Top Ten

sage

Fo me no, but only because I dont measure clubs progress by budgets, in all walks of life there will be someone with a bigger marketing budget, pays higher wages, has a better car etc.....I just think that you should always aim to be the best whatever it may be and with whatever tools you have.

BD got us promoted on a budget lower than WBA and probably a few others in the league, the purple one and Jewell had big budgets and failed, Burley got us into the play offs with a lower budget, are these a reflection on there management skills or the money they spent ?

Im not knocking you if you do think its enough but not for me, will you be happy if Millwall or a.n.other club with a lower budget finish above us ?

Isn't it a lot about money, a lot about luck, a lot about injuries, a lot about skills off and on the pitch etc? It's a combination of all those things. Not just one. Yes, BD got us promoted - thanks a lot BD - great job you did in the following season. I take a long term view, perhaps longer than others would like. I see no particular problem if we finish outside the play offs but in the top half.

You're bound to get some doing better than expected and some doing worse. I'm a little nervous about a return to the Premiership after last time. I'd like to think we might stay in it next time. I love to see the Rams do well but I can wait another season after the pain we've been through over the last 5 years.

So, for every Millwall, there's [currently] a Wolves, Bolton and others who should be above us and Millwall if we're just talking money. Who's to say that they won't rip the Division apart after Christmas, replacing Millwall and others? Not me, this League is all over the place. And then three teams go up. Remember Reading last season? Nice team, looked good, Not so pretty now though for them.

I'd be happy with 7th 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> .

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm confused by your 'enough' comments. My 'enough' comment was this, are our non-fiscal strengths strong 'enough' to ensure we finish above 'enough' clubs who are fiscally stronger than us,I'm not sure the Billy Davies budget is a fair comparison. He spent a fair old amount, including £2m in January. If we spend net £2m this January a) I will be amazed and 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> I will expect more from the team. Obviously there isn't an absolute budget/points outcome, there are other considerations, some permanent such as a good manager and some temporary such as a centre forward having the season of their lives such as Howard for us and even more so, Murray for Palace this year. If Murray had scored at last seasons rate,this season Palace would be below us. I would be happy with 8th this year, Even happier with 6th. I think NC shouldkeep his job with anything top half,

I thought you said "I'm reasonably happy with sitting in 10th now" and "My point is if we finish at the top of the clubs with similar budgets, even if you only include those currently in the top 12, we'd still finish outside the top 6", so maybe I misunderstood the point you were making when reading your comments, I thought you were saying that it would be difficult to break into the top 6 with our budget and citing this as a reason not to, apologies for this and Im not wishing to get into any long debate around it :-)

I wasnt comparing BD budget to ours, I was comparing it to other teams in the league at that time, and that you dont have to be on a level playing field to finish in the top 6.

As for Murray, he has scored goals throughout most of his career so its no great suprise, but look at Austin who I think has scored more yet they are below mid table, so you have to give credit to the whole palace team not just him.

Clough will keep his job wherever we finish, I believe that could be top 6 this year if he can sort out the away from, if we finish 8th I wont be happy (i wont be completely unhappy either), but only because Ill see it as an opportunity missed.

When does it become a valid point? What happens if they sign him perm for 1m, or replace him with an equally as good loan player? Do we know this wont happen?

You can only judge a side based on current form, not what might happen in the future.

Not that I am agreeing with bris in any way shape or form.

If Millwall have a similar budget to us it's unlikely they could afford him in January but with Leicester, supposedly, preparing a cash bid even if they could afford him could they out muscle them in the transfer market??? No...

They may well be able to bring in a comparible striker but whjo's to say he'll be any good, I doubt even Kenny Jacket expected him to have the kind of impact he has. Some how I can't imagine they'd be in a similar position if they were relying on Andy Keogh to bag the majority of their goals, he's pants...

If Millwall have a similar budget to us it's unlikely they could afford him in January but with Leicester, supposedly, preparing a cash bid even if they could afford him could they out muscle them in the transfer market??? No...

They may well be able to bring in a comparible striker but whjo's to say he'll be any good, I doubt even Kenny Jacket expected him to have the kind of impact he has. Some how I can't imagine they'd be in a similar position if they were relying on Andy Keogh to bag the majority of their goals, he's pants...

Maybe not, but there are a lot of ifs and buts in there, would a similar budget to ours include a 1.2m bid for Sammon / Wood ?

Did we not Keough over Cardiff who have a bigger budget than ours ?

Do I think Milwall will finish above uscome the end of the season, I havent got a clue !

Maybe not, but there are a lot of ifs and buts in there, would a similar budget to ours include a 1.2m bid for Sammon / Wood ?

Did we not Keough over Cardiff who have a bigger budget than ours ?

Do I think Milwall will finish above uscome the end of the season, I havent got a clue !

I certainly don't think they'll be in the play offs and if they do finish above us it won't be by many points. Similar wage budgets, similar position.

At least I hope so or it will only add fuel to Bris' weekly "I hate Nigel Clough and everything he stands for" mantra that won't end until we're promoted or he's sacked. Either way we'll have to put up with his p1ssing and moaning for another couple of years at least...

I certainly don't think they'll be in the play offs and if they do finish above us it won't be by many points. Similar wage budgets, similar position.

At least I hope so or it will only add fuel to Bris' weekly "I hate Nigel Clough and everything he stands for" mantra that won't end until we're promoted or he's sacked. Either way we'll have to put up with his p1ssing and moaning for another couple of years at least...

That would not stop the man (is he, I don't know), he hates anything to do with England, derby and won't be stopped if he is proved wrong just will ignore it and got onto another subject.

I see man utd have drawn Real Madrid, maybe he is up for a sportsmans bet with the loser stopping posting for a month!

Fo me no, but only because I dont measure clubs progress by budgets, in all walks of life there will be someone with a bigger marketing budget, pays higher wages, has a better car etc.....I just think that you should always aim to be the best whatever it may be and with whatever tools you have.

BD got us promoted on a budget lower than WBA and probably a few others in the league, the purple one and Jewell had big budgets and failed, Burley got us into the play offs with a lower budget, are these a reflection on there management skills or the money they spent ?

Im not knocking you if you do think its enough but not for me, will you be happy if Millwall or a.n.other club with a lower budget finish above us ?

You can say where we are is good considering our budget without saying that every single position in the league is determined by budget apart from ours.

We're small and punching above our weight - but so are other teams. It's good, but it's not unique.

Also, I can take one club finishing above us with a lower budget without presenting our season as abject failure. Should Fergie have been sacked every time he finished second to Arsenal or Liverpool on a lower budget?

We're doing ok in a competitive season where the table won't matter until April.

There's some very dodgy managers in this league with lots of money and I see the January transfer window as an opportunity to make up even more ground. Billy Davies turned us from automatic promotion candidates to average Championship fodder in th January of 2007, signing the likes of McEveley, Fagan and Macken.

Archived