James O'Connor

SK47

To be fair we started 4-4-2 and got absolutely killed, moved to 4-5-1 and we were the better team. It would of been a lot worse if we stuck with 4-4-2 yesterday.

no denying it! Killed is an understatement but I want us to play the 4-4-2 in the same style we do at home, won't happen but that's all I'm banging on about 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no denying it! Killed is an understatement but I want us to play the 4-4-2 in the same style we do at home, won't happen but that's all I'm banging on about 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

We tried against Leicester - didn't work.

We were very attacking, played a high line and got the ball down the wings, got balls into the box had 9 shots on target probably the most we've had all season away from home.

I hope we don't change from how we set out against Leicester though, they had the ability to hurt us... not many teams in this division do however, if we go at them we will pick up wins away from home.

We tried against Leicester - didn't work.

We were very attacking, played a high line and got the ball down the wings, got balls into the box had 9 shots on target probably the most we've had all season away from home.

I hope we don't change from how we set out against Leicester though, they had the ability to hurt us... not many teams in this division do however, if we go at them we will pick up wins away from home.

if we don't go to Bristol and attack like we do at home to a certain extent then we have to be disappointed as we need a confident performance to pick the 3 points up from them, they don't seem able to pick any kind of form up! Agreed Leicester have possibly the best squad to choose from, bringing Nugent and Marshall off the bench isn't a bad thing eh!

He did have a mare today but it's his first truely bad performance for me. I'd consider dropping him, but wouldn't take the decision lightly.

Can you nip down to Specsavers and ask them to put new lenses in your rose coloured glasses, Des, or is it Tom, is bloody rubbish, he has had a lot more crap performances than average and we are lumbered with him as a result of our owners being tight-arsed Yanks who are clueless when it comes to necessary spending to ensure we have players of Championship quality in all positions. He will go down in DCFC history alongside those other epic defensive signings, Bragstad, Davis, Blatsis and Daino.

Roberts ain't up to much but he is better than O'Connor.

Can you nip down to Specsavers and ask them to put new lenses in your rose coloured glasses, Des, or is it Tom, is bloody rubbish, he has had a lot more crap performances than average and we are lumbered with him as a result of our owners being tight-arsed Yanks who are clueless when it comes to necessary spending to ensure we have players of Championship quality in all positions. He will go down in DCFC history alongside those other epic defensive signings, Bragstad, Davis, Blatsis and Daino.

Roberts ain't up to much but he is better than O'Connor.

Rose tinted glasses? How is anything I've said to do with nostalgia? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' />

O'Connor has but in a number of decent performances at CB, and has been average to poor at LB.

I find it incredible that you've compared him to one of our worst players in our history, come on! He's alright, probably poor at LB - not absolutely sh1te.

Every team in the league has an O'Connor somewhere in their squad.

I don't think we can afford to play him, if we're keen on keeping clean sheets we can't play him or Bucko on current showings. We'll always concede. O'Connor makes too many mistakes, last night it got brought to light even more.

Hopefully we can sort their form out or start making moves to bring in someone better.

Defence had a shocker at fester is the worst player I've seen in a derby shirt for a long time absolutely dire never liked him would rather have played with 10 men on Saturday & Keogh I don't think the lad knows how to jump for a header does he??

Seriously? I think I could name a fair few that former Rams worse than him. O'C at CB is half decent, but it seems LB is no place for him. Seems strange but maybe Keogh just had a sh*tey day at the office, not to forget Whitbread was playing in the Prem for Norwich last season, wish we'd have snapped him up when he was out of contract. As for Nugent, well that one was unforgivable really.

Don't think we should drop Keogh on the back of one game. It's not likely to happen either - club captain and the best CB we have. Who would you have other wise? O'C and Buxton? O'C and O'B? I'd like to see O'B back in the team, but with Keogh.

Seriously? I think I could name a fair few that former Rams worse than him. O'C at CB is half decent, but it seems LB is no place for him. Seems strange but maybe Keogh just had a sh*tey day at the office, not to forget Whitbread was playing in the Prem for Norwich last season, wish we'd have snapped him up when he was out of contract. As for Nugent, well that one was unforgivable really.

Don't think we should drop Keogh on the back of one game. It's not likely to happen either - club captain and the best CB we have. Who would you have other wise? O'C and Buxton? O'C and O'B? I'd like to see O'B back in the team, but with Keogh.

Sort of money you think Whitbread gets? I would bet at least twice as much as our highest earner.

Such is life under this administration. But, if we had signed him for free instead of paying the £1m-ish we payed for Keogh, would it not balance out?

I think it runs a bit deeper than that - also, considering the fact he would choose Leicester over us regardless.

I don't think you can bring someone in on a lot more than everyone else in the team, it's okay if he is key player every week, but Whitbread had an awful fitness record which is why Norwich were not so keen on matching the deal Leicester gave him.

Whitbread at Leicester is an average earner - on around 15k-20k a week... It's like the Sammon and Vardy comparison, both are on similar wages brought for similar money but Sammon is expected to be a key player week in week out, Vardy the much worse footballer can get away with being a bit-part.

Rose tinted glasses? How is anything I've said to do with nostalgia? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' />

O'Connor has but in a number of decent performances at CB, and has been average to poor at LB.

I find it incredible that you've compared him to one of our worst players in our history, come on! He's alright, probably poor at LB - not absolutely sh1te.

Every team in the league has an O'Connor somewhere in their squad.

My reference to 'rose tinted glasses' had nothing to do with 'nostalgia', more a tendency to put a brighter aspect on things than would be normally expected. I've been watching the Rams for a long, long time and he is possibly in my top 20 of crap defenders, he reminds me of Keith Savin who 'played' in the 1950's and he was poor in the Division 3 North, in my opinion O'Connor might get away with being average in the current League 2.

It is all down to opinions and I stand by mine.

My reference to 'rose tinted glasses' had nothing to do with 'nostalgia', more a tendency to put a brighter aspect on things than would be normally expected. I've been watching the Rams for a long, long time and he is possibly in my top 20 of crap defenders, he reminds me of Keith Savin who 'played' in the 1950's and he was poor in the Division 3 North, in my opinion O'Connor might get away with being average in the current League 2.

It is all down to opinions and I stand by mine.

I think that's over the top myself on the back of one particularly bad performance. Equally, people were going too easy on the compliments after his performance agaisnt Watford (it should be noted that we conceded once Roberts went off injured and O'Connor was moved to LB).

I've only been old enough to go to watch Derby since the turn of the millenium and I can name 20 worse defenders than O'Connor.

He's been an established player in the Championship for a while now and I think it's silly to say he's League 2 level.

Surely in your experience as a Rams fan you've learned its unfair to judge and be so harsh on a player who's mostly been playing out of position, and in any instance, has only played half a season for us? Are you not looking at it with particularly 'negative' eyes (would that be brown-tinted spectacles?).

I don't think I'm seeing the situation in any particularly fond light. I'll probably forget O'Connor once he leaves us, because he's not brilliant, but just as importantly, he's not that bad. He won't stick in the mind like Camara, McEveley, Conolly, Davis, the Premier League performances of players like Moore, Leacock, Stubbs, Edworthy, and then Griffin, Hunt, Powell have done in the past half decade.

It's fair enough you have that opinion and stand by it, but I'm allowed mine too. My ultimate opinion is that I don't have much of an opinion on him yet - it's early days, and while I'm not stunned with his performances, I'm still not dismissing him.

I find myself surprised that people complain so much after a defeat. What did you expect? We win a few games and we will lose a few games. This is where we are right now. We will finish 12th-14th at best this season and probably for the foreseeable future. Might as well accept that this is as good as it's going to get with Clough in charge.

Archived