Under 18s

Ambitious

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect there's a fair amount of our Under 18s playing for the reserves/U21s and a fair few younger than U18s playing for the U18s, which won't help. Plus results don't really matter at this age group, what matters is producing good players for the first team, and we are doing that at the moment.

Why so poor? I don't believe they've won a game this season yet - following on from last seasons success, bit of a gulf wouldn't you say...

Because we now have our beastly U21s who have won 7 and drawn 2 of their 11 games. Yes, the U18s only have 3 draws in 11 games, but you have to consider this U21 side too.

Why so poor? I don't believe they've won a game this season yet - following on from last seasons success, bit of a gulf wouldn't you say...

I think Derby are 'fast tracking' a lot of the younger players to playing in the under 18's, Bennett is reguarly playing for the under 18's and Under 21's and on the bench for the first team now. Also, as Duncan said, I think a fair few of the players in the Under 18 squad are a lot younger then 18, maybe in an attempt that if they are playing against kids that are stronger/faster than them, that they will have to be technically better to try and beat them, I know Arsenal do this a lot.

I agree results aren't all that important as only a few scholars are given contracts in the end. last years I remember were Hughes lelan galinski Morch richards. and Bennett a bit before.

we will still have good players but most of last seasons team will be in under 21. nothing to worry about in terms of results.

I also know that there is one lad called max Lowe who is very highly regarded LB or CM played for England a few times, under 16 I think. the advantage of having so many youngsters is that they hopefully will eventually improve the first team or be worth quite a bit of money.

I agree results aren't all that important as only a few scholars are given contracts in the end. last years I remember were Hughes lelan galinski Morch richards. and Bennett a bit before.

we will still have good players but most of last seasons team will be in under 21. nothing to worry about in terms of results.

I also know that there is one lad called max Lowe who is very highly regarded LB or CM played for England a few times, under 16 I think. the advantage of having so many youngsters is that they hopefully will eventually improve the first team or be worth quite a bit of money.

Taken from DET:

[size=3]

DERBY County youngster Max Lowe is in the England Under-16 squad for tonight's Sky Sports Victory Shield opener against Northern Ireland.[/size][size=3]

The 15-year-old is a left-back or left-sided midfielder, who has been playing regularly for the Rams' under-18 side this season.[/size][size=3]

He is another of the Academy products to receive international recognition at youth level for England in the past year following Mason Bennett, Will Hughes and Kwame Thomas.[/size][size=3]

The Victory Shield clash will be played at Stangmore Park, County Tyrone.[/size]

[size=2]Highlights my point, that we're playing 15 year olds regularly in the under 18's side.[/size]

Sort of regarding this there was a great article in the DET a couple of weeks back now where Cloughie was extolling the virtues of looking beyond the physicality of the younger players for those that really have the skills that they are looking for no matter if they are physically overmatched at that stage of their development, the skill they possess will win out in the end

NIGEL Clough believes producing home-grown players is the best way forward for the majority of clubs.

Clough has stressed the importance of the Academy to Derby County in a week when 17-year-old Will Hughes has made most of he headlines.

Hughes has been a regular starter for the first team this season and he was capped by England Under-21s for the first time on Tuesday when he came off the bench against Northern Ireland.

He is a product of the Academy, as are Mason Bennett, Jeff Hendrick, Mark O'Brien and Callum Ball, who is on loan at Coventry City.

The development and progress of young players is a feather in the club's cap.

"It's brilliant," said Clough. "There has been a concerted effort with the Academy in the last three or four years to get it back on track and to start producing players.

"This is something the owners have been very keen on from day one and it makes the best financial business sense to produce your own players.

"It is the cheapest way to do it because if the youngsters go on to become £1m-rated players, great. If they go on and play for your first team for five or six years, fantastic.

"There are very few clubs these days, apart from the big boys, who can go around spending money left, right and centre.

"There are a few clubs in the Championship still doing it but for the long-term future of the club, let's produce our own."

Hughes in many ways breaks the mould when it comes to Academy players.

"We don't just look at the physical side, which is maybe the case with some academies and may have been the case here a little bit when we arrived," said Clough.

"We look at their ability, because they will develop at different stages. It can be difficult for 14 and 15-year-olds, who do not have the physical stature.

"Sometimes they can get lost and fall by the wayside but we are encouraging those sort of players because when they catch up physically, we will see them flourish.

"That's why we try to keep them in the system as long as we can."

Clough uses Everton midfielder Leon Osman as an example.

Osman has played more than 300 games for the Merseyside club and won his first full cap for England at the age of 31 in Wednesday's game against Sweden.

He was a late developer. He made his debut at 21 and became a first-team regular for Everton at 23. Inbetween, he spent loan spells at Carlisle United and Derby where he gained valuable experience.

"How easy would it have been for Everton to release Leon Osman at 19?" said Clough. "They could easily have said 'you're not strong enough, not good enough'.

"They didn't and he is a great example of a club hanging on to a player because they knew he could play."

Archived