Duchess hoax call, a harmless prank or not?

ladyram

The Australian presenters have spoke to the press and said sorry about the hoax call to the hospital nurse, who has since died, apparantley having comitted suicide.

RD is asking do you feel sorry for the presenters or not?

Discuss.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst I don't agree with prank calls in general the Austrailian DJ's should not be held responsible for the death of the nurse. Do I feel sorry for them? I'm not sure tbh but they didn't deserve the amount of abuse on social media sites.

every action has a re-action , i hate this kind of "entertainment" , but i dont think the DJ's are to blame for the death, how many hoax calls have been done in history !! alot , whilst im sure this was a terrible time for the nurse my guess is there must have been other emotional issues there and this was purely the "final straw" , but at the end of the day someone has taken there own life and its a sad loss for her family and friends

I think they're partly to blame. It sounds like an accumulation of things.

Firstly, you would think, having a royal inpatient, the hospital would have a 'protocol' about putting the calls through. Surely, they would know that the queen would never just telephone herself and to be vigilante as the press and media would be all over it.

You would expect the royal family to have some sort of safeguarding in place so these things don't happen - and so too would the hospital.

Also, it is illegal to use tape recordings of these sorts of pranks, without the consent of the person 'pranked', in England and in Australia. Dom Joly wrote yesterday, there's some comedy gold on the cutting room floor because people won't consent to it being shown. No way would I consent to something like that, not in a million years.

We don't know the background of the nurse involved, (and we dont need to I know) but there might have been some underlying problems, she was living away from home in the nurses accomodation, that puts a strain on things. She may have felt that she'd commited the cardinal sin of nursing - breaching confidentiality.

Also, we don't know whether she was going to be reprimanded for her part in it - I know the hospital said they hadn't - but you never know. Also, perhaps the press were hounding her.

So to solely blame the DJ's is a bit harsh, but the radio station have broken the law in airing the conversation (over and over again I believe) but they have to shoulder some of the blame and I don't feel comfortable listening to them crying and telling everyone how bad they feel - because however bad they do feel, it won't be nearly as bad as her husband and children.

As Mrs Ram has touched on, I wonder whether the hospital (looking for a scapegoat to cover it's own shortcomings) warned the lady she faced disciplinary action or demotion because I find it difficult to comprehend someone taking their own life over being embarrassed and that's not to try and trivialise the situation.

I think both the management of the radio station and the hospital are more culpable than the presenters, yes in retrospect maybe they shouldn't have done it but (a) someone at the radio station decided to broadcast it, they could have pulled it, and b, the hospital should have had some sort of screening process in place to ensure the duchess's condition was not discussed with anyone over the telephone.

The royal protection people shouldn't be excluded from scrutiny either though I think the three parties I have mentioned will be more than happy to hang the DJ's out to dry.

I don't think the Djs are to blame. It was a silly idea but, there should be strict protocols in place with regards to patient confidentiality. They shouldn't be able to give out any information over the phone unless they are absolutly certain of who is calling and have the permission of the patient to give the information out.

She obviously had further mental health problems, no sane person kills themselves over a prank phone call.

It all smells a bit fishy to me any way, never underestimate the power of the parasites that are the royal family.

Too right, the Royals run this thing. Icke's bang on. #DoitforDi

This is like a one in a million situation. Loads of prank calls take place every day, but hardly any have consequences like this. They rang up for the hospital for a laugh, didn't intend to cause harm to anyone, so i don't think the DJ's should be blamed.

Actions have consequences. This consequence was of course out of proportion to the action - I do feel sorry for the presenters that have to live with this for the rest of their life - but you can't embarass someone in public like that and not expect her to take it on the chin. Obviously there's no coverage of what it feels like to be embarassed by receiving a hoax phone call broadcast to a whole nation, but I felt it doesn't feel nice.

It's like the Andrew Sachs phone call. How can you treat the people on the other end of the phone as an object of entertainment with no consideration for what it actually does to them?

I can't blame the DJ's for what happened. I have made some jokes here about other people posting here and I have been the receiving end of the jokes too. If something like this would result for writing here would we be held for responsible also ? There is no way strange people can predict when and why someone will commit a suicide. In this case I can't help feeling sorry for everyone involved.

Actions have consequences. This consequence was of course out of proportion to the action - I do feel sorry for the presenters that have to live with this for the rest of their life - but you can't embarass someone in public like that and not expect her to take it on the chin. Obviously there's no coverage of what it feels like to be embarassed by receiving a hoax phone call broadcast to a whole nation, but I felt it doesn't feel nice.

It's like the Andrew Sachs phone call. How can you treat the people on the other end of the phone as an object of entertainment with no consideration for what it actually does to them?

Has anyone actually established what prompted the nurse to commit suicide or is it just assumed it was the hoax call? There are any number of influences which could have been at play here. No-one who has laughed at Jeremy Beadle, Noel Edmonds, Dom Joly or a whole host of other pranksters can get on their high horse about this one. It's just a tragic reaction to a silly idea. It should be out of the news by now to let the real job of discovering the real sadness in this girl's life take prominence.

I think she was humiliated by the call.

It may be that the hospital stay was a big deal to her. She may have felt totally humiliated. She may have felt that she failed in her duties. She may have felt that everyone was laughing at her and that she'd always be remembered as the person who was made to lookmstupid. She might have thought that her career was damaged.

. Not everyone can just brush these things off.

I think she was humiliated by the call.

It may be that the hospital stay was a big deal to her. She may have felt totally humiliated. She may have felt that she failed in her duties. She may have felt that everyone was laughing at her and that she'd always be remembered as the person who was made to lookmstupid. She might have thought that her career was damaged.

. Not everyone can just brush these things off.

I don't disagree with any of those theories, but the progression from here to suicide isn't natural behaviour unless of course humiliation was a recurrent theme in her life. I just think the press coverage has been a tad voyeuristic as part of the royal baby frenzy.

it's like what ramexpat said, this was probably the "final straw" nobody knows how the nurse life was coping with life at this point. she could be suffering with depression or something. I don't think one prank call caused her to do this, nor do i think that it was an inside job from the royals. the "final straw" thing seems like the most logical explanation.

i don't feel sorry for the DJs and I think they have some blame but obviously didn't know anything about her.

The prank is a pretty poor one anyway, when I heard about it (before the suicide) I didn't think 'Golly that sounds like a jolly jape, kudos!!'.

I know this is not the same scale, but I remember when 'Nasty' Nick was in Big Brother, and he was writing names in lipstick IIRC, and trying to influence the vote, he came out to a reception of complete hatred and people were baying for his blood, he summed it with 'all I did was try and cheat at a gameshow', and he's right, I look back now and think how ridiculous that was.

I wrote that last paragraph thinking I had a good point, but now I read it back I have no idea what my point was, but maybe someone else can work out what my point was (now I am just thinking aloud).

I wonder what the DJs went to bed thinking (again, before the suicide), did they think it was a good idea, or did they regret it? I can guarantee they regret it now. Everyone does things that they wish they could take back, or thinks of something really great they could have done but missed the chance.

I don't know what I think, I keep changing my mind as I write. Can you believe I'm completely sober, and yet I am still rambling. Maybe I should get a beer and try this post again.

Clearly the DJs pushed the nurse over the edge, it is a tragedy, but they shouldn't be persecuted on the internet, it would probably already be forgotten about if she hadn't committed suicide.

I'm going to read the transcript of their interview now.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/full-transcript-of-prank-djs-interview-8398343.html

Basically they didn't intend to get through to anyone that mattered. The joke was simply pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles, with ridiculous soundbites of corgis etc, they just wanted someone posh to politely tell them to f*ck off.

""

Greig: But we didn't actually want that. We just wanted to be hung up on. We wanted to be hung up on with our silly voices and wanted a 20-second segment to air of us doing stupid voices.

Brady: You didn't think of identifying yourselves at the end of that call?

Greig: That's where the process comes in. We just record everything and pass it to the team. That's what we do.

Christian: And again the call itself is - there's no malice in the call. There was no digging. There was no trying to upset or get a reaction.

Brady: Do you feel now that you're part of a witch hunt? That someone wants someone to pay here? There's hackers here threatening to shut down the station and hack into the whole system if you guys aren't sacked. Does that make you feel vulnerable?

Greig (crying): There's nothing that can make me feel worse than what I feel right now. And for what I feel for the family. We're so sorry that this has happened to them.

Archived