean just on the forums? because that's the only place I've seen anything negative. None of the respected journalists or critics have written anything."

and

"I base my opinions on what I watch and I watch A LOT, but when someone who knows more about the game than me tells me something that makes my opinon wrong or invalid i'm not so arrogant that I'd dismiss it."

Not Im guessing you played at a higher level than him which is why you are dismissing his views, you may say its not a high level which is true, but its a level that Sammon played over 80 games at, before moving to Scotland. 

Once again very tongue in cheek, just because you can play football dont mean you have a brain, and have a view thats any more valid than us internet geeks :-)

http://pl.soccerway.com/players/alan-cawley/7004/

Well I bow down.

A guy who has made 24 starts in the last 3 years in the LOI scoring 3 goals in the process.

Now I understand what you mean, afterall he's definitely the one who can find the answer to Irelands problems.

And just for good measure José Mourinho's playing career highlight was nothing to speak about, does he not know a good player when he sees one.....

And just for good measure José Mourinho's playing career highlight was nothing to speak about, does he not know a good player when he sees one.....

:)

I don't mind these exchanges Leeds. I'm not the type to take it personally I really enjoy the banter. Shame I can't show tone of voice with written words

Again I'll just mention that I'm a million miles away from thinking Conor is a genius. He's not but he's not awful either. I also mentioned in the thread this morning that I thought he was poor first 45 yesterday. I was surprised to see him come back out.

Jose Mourinho knows a player when he sees one. Is that really a fair comparison though?

If Alan Cawley goes on to win the Championship in four countries (Spain, Portugal, Italy and England) and the champions league twice? (taly and Portugal?) then I'll be the first to come back and apologise for dissing him. ;-)

Deal?

I don't mind these exchanges Leeds. I'm not the type to take it personally I really enjoy the banter. Shame I can't show tone of voice with written words

Again I'll just mention that I'm a million miles away from thinking Conor is a genius. He's not but he's not awful either. I also mentioned in the thread this morning that I thought he was poor first 45 yesterday. I was surprised to see him come back out.

Jose Mourinho knows a player when he sees one. Is that really a fair comparison though?

If Alan Cawley goes on to win the Championship in four countries (Spain, Portugal, Italy and England) and the champions league twice? (taly and Portugal?) then I'll be the first to come back and apologise for dissing him. ;-)

Deal?

Deal, and if Connor Sammon goes on to prove he can be better than an average championship player, Ill come back and admit I was wrong to.

Which btw I hope is the case ;)

Haven't been on here for a while but I see not much changes. Derby County play currently in the Championship. Conor Sammon is not a Premier League player but he is a Championship player. Those that are dismissing him as useless or awful simply aren't, in my opinion, being fair or realistic. I hope of course he goes on to score a few more this season and have a great season next season. But that's just me being a Derby fan, which I know isn't very popular on here.

Haven't been on here for a while but I see not much changes. Derby County play currently in the Championship. Conor Sammon is not a Premier League player but he is a Championship player. Those that are dismissing him as useless or awful simply aren't, in my opinion, being fair or realistic. I hope of course he goes on to score a few more this season and have a great season next season. But that's just me being a Derby fan, which I know isn't very popular on here.

Agree. Neither Sammon nor Martin are prolific goalscorers. Sammon is a workhorse who plays for the team. Martin likes the ball at his feet but offers little in the way of energy or passion. I'm afraid it's a sign of where we are as a club that these two are the best we have, but until we are able to inject some cash, or until the youngsters are good enough to step up, we have to put up with it for a while and keep giving encouragement. 

I was at Cardiff when Sammon played well against the top of the league and scored a goal. The Derby faithful cheered and supported him like he was a hero. Four days later, he plays against Birmingham and gets shouted at every time he touches the ball.

He's a bit like Theo but brings others into play more than he does. I really think that if he had a better partner, he would help supply a bucket of goals. However, just of late we've not had that skill or slick passing from midfield forwards. We are missing Hughes and Bryson and Ward haven't been fit. 

We shouldn't start panicking or making scapegoats just yet, but if the close season doesn't yield some signings, I might just be a little worried.

I will get back to that thread, I play poker all evening and am putting in an afternoon session today so dont have time for lengthy responses. Either this evening or tomorrow I will reply.

To answer your question, I last watched him live away at Brighton. I've watched a few 90 minutes on ramsplayer (skip through some parts so probably more 70 minute matches). Lost a lot of drive and commitment to watch this current side live so havent been to as many games as I did the previous seasons. 

I enjoy a few hours myself but haven't played for a while. I won 6 grand in a tourney on willhill and "retired" letting the wife buy a new bed with the funds Thinking of starting again. Which network do you use and are you EastKentRam on there as well. I'll look out for you.

Deal?

Are you seriously trying to suggest that the higher level of player the higher his comments are likely to be ranked..

Someone mention Jose Mourinho, I could tell you thousands more..

Or shall we all just listen to Paul Ince, given that he's top of the pile when it came to playing so his judgement must weigh far more than the likes of Jurgen Klopp, Tito Vilanova and Andres Villa Boas..

I enjoy a few hours myself but haven't played for a while. I won 6 grand in a tourney on willhill and "retired" letting the wife buy a new bed with the funds Thinking of starting again. Which network do you use and are you EastKentRam on there as well. I'll look out for you.

Bloody hell - what bed worrit?!

Archived