Championship managerial merry go round

PistoldPete

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point made by Uttox about Billy Davies.

It seems strange to me too that there is this managerial merry-go-round every year and several casualties in the Championship and no-one seems to show more than a fleeting interest in Billy.

He did a really good job at Forest and didn't deserve to be sacked. I can only assume he's holding out for a job north of the border.

He's got a reputation as someone who's extremely difficult to work with. Owners and chairman see him as more hassle than he's worth.

Some really strange sackings and appoinments in the Championship this season.

Out of all the new managers this season, I'd say the best three are Holloway, McCarthy and O'Driscoll.

O'Driscoll and McCarthy have ended up at teams right down the bottom and Holloway and the financially dodgy Palace, although at least they are/were doing well.

The 'bigger' clubs with recent Premiership experience/delusions of grandeur (Wolves, Blackburn, Bolton, Forest) have not gone after these better managers and have taken much more of a gamble on less proven/unpopular managers.

How nice is some stability compared to this.

It seems strange to me too that there is this managerial merry-go-round every year and several casualties in the Championship and no-one seems to show more than a fleeting interest in Billy.

Maybe rather than "strange" it's actually quite "telling".

Sacking Lambert being the right thing to do totally depends on what his remit was when he joined.

If it was to build a team is capable of bouncing back if they get relegated, and also keep an eye on the future by signing young talent, you'd have to say he's doing a good job.

If it was pure pragmatism, and the sole aim was to survive, you'd have to say he's doing a pretty bad job.

I suspect it's the former though. O'Neill left Villa in the **** with big money signings, but gets the plaudits. £7m on Warnock, £6m for Delph, £7.5 for Cuellar, £8.5m (!!!!) for Reo-Coker, all on long term, expensive contracts. Then, Gary Cahill and Craig Gardner allowed to leave on the cheap. They never really recovered from that era, despite going to a cup final and having stints in Uefa Cup/Europa League. It's like a very mild Leeds United.

Anyone who comes in to Villa now I guess will be tasked with signing young players. They may well go down but they'll be in decent shape to return if so.

Maybe rather than "strange" it's actually quite "telling".

Maybe some of the earlier posts are right. Maybe there is this perception of Billy being nothing but trouble and that makes prospective clubs look elsewhere.

I suppose it's a case of weighing up risk against reward. As much as I laughed my shorts off at Forest's annual demise under Billy, I thought it was only a matter of time before it clicked.

More recently, I looked at clubs like Blackburn and Wolves and thought the infrastructure would be perfect at those clubs for him to go in and make a difference.

I think a big loss for villa were injuries to Dunne and then vlar at the back, with them two at centre half they would have been a better side. I know they are trying to build do the future but they really do need to use the players like warnock and Darren bent to get then out of it then rebuild again in the summer

He did a really good job at Forest and didn't deserve to be sacked. I can only assume he's holding out for a job north of the border.

BD always seems to engineer his own dismissal. That's the main reason people think he's a tosspot only out for Number One

Sacking Lambert being the right thing to do totally depends on what his remit was when he joined.

If it was to build a team is capable of bouncing back if they get relegated, and also keep an eye on the future by signing young talent, you'd have to say he's doing a good job.

If it was pure pragmatism, and the sole aim was to survive, you'd have to say he's doing a pretty bad job.

I suspect it's the former though. O'Neill left Villa in the **** with big money signings, but gets the plaudits. £7m on Warnock, £6m for Delph, £7.5 for Cuellar, £8.5m (!!!!) for Reo-Coker, all on long term, expensive contracts. Then, Gary Cahill and Craig Gardner allowed to leave on the cheap. They never really recovered from that era, despite going to a cup final and having stints in Uefa Cup/Europa League. It's like a very mild Leeds United.

Anyone who comes in to Villa now I guess will be tasked with signing young players. They may well go down but they'll be in decent shape to return if so.

Good points about O'Neil' at Villa. He spent a fortune on average players and let some other go for nothing. Some terrible signings and releases here: http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7504468

• 2 weeks later...

is it worse than usual this year?

Wolves Blackburn and Forest have sacked two managers each since the end of last season.

And Blackpool have rather carelessly lost two managers who have walked.

Other sackings at Bolton, Ipswich, Barnsley and Bristol City , plus Freedman left Palace. So thats at least 13 changes in about 6 months.

Just seems crazy to me.

And Grayson gone too....managerial change number 14 by my reckoning. Wonder who will be next....? Lee Clark? Alex McLeish?

Or the new Blackburn manager maybe?

Archived