DCFC Book in progress - Share your stories.

MuespachRam

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

saw most home games and a lot of away from about 1957 onwards......

happy to contribute e.g. Reg Matthews ko of Alex Dawson was a memorable day......

Thanks so much, we are currently on a family holiday/getting away from talking/typing/dreaming/thinking all the time about this book...i will mail you when i get back and sort something out if thats ok..?

Thanks so muh AGAIN..

Cheers

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

That Facebook page is taking shape Mr Harris !!!

Give us a shout if you need anything else - One or two good tales to tell here and don"t get me started on England trips!!!

Brother...hows it going...yep the facebook thing is against everything i stand for i hate it and really teluctant o do anything with it hence why it is as it is.... I am on it though, its on my list of 1 million things to do this week...you need o start writing down some of thise stories and ESPECIALLY the England ones..!! Ha ha.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Book out!

I love that picture of Scargill as your avatar, it takes a special person to command the leadership of largest trade union in Britain with the disadvantage of having the worst comb over as a barnet since Bobby Charlton or the man from the Hamlet adverts

• 1 month later...

Scoring the winner at Wembley and elbowing my brother in the head because he was a lot shorter than me! Then looking across at my dad (who is usually quite reserved at matches) chanting "Who are ya?" to the West Brom fans after they kicked off again.

I also remember having no nails by the end of the game and I sat down when they had a last minute free kick, I just couldn't watch. When the final whistle went I was more relieved than happy or excited!

On the way home I had a cigarette thrown at me by an angry Baggies fan. Shouldn't have been winding him up I guess.

I heard it got rejected because of chapter 15, the one about Harry Redknapp, David Beckham, Rio, John Terry and Liverpool.

The reason being it was excatly the same as chapters 1-14 ;)

Only joking swiss !

• 1 month later...

From Wikipedia: 

Baseball was introduced to Derby by Francis Ley, an industralist who owned Ley's Malleable Castings. Following a visit to the United States of America in 1889, Ley decided that, as a way of ensuring a healthier and more productive workforce, an investment should be made in promoting recreation for his workers. During his journey to the States, Ley had seen the way in which baseball fields had been laid out by companies and factories for the use by their workers and decided to follow suit on his return to Derby. Consequently, Ley had the Baseball Ground built; a 12-acre (49,000 m2) park for the use of workers with cricket and baseball facilities.

The club ran away with the first championship after the National Baseball League of Great Britain and Ireland was established in 1890. However, pressure from other teams in the league over the number of American players on the Derby team forced Derby to resign at the end of the league's first season, though the baseball club itself lasted until 1898.

My comments: There is a photograph on the Wikipedia page (Derby County Baseball Club)  of the 1890 team -including Steve Bloomer. My great Grandfather Ted Presbury was also in the team. although he was left field, he often had to double as a pitcher because of unavailability of other pitchers.

• 2 years later...

Good day to you all.

As you are all aware this great football club we all support has a very “interesting” history.

I have been thinking about the idea of putting together a book highlighting this for years and years and years, well, recently I have been doing some serious research into the feasibility of this and have had some very interesting conversations with potential sponsors and now a firm offer from a publisher.

All I need now are some stories….this is where we all come in.

My idea is to tell the history of DCFC through the eyes of those who have experienced it, us, the Fans.

I am looking for stories of your favorite ever match, favorite player, the best era, the worst era etc etc, pretty much any story you have on anything to do with DCFC…..that is publishable of course.

We have so many huge events in our history, including league championships, European adventures, winding up orders, the new stadium, the old stadium, hooliganism, FA Cup winners etc etc etc we have all read about them but I want your versions of these events.

I have been speaking to a bunch of authors regarding this process and they have all told me that many people feel “embarrassed” to recount what they would say were “uninteresting to others” but these are exactly the accounts I want, these are the accounts that are fascinating to others.

I am appealing for all of you to have a think about it, anything about DCFC, your most memorable moment, good or bad, encounters with some of the amazing characters that follow the Rams, encounters with any of the players etc etc and throw it on an email to me.

I promise you that everything will be in the strictest of confidence, and every single mail will be replied to with probably questions for more details!

I have a time frame to complete this, but basically at the moment I am gathering as much information as I can so the editor can begin the slow process of improving our stories.

I really want this to be our chance to write our book about our club, anything you can do to help will be great fully appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Mike (MuespachRam)

Looks like the club have stolen your idea Mike :o

http://www.wearederby.com/rams-recollections/

Archived