team of internationals

davenportram

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12020/8474095/O-Shea-backs-Sammon-to-leap-to-Ireland-s-cause.

John O'Shea is backing debutant Conor Sammon to give the Republic of Ireland the aerial threat they have been missing since the glory days of Tony Cascarino and Niall Quinn.

The Derby striker will make his senior international debut alongside West Brom's Shane Long in Wednesday night's friendly against Poland at the Aviva Stadium.

And captain O'Shea feels that Sammon's height will give the Irish an added dimension they have not had since the days of Quinn and, before him, Cascarino.

He said: "Strength-wise, Kevin (Doyle) and Jon (Walters) are fantastic, but height-wise Conor would have that advantage - and I'd think he would probably be a little bit more nimble than two fantastic players in Cascarino and Quinn.

"I have played against Conor once or twice, and he's going to offer us a good physical presence up front and a threat in behind as well.

"He's a big man who is quite agile and can get about pitch quite well.

"The Polish defence, especially with Shane and Conor starting up front, hopefully will have a very tough start to the game because from what they have shown in training, they won't let their defenders rest on the ball, with the massive pressure they put on the defenders."

Speaking at the same press conference as O'Shea, Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni took the opportunity to hit backs at claims by Reading full-back Ian Harte, who has not played for his country since 2007, that the Italian did not even know he was Irish.

Harte had tweeted: "To all the people asking if I have retired from international football.no I haven't trap didn't even know I was Irish #whataclown."

But Trapattoni's response was brief and straight to the point.

He said: "I know him, I have seen many games. Two years ago, I said he was too

old."

Just had a look on the forest forum just to see how the manager debacle is going down.

Came across a thread..... "Sammon is better than Cox"

And guess what the majority agreed. Not conclusively but they said currently given current form Sammon is the better player.

There's another hair too be pulled out by the Sammon haters, our rivals saying that their 2 million pounds signing isnt as good as our 1.2 million pound signing. Cant be bad.

The ROI call up has really got me thinking. Sammon has improved a lot, you think to his first games he didn't really excite the fans but after he has had consistent game time his overall play, running down the channels, winning more headers and linking up with the other strike partner has improved a lot. A couple months back I wouldn't have even acknowledged having Sammon over Cox but now I am starting to turn and the one main reason is he gives absolutely everything, only player to have ra more miles than Craig Bryson since craig joined what 2 and a bit years ago.

It will be very interesting to watch on Sky tomorrow how he plays with top quality players around him. Will he flourish or will he look lost I hope the first of the two.

Sammon is a much better player than Cox - Cox I think is technically better, but on all other fronts Sammon is by far the better player.

Cox is like a '****' Steve Davies IMO - if he isn't scoring he is absolute tripe, doesn't offer anything else and when i've seen him more recently he seems to just lose the ball, I'm surprised Cox is even in the squad, surely there has to be better?

Sammon starting over Kevin Doyle on the other hand? well, I guess he is having the better season.

I am very pro-sammon though, he brings a lot to the team, he's own individual achievements are sometimes looked at as poor, because he mucks in and does the dirty stuff - I can appreciate that, as does the manager and the rest of the players... Ward, Brayford, Bryson, Clough and a few others have expressed his importance to the team.

Just had a look on the forest forum just to see how the manager debacle is going down.

Came across a thread..... "Sammon is better than Cox"

And guess what the majority agreed. Not conclusively but they said currently given current form Sammon is the better player.

I'm afraid those opinions doesn't count much. After all, they are same people who thinks Buxton is not God.

TobyWanKenobi

What? No Cwyka in the Poland squad? But I was under the impression from some people that he was the greatest player to have ever pulled on a Derby shirt, better than Messi, Maradona and Pele combined.

"Usually these big strikers, they are strong but are not too sensible with the ball. They don't usually have refined technique," said Trapattoni.

"But he (Sammon) has that. He can play one, two or three touch.

I like Sammon, but, really?

Archived